Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

1 hour ago, JonnyBoy said:

I have to say - I used to go loads of away games 2010 - 2015.. a few more up until 2014 with great escape including West Brom away. I haven’t been to an away game until today for 8 years. I cannot believe how bad it is now (today) v back then.. I used to lose my voice after every away game even if we lost. Today I sat row N so fairly low down and was full of fans gorping up towards the top as if to say “start the chants”. Even when we scored there were no limbs.. I had to grab the people below me to even celebrate it was unbelievably bad. I’m actually glad I don’t spend what I use too going to away days compared to what I used to.. more chanting/bravado in the concourse and post match compared

to what happens in the stands.. a real eye opener for me today for someone who used to go a lot compared to now..hopefully it will get better but I doubt it tbh. 

a lot of people on here give the old people stick and point the finger at them for not creating the away atmosphere but looking around today it was a lot of young people who weren’t arsed.. pathetic 

How did you get a ticket for today if you haven't been to an away game in 8 years?

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Told you it would be shit 

Glad I stuck to my guns and didn't endorse football clubs taking the piss out of fans in the Championship 

Good on ya pal, your 1 man protest will hit them hard! Cheaper tickets all round next season! Wohoooo 

• Haha 2

Massive fan of Union FS but can’t get behind the reluctance to entertain the idea of a singing section next to the away end.

The main point is that it splits up those who want to sing at home games (regardless of the type of chants they like to sing). Say we have 3,000 of those people in the stadium, 1,500 in L1 and 1,500 at the other end of the stadium only dilutes the impact of either group (I’m in L1 and have seen singers leave to go to SK1).

Those using the Brighton cup game as evidence it wouldn’t work is a bit unfair. It was a midweek Carabao cup game with about 25,000 in the stadium and not representative of a normal league game.

The big opportunity this club and fan base has is the expansion. Move the family stand, make it safe standing and get Union FS and L1 evictees in there together and we’ll have something to work with. I already know it’ll be an opportunity missed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It was an average end today. Not a bad one, an average one.

But Hermansen, Faes, KDH and McAteer all asking for more noise in that second half. Can’t exactly say the away end helped in any regard with the 10-men challenge.

Think that's pretty much exactly how I feel on our end today. It was better than I expected and decent in the first half but still tonnes of room for improvement. The failing we have in adversity as a club in recent years goes beyond the players. The fans were absolutely nowhere second half.

The loud home atmosphere made it difficult for us first half but I thought it was OK.

The second half performance in the stands was an embarrassment. 1-0 with 10 men, our own players repeatedly trying to get something going yet very little response. The players needed us that second half and the result may have been different 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Massive fan of Union FS but can’t get behind the reluctance to entertain the idea of a singing section next to the away end.

The main point is that it splits up those who want to sing at home games (regardless of the type of chants they like to sing). Say we have 3,000 of those people in the stadium, 1,500 in L1 and 1,500 at the other end of the stadium only dilutes the impact of either group (I’m in L1 and have seen singers leave to go to SK1).

Those using the Brighton cup game as evidence it wouldn’t work is a bit unfair. It was a midweek Carabao cup game with about 25,000 in the stadium and not representative of a normal league game.

The big opportunity this club and fan base has is the expansion. Move the family stand, make it safe standing and get Union FS and L1 evictees in there together and we’ll have something to work with. I already know it’ll be an opportunity missed.

This won’t ever happen. 
Club has its plans set in stone now.

10 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Big boys on TikTok that all go into their shells when they see a blade of grass. Want online attention but awkward as **** in real life.

I would've said thats the generation we're raising but when you look at Scotland who've had a huge rise in younger fans going to games many of which are involved in the ultra groups, I wonder why this seems to be a uniquely english thing? 

8 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The loud home atmosphere made it difficult for us first half but I thought it was OK.

The second half performance in the stands was an embarrassment. 1-0 with 10 men, our own players repeatedly trying to get something going yet very little response. The players needed us that second half and the result may have been different 

All I could hear was Leicester chants all game 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It was an average end today. Not a bad one, an average one.

Pretty much how I feel most games.   Sometimes it's awful, occasionally it's great, usually it's just mediocre/average.

I came to the conclusion years ago that away support is what I call "the 3 thirds".

1/3 of our away fans make a real effort and try to sing and encourage the team.

1/3 of our away fans don't do much, but will occasionally get involved/excited at key moments.

1/3 of our away fans are pretty much a waste of space who offer no support to the team and mostly just sit/stand there in silence.

Which I suspect is the norm for most provincial clubs in this division.    Apart from Leeds, most of the really decent away followings are at the "bigger/richer" clubs in the Premier League.

• Like 1

I had to ask a guy in his 60s to lower his phone so I could see the goal for the penalty. I can't believe he didn't have ITV to see the highlights.

Oh and did anyone notice the girl begging for Faes shirt pre game when he was warming up the other side of the pitch? Absolutely tragic lol

Atmosphere was decent in parts but same old, the majority just aren't interested at all.

