Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

8 minutes ago, promised land said:

You’re delusional chap, the club are more than happy to have a family friendly atmosphere with no animosity or loutish behaviour in the ground, they like the fan cam, shitty t shirts, clappers at the gates stuff.

Sadly the days of getting a loud ground intimidating away teams and making a hostile environment are long gone here, we are nothing like places like Elland Road for example.

At half time last night I looked along the row and there were 5 or 6 small flask cups and bags of sweets all neatly placed on the concrete wall behind the stair well, is this what going to the football has now become for some? 
It’s a family of 4 or so as well.

While we are on about atmosphere, I think our club has too many shufflers compared to other grounds, ie fans in the 60’s,70’s, yes I know they have a right to be here like anyone but as a proportion of the fan base when you leave the game the road out is littered with them shuffling, limping, hobbling away.

As the younger fans struggle to get tickets and the fan base gets older this will lead to a fan problem in seasons to come.

To use a phrase that senior fans might use, "What a load of rubbish"

I'd take up shopping at Tesco's on a Saturday afternoon if I felt like that.

By the way, if you don't want to get older yourself, Easyjet to Zurich, one way £50.

Fast, energetic and dynamic football gets the crowd going. Slow, patient possession-based probing doesn’t. It’s fairly simple really.

That is not a criticism of our style of play. Just a straightforward observation.

Anyone been to Manchester City’s ground recently? And heard the opposition fans chant “is this a library?” etc. There’s your evidence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hammo said:

Fast, energetic and dynamic football gets the crowd going. Slow, patient possession-based probing doesn’t. It’s fairly simple really.

That is not a criticism of our style of play. Just a straightforward observation.

Anyone been to Manchester City’s ground recently? And heard the opposition fans chant “is this a library?” etc. There’s your evidence.

Hardly any grounds are good though and most teams still don't play like Man City.

I agree that the crowd is better on a fast break etc but crowds are getting worse all the time, and no team can be breaking forward with numbers 24/7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancognito said:

Given that L block has given up (it must have done because every fanbase that's mentioned Leicester this season has said we don't sing and that's the only section you can properly hear from the away end) surely the last few in there still trying to get something going should look to move down to SK1?

It doesn't even need people moving to the section, even the blocks either side of it would work because it spreads the noise. Anyone saying they want to stay in L for the atmosphere is deluding themselves, the only atmosphere is hearing away fans singing "top of the league and you still don't sing"

It's not even about being part of UFS or " not understanding their private songs" it's about getting the voices and backing together. Sing your own Leicester songs, get everyone joining in with those but if it stays like this the ground will be a morgue and we're already on our way to being Norwich or QPR.

Why don't SK1 move to L1?.

In patches it was really loud. Other times very flat. Unless there is a change of something it will remain the same. Maybe a different crowd on Saturday will bring more?

They brought good numbers but the songbook was from a decade ago. I often wonder if we have the worst "banter" stuff but we really don't, listening to others.

20 minutes ago, promised land said:

You’re delusional chap, the club are more than happy to have a family friendly atmosphere with no animosity or loutish behaviour in the ground, they like the fan cam, shitty t shirts, clappers at the gates stuff.

Sadly the days of getting a loud ground intimidating away teams and making a hostile environment are long gone here, we are nothing like places like Elland Road for example.

At half time last night I looked along the row and there were 5 or 6 small flask cups and bags of sweets all neatly placed on the concrete wall behind the stair well, is this what going to the football has now become for some? 

While we are on about atmosphere, I think our club has too many shufflers compared to other grounds, ie fans in the 60’s,70’s, yes I know they have a right to be here like anyone but as a proportion of the fan base when you leave the game the road out is littered with them shuffling, limping, hobbling away.

As the younger fans struggle to get tickets and the fan base gets older this will lead to a fan problem in seasons to come.

262 pages in and this is the first time I’ve felt the need to comment on the atmosphere and the crap some folk come out with! I’m nearly 60, probably look about 70, and I sing and jump about at the back of SK1 more than most around me. An example of how age is not relevant is last night when a bunch of ‘lads’ came and stood at the back of the singing section moaning that there was no atmosphere where they were and they wanted to join in and add something to the atmosphere. After they just chatted for a while and offered nothing to the team I pointed out the irony of it all. To be fair, after that they occasionally clapped and uttered a few words of encouragement.

Finally, when I look down at the singing section at the rows and rows of silent and motionless (young and old) people I sadly realise there is no hope! Add to the section, move it or disband it will make no overall difference. Thankfully, knowing I have done my very best for the team helps me sleep at night…but that might also be an age related sleep disorder!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bmt said:

Hardly any grounds are good though and most teams still don't play like Man City.

