Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

5 minutes ago, BigMicky said:

Thankfully not. As I said it's embarrassing. Grown ups dressed in black, waving flags and trying to copy Crystal Palace fans. 

No no please tell me you sit in the east or west lol

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

He just wants to moan.  Its ok we've got 20,000 of them at every game.  They never do anything and don't like anyone who actually tries.  Pity them.

Terrible assumption, again your arrogance is astounding, but you won't see it, you think you are the answer. 

17 minutes ago, BigMicky said:

Not to be dictated to by anyone fan in the ground on how I should support my team, the arrogance is astounding. Was there a need for UFS the first year we got promoted?? No, because atmosphere is about spontaneity and UFS is far from that. That's why it will never work and you will just look as tin pot as that palace group.

I get what you're saying, especially around the spontaneous reactions.

But think about this.  Our current style of play, today for example with 74% possession, do you think there's going to be much of a spontaneous reaction to at least 50% of the time we have the ball? What do we fill the void with? New years day games are historically poor for atmosphere, not many can really be bothered, a lot are nursing hangovers on very little sleep, so today showed that without UFS it's very, very dull in the in-between bits. 

I do agree with what you're saying about UFS, I'm not their biggest fan with some of the stuff they say or do, and how they come across as a self appointed representation of the larger fan base, but I do agree with what they're trying to achieve and try and get a larger group of fans together all in one section to help improve the atmosphere. It's a problem we've had for 22ish years now. Football fan snobbery won't help, and that's why it won't work.

I sit not too far away from them, I've had people moan that "I'm giving them ear ache" or ask if I can keep it down a bit. I've had a bloke complain that my language was disgusting because I once called the ref a pr*ck who then ironically, not 1 minute later joined in with a chant that called for Forest fans born out of wedlock to go forth and multiply. 

Our fan base is ridiculously fickle at times, football chants should be cheesey, a little fun and at times self deprecating. Moaning about flag waving etc etc only serves to make the atmosphere worse because it's causing divides

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigMicky said:

Thankfully not. As I said it's embarrassing. Grown ups dressed in black, waving flags and trying to copy Crystal Palace fans. 

I dress in black but I’m not a member of UFS, should I wear blue and brown?

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

He just wants to moan.  Its ok we've got 20,000 of them at every game.  They never do anything and don't like anyone who actually tries.  Pity them.

You’re coming over a bit BigMicky with comments like that.

But he is making a more general point that real atmosphere isn’t constantly singing, regardless of what’s happening on the pitch. It’s a reaction to events, a celebration and a moment of pride. 

I like the efforts of UFS and don’t condemn them like big mickey but it’s true you can’t inspire people simply by singing non-stop irrespective of the mood and tempo of the game. 

Edited by Mr Weller 2
  • Like 3

Just now, Mr Weller 2 said:

But he is making a more general point that real atmosphere isn’t a constantly singing, regardless of what’s happening on the pitch. It’s a reaction to events, a celebration and a moment of pride. 

I like the efforts of UFS and don’t condemn them like big mickey but nevertheless acknowledge you can’t inspire people simply by singing non-stop irrespective of the mood and tempo of the game. 

Why isn't it?

1 hour ago, phoneticerror said:

I don’t think having a crap away end helped. They offered nothing more than weak renditions of “is this a library” and “Your support is ****ing shit”. Barely anything to get us going.

That and the fact that a lot of us are hungover.

I thought they were quite good considering the performance their team put on for them. Can you imagine our fans if we played like that?

:nigel:

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I know this whole season is a bit of a farce because it is just genuinely uncompetitive but even despite that it's embarrassingly bad.

The success we’ve had has been a blessing and a curse. People just can’t get up for games like today after the success we’ve had. It just seemed like no one cared today and no one was up for it. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

But he is making a more general point that real atmosphere isn’t constantly singing, regardless of what’s happening on the pitch. It’s a reaction to events, a celebration and a moment of pride. 

I like the efforts of UFS and don’t condemn them like big mickey but it’s true you can’t inspire people simply by singing non-stop irrespective of the mood and tempo of the game. 

So what is it then?

When Mads, Vesty, Faes and Winks are playing keep ball between them for 5 minutes, what do we do?

Whether you agree with what I'm about to say or not, if they aren't singing at times of boredom then what do they do? Football has changed a lot over the years. We now follow a game that is more accepting of a wider audience. Swearing is frowned upon. Families attend with younger children, wives and girlfriends go, football clubs try to attract to "tourist" and corporate fans. There's no vitriol, there's less anger, it's more of a day out these days than it is an afternoon with the lads full of beer etc

That spontaneous atmosphere doesn't exist like it once did, not just at our club but just about every professional club in the country. 

I really don't get what the problem is with filling the void of silence with singing, because if there was no singing every single game would be like today, there'd be a better and louder atmosphere at the snooker 😂

10 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Because it’s not an expression of how people feel and it’s forced.

It's an expression of how the people singing feel.

Plus, they always let what's going on on the pitch lead what's sung, whether that's a break, a corner or an individual player doing something good. Everything in between is about trying to keep that going when nobody else can be arsed.

• Like 1

BigMickey,

A little advice if I may....

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

You're welcome!

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3