14 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Changing topic slightly but on your point about mobile phones. This is the current generation and it's awful. Went to a gig last night and half of it I watched through phone screens. What happened to enjoying the moment and being there. Same at the football, by all means take a photo at some point but don't video everything.

The last gig I went to had a young lad filming it, he'd film for a minute then put the phone in his pocket, seconds later get it out again and start filming again, this continued over and over again.  It's if they don't know what do do without a phone in their hand, I felt a little sorry for him.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

As a group, UFS have absolutely discussed the idea about moving next to away fans but it is not something we as a group want. And everyone will have their reason for this. Personally, being next to away fans has two major drawbacks.

1. People will focus on going at away fans, rather than focusing on our team and what is going on on the pitch. This was something we noticed in that Brighton test section.

2. When you have a loud away section, it can really disrupt you getting something going in the home section. Something I picked on at Cov yesterday. As the home fans made a fair racket, it was hard to get going in the away end.

What we are looking at currently and in particular in anticipation of next season, is how can we bring singers together, how can we improve the section we have. Moving next to away fans is not top of our list currently.

Also, as SemperEadem has mentioned, the club already seem to have plans around where safe standing will go and how the expansion may change any dynamics. Something we are looking to get more details on so we can plan accordingly for next season.

Never say never, moving nearer to away fans is not off the cards but there are other avenues we want to explore first. I know people here seem to have a problem with comparisons to the continent, but none to very little of home fan groups (at least the core) are ever near to away fans over there. And the atmosphere is great over there, no matter the opponent or score.

UFS are always open to suggestions but plenty have already been discussed/tested. The biggest challenge is getting people involved. The majority seem to need something negative to happen first (like a poor referee, away team/fans winding us up etc.).

Hope that gives a bit more context on where we are at right now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I have zero desire to spend my money and time to sing at the away fans. The banter is floor level shite about how many turned up, what colour jacket someone has on or who has chlamydia.

Section struggles at time due to others not wanting to join in, putting it by a

load of 8 year olds there to see Filbert the Fox won’t make it any louder.

The idea about banter with the away fans, a area exists for that now. You could even say that its pointless chucking UFS there as some say L1 is on its knees when its the area that you supposedly would get more singers from due to it being by the away fans.

Ive had a beer so writing shit but you get the jist.

Also along with this is another very honest reason.

You stick UFS next to an away support and with our numbers now you could very easily get dominated noise wise.

People at times I think view the whole 650 odd seats as UFS.

It can be tough going at times so imagine having it an even a harder uphill battle from minute one.

Edited by SemperEadem

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

As a group, UFS have absolutely discussed the idea about moving next to away fans but it is not something we as a group want. And everyone will have their reason for this. Personally, being next to away fans has two major drawbacks.

1. People will focus on going at away fans, rather than focusing on our team and what is going on on the pitch. This was something we noticed in that Brighton test section.

2. When you have a loud away section, it can really disrupt you getting something going in the home section. Something I picked on at Cov yesterday. As the home fans made a fair racket, it was hard to get going in the away end.

What we are looking at currently and in particular in anticipation of next season, is how can we bring singers together, how can we improve the section we have. Moving next to away fans is not top of our list currently.

Also, as SemperEadem has mentioned, the club already seem to have plans around where safe standing will go and how the expansion may change any dynamics. Something we are looking to get more details on so we can plan accordingly for next season.

Never say never, moving nearer to away fans is not off the cards but there are other avenues we want to explore first. I know people here seem to have a problem with comparisons to the continent, but none to very little of home fan groups (at least the core) are ever near to away fans over there. And the atmosphere is great over there, no matter the opponent or score.

UFS are always open to suggestions but plenty have already been discussed/tested. The biggest challenge is getting people involved. The majority seem to need something negative to happen first (like a poor referee, away team/fans winding us up etc.).

Are the club saying safe standing is coming then? They’ve been pretty much non committal up to now.   

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Surely they’ll be room to add more groups who have the desire to sing and sit next to the away fans, UFS haven’t got sole rights to the stadium atmosphere so maybe more would help increase the noise levels on match days, might be easier to create something with existing season tickets either in P or L1 who would welcome the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Foxoffice said:

Surely they’ll be room to add more groups who have the desire to sing and sit next to the away fans, UFS haven’t got sole rights to the stadium atmosphere so maybe more would help increase the noise levels on match days, might be easier to create something with existing season tickets either in P or L1 who would welcome the opportunity.

I think they have been clear and open on communication on here as to why they don’t want to stand near the away fans and I for one am in favour of being the other end and supporting the team.. they have been on an uphill task for years trying to engage with supporters and it’s showing that people are starting to realise what they’re actually about. I’m really excited about where the section will maybe move too or end up but when it happens I think it’ll be much better.. I think it may surprise you the amount of people who follow the group who don’t have sole rights to the stadium

2 hours ago, Foxoffice said:

Organisation between P1 and L1 would be quality but don't expect to be standing near the away fans after the expansion.