I agree that the crowd is better on a fast break etc but crowds are getting worse all the time, and no team can be breaking forward with numbers 24/7.

Wild observation. More do than don’t, or atleast attempt to.

They’re boring enough to without others trying to replicate, badly.

Don’t get me wrong our poor atmosphere is up there with the worst but atmospheres up and down the country are poor it’s a talking point amongst most clubs, the one common denominator I hear largely? The fan bases are bored. Rightly or wrongly, entitled or not.

Edited by Matt

I think most people that rant about the atmosphere have already made their mind up that the atmosphere is bad before they even go to the game! I thought last night the atmosphere was pretty good, particularly considering in that 2nd half the team weren’t playing at their best and were under the cosh against a very well instructed team.

The best atmospheres are created by the football on the pitch. Even then the main singing has always come from specific areas and not the full stadia. Those of us old enough to remember Filbert Street know most of the noise came from the Kop (and at times the atmosphere was far far worse than it is now - Pleat era for example.)

To improve the atmosphere,  I think all of the fans who want to sing throughout the game (and presumably are moaning on here) need to relocate to as close to the the UFS area as they can.The increase in number will increase the volume and those of us who join in a bit sat elsewhere will join in even more. A bigger number around the UFS area will perhaps encourage the club to find a suitable location to have a safe standing area in the future.  

8 minutes ago, Viktor-LCFC said:

Why don't SK1 move to L1?.

Obviously only speaking about myself

There is no space there

It aint where safe standing is coming to

Tickets are more expensive

Desire to make an end work

No tifo

Less arsed about away fans

Doubt the style of support there will work IE wavers

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hammo said:

I'd wager it'd be exactly the same if we were top of the league winning 4-3 every week with proper caution-to-the-wind stuff.

If your theory was right, the ground would still be full and loud when we're pushing for last-minute winners now. It isn't.

Style of football on offer is the lamest excuse going when that style is producing *winning* football.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Even that doesn’t excite our fans. 

I watched the highlights and there’s a lovely one-two between Ricardo and Mavididi. Stephy is baring down on the penalty area and everyone in our “kop” has dozed off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'd wager it'd be exactly the same if we were top of the league winning 4-3 every week with proper caution-to-the-wind stuff.

If your theory was right, the ground would still be full and loud when we're pushing for last-minute winners now. It isn't.

Style of football on offer is the latest excuse going when that style is producing *winning* football.

If you believe the slow-paced style of the football on show does not contribute to the lack of atmosphere, then all I can do is heartily disagree with you.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, promised land said:

Where do you sit? 

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You cannot keep saying things like 'boring tippy tappy football so dull sideways backwards I love brexit GB news is the REAL news source wokey wokey' etc etc when the evidence does not stack up.

So the style of football you like, equates to  whether you wanted to leave the EU ?

Interesting thought!

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Expanding the section is pointless I'm sorry, it's not what people want to hear but in reality there is 30 people max (being generous) waving flags and jumping about all game - what does the section hold, 6/700? 

Take a cpl of hundred people who didnt want to move to a new seat last year, there was certainly more than 30 people that moved into the section who aren't bothered to join in. Effective;y the section is UFS who have moved down to the bottom, and not been replaced from about 5 rows upwards. 

Good on them for creating the atmosphere but it doesnt move the needle in a 30,000 crowd. Not sure what the answer is. 

Unfortunately you are by and large right with the 30 max comment.

I feel like the demand is there but has been stifled by stubborn STH who refused to leave "their" seat even though they have no interest in being in the singing section. Also not helped by the club's commitment to making it as hard as possible for new fans to get tickets to games.

Have seen previously with games like Wigan in the FA cup that we can get significant numbers in the section.

Safe standing the obvious way to improving things as we're at something of an impasse now. Goes without saying the club are moving at glacier pace with this

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hammo said:

If you believe the slow-paced style of the football on show does not contribute to the lack of atmosphere, then all I can do is heartily disagree with you.

The atmosphere was at it's worst yesterday in the last 20 minutes after we'd stopped bothering to play Enzoball and were just getting it forward

The atmosphere is embarrassing now, I don't go no more, due to alcohol, but it's a joke away fans stroll in take over while our fan base sit their drinking from their flask and munching on their pies watching in awe. Where are the young guns of Leicestershire to busy probably on their ps5 and iPhones, drinking Bud light.

Edited by Viktor-LCFC

I actually thought yesterday was alright considering our rock bottom standards.

Thought Ipswich fans were absolute sh1te until they scored, heard next to nothing from SK1.

Someone at the club needs sacking for giving them 3.3k when they shafted us with the bare minimum on boxing day, be interesting to see what we do with West Brom.

• Like 2