Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

14 minutes ago, 00rawat said:

I don't understand this and never will, regarding people leaving early, tickets aren't exactly cheap either, leave early you also miss something important in that game, that might have a big saying in a season, or obviously a goal and possibly  a comeback In a game. Like many have said you wouldn't leave the cinema way before a film ends!! 

Don't know about Cinema (hate going), but we were at a preview of We Will Rock You last year where loads of people around us left just before the encore (which is Bohemian Rhapsody). They missed Brian May coming up through the floor to play the guitar solos. 

14 minutes ago, 00rawat said:

find it really werid then again most of our fans are  really weird, like how most of our fans come to games and talk about there life and nothing regarding the game, must be them dam plastics!!! 😂😂

At one of those West Ham games (:nono:) 2 guys sat next to us were playing Nintendo Switch for pretty much the whole game, with a small break to go and get a disgusting Sausage dinner covered in cheese sauce. 

There are a lot of strange people out there, and some support our club, but not all of them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I blame social media. No one can concentrate on any single thing for more than a few minutes.

And the Tories. I blame those miserable feckers for pretty much everything.

Probably right about that. It's been getting worse over the past few seasons but never this bad and I'm getting really wound up about it. 

This is from 2015...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/09/english-football-early-leaving-syndrome

PS. If it is the fault of the Tories then I can't wait for it to change when Labour get elected :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I don’t get it either and it’s an individualistic mindset that thinks ‘I’ll look after myself and do what I want, when I want’ rather than place more importance on the collective identity. Which of course they have the freedom to do. 
In many years football will probably be 25 minutes each way because of concerns over player health and injury prevention, and for the mental health of the crowd as they can’t be expected to have the concentration to sit or stand in one place for longer than that.
Fans will leave their seat 15 mins before half time to head to the concourse to ask where their crap pie is, when the system in place to bring it to their seats is more than a minute later than the expected time.

Some people will still start leaving for home 10-15 minutes before the final whistle, whatever the score. This will be to beat the rush to get to their own individual or family electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft. Getting the 10 miles home in 2 minutes is much more appealing than getting home in 12 of course.

What people do in life becomes weirder to me every year, but they’ll say in reply 

‘Why are you bothered about what other people do?’ and they have a point of course.

But actually sometimes what people choose to do isn’t for the good of the greater cause is it? 

I agree, I think it's called getting older.:D

• Haha 1

Loud renditions of the "Loyal Supporters" chant of years past from our own towards our own when they are shuffling down the steps to leave early could/should/would hopefully embarrass them enough to reconsider their actions......

Then again, probably not!  

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

This is the bit a lot of people aren't getting. Its happening everywhere. A few years back i went to about 4 games at the London Stadium and people would stream out with out 5-10 mins to go. Remember seeing Noble coming on to take a penalty against Man U in injury time to draw the match - stadium was about 1/2 full at the time. 

West Ham definitely have a tourism fanbase since the move to the London Stadium. I was walking past the ground to the Copper Box Arena in 2019, during a game against Norwich I tihink, and loads of people were leaving at half time. They had had the "experience" and now they were going on to look at Tower Bridge or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

People are bored by football but they won't admit it. 

Grounds all over the place full of people who don't really know why they are there, but they can't stop. 

There is something in this but not just people in grounds. I'm far less engaged in the sport than I used to be, the 24/7 nature of it (fully realising I'm posting on a football forum available all the time) has taken it from a Saturday afternoon pastime (which it still was for a while in the Premier League era) to an enormous, all consuming thing. Nothing isn't covered, everything is known and the spontaneity has gone.

Said before that I think we are a lost cause, we aren't going to shift people easily to potentially get a vibrant new fanbase in and there appears to be little desire from within to change as seen by the reluctance to be involved in safe standing areas.

• Like 4

I think the lack of connection to players doesn’t help. When did you last see a player out in the wild?  I remember seeing Lennon Izzet etc in town at weekends drinking. The players now don’t move in our circles so what do we have in common?  I don’t feel anything like I did when ONeill was here. Even the title winners I didn’t feel that connected to 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FLAN said:

I think the lack of connection to players doesn’t help. When did you last see a player out in the wild?  I remember seeing Lennon Izzet etc in town at weekends drinking. The players now don’t move in our circles so what do we have in common?  I don’t feel anything like I did when ONeill was here. Even the title winners I didn’t feel that connected to 

You can’t get away with alcoholism while playing at this level. Although I saw Barnes and KDH in town several times last season in a worse for wear state in the middle of the week. 

46 minutes ago, Lionator said:

You can’t get away with alcoholism while playing at this level. Although I saw Barnes and KDH in town several times last season in a worse for wear state in the middle of the week. 

Social media would be all over it, too. The players in the 90s were mostly all British and living locally, now plenty live outside the county. Cannot see a drinking culture happening.

On 04/02/2024 at 17:19, Daggers said:

True for Stoke, not for Preston, Baggies and Blackburn. I commented in the other thread a quote from the Sheffield Utd commentary - same thing. I didn’t go back to check the earlier matches and turned off the TV soon after the Stoke match.

It’s ticket prices, it’s kick off time of day, it’s saturation TV coverage, it’s marketing departments, it’s no terraces, it’s the product and consumer mