Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Went today for the first time in a couple of years and stood in SK1 about 15 rows behind the UFS lot.

Overall I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent tbf considering it was a mis match and Rotherham didn't come to play.

Must admit I couldn't hear any singing coming from any other part of the ground though and certainly couldn't hear Rotherham, but that's probably more to do with my poor hearing than anything else :unsure:

Fair play to UFS but we do seem very reliant on that drum of theirs to get things going. I was hoping for a few more of the old skool chants but I guess times have changed. 

My lad really enjoyed it though and it's more about him having a good time than me these days. 

P.S. Singing "We can see you sneaking out" on 85 mins to our own fans felt weird. Glad we stayed to see Enzo and the players come over and show their appreciation at the end. 

I was sat with my Mum in the wheelchair area today in front of SK2 rather than my usual seat near the back of the singing section so it was interesting to compare and quite disappointing that I could only really hear noise coming from the singing section.

Even WYS was drowned out by the PA whereas normally I can only hear those around us singing.  I’m not sure what the answer is, maybe only play the first couple of lines to get people started.

In terms of singing during the match it didn’t really get going until we scored when ‘straight back up’ and Enzo’s song were both pretty loud and taken up in other areas.

No criticisms intended here just an observation from a different vantage point and I certainly don’t have any answers, maybe acoustics are part of the problem?

14 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Does anyone know this marky mark guy? Always seems to have a go at the singing section and I’m not sure why. They are the only ones trying to improve the atmosphere. I don’t get it if anything slag those off leaving early and not getting involved.

He’s the fella who likes to wear interesting head gear to away games, and refused to move from the singing section as that was his seat. All in all, I’d say it was pretty true to form that he’d slag the section off today.

11 minutes ago, C-man said:

He’s the fella who likes to wear interesting head gear to away games, and refused to move from the singing section as that was his seat. All in all, I’d say it was pretty true to form that he’d slag the section off today.

Sounds great 

1 hour ago, ElusiveEd said:

But nothing is as dire as it is/was today/these days!

With 30,000+ of us it should be hugely more vocal, audible and atmospheric than it is.

Every game the opposing fans taunt our atmosphere, or lack of,  and I stand there thinking " Well, I can't argue with them"

Even today "3-0 up and you still don't sing" rang out loudly from a few hundred of them and none of our 30,000 fans, or whatever was left by then, could be arsed to respond. 

What's it gonna take?

Thing is, we're a couple of blocks from Sk1 and can hear them loud as anything, we can't hear the away fans unless they're one of the louder mobs like Newcastle or Leeds. There's rarely a reaction towards the away singing because it's not that audible.

People leaving early doesn't surprise me, after all thousands of people sat on their hands and didn't make a sound as we slumped to relegation last season, so they're never going to shout their loudest about a successful side.

2 old farts behind me actually asked me to sit down whilst Daka was taking his penalty. So I did. When they stood up to celebrate I turned round and asked permission to do the same. It's becoming a rugby ground. Polite applause only.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, iancognito said:

Thing is, we're a couple of blocks from Sk1 and can hear them loud as anything, we can't hear the away fans unless they're one of the louder mobs like Newcastle or Leeds. There's rarely a reaction towards the away singing because it's not that audible.

People leaving early doesn't surprise me, after all thousands of people sat on their hands and didn't make a sound as we slumped to relegation last season, so they're never going to shout their loudest about a successful side.

2 old farts behind me actually asked me to sit down whilst Daka was taking his penalty. So I did. When they stood up to celebrate I turned round and asked permission to do the same. It's becoming a rugby ground. Polite applause only.

I hear ya but right next to the away lot you’ve got L1 one side and block P the other. On good days both can be really vocal, boisterous and loud but, today especially, there was next to nothing response to anything they chanted. 
 I noticed more were seated today than usual, it seems to go hand in hand with a dull atmosphere. Not sure which is causing which, sitting lending itself to quietness or the silence and lack of a noisy atmosphere causing people to sit. 
 I’m just hoping things change for the better when we have Prem teams back next season.

Not holding my breath tho. 

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Does anyone know this marky mark guy? Always seems to have a go at the singing section and I’m not sure why. They are the only ones trying to improve the atmosphere. I don’t get it if anything slag those off leaving early and not getting involved.

Attention seeker.

18 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Me and my mates gave it everything today in the singing section and got a fair few songs going. We tried the "Burnley are you listening" but maybe that might catch on. Decent atmosphere overall. We also got the "we can see you sneaking out" going.

Was trying so hard to listen to what this was from the front but couldn’t work it out, give it another go next week 👌🏼

8 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

I hear ya but right next to the away lot you’ve got L1 one side and block P the other. On good days both can be really vocal, boisterous and loud but, today especially, there was next to nothing response to anything they chanted. 
 I noticed more were seated today than usual, it seems to go hand in hand with a dull atmosphere. Not sure which is causing which, sitting lending itself to quietness or the silence and lack of a noisy atmosphere causing people to sit. 
 I’m just hoping things change for the better when we have Prem teams back next season.

Not holding my breath tho. 

I was in J and K a lot during the last Championship promotion and it was jumping in there even during some of the duller affairs. I just think it's the way it's going, especially our fan base and the anti-climax of pretty much anything since the title and UCL season.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lcfcben76 said:

Fair play to a few at the back of G1 who gave it a go today - saw the UFS lads look up a few times with what looked like surprised faces in 1st half.

Top & middle of SK1 need to up their game.

Yeah it was good to have a group actually singing in that section for once. It can be quite lonely at times! Hope those that were in G1 today keep coming. 

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Sunglasses would be much more understated than the stuff he wears on his head to the games.

Is this the smallish chap with glasses, wears a different syrup every away game, mowhawk, jester hat etc?

I am sure he’s not the full quid, after the darts first tournament at the basketball arena a few years back there were dozens of people around the city that night with those dart boards around their heads, the very next away game he had one on, I asked him if he went to the darts.

He said no, he’d bought the dartboard head gear online, madness as I’m sure they were giving them away that night.

When you ask him why he wears whatever is on his head, his answer every time is ‘why not’.

Its not his seat anyway, read the small print on your ST it should tell you that.

• Like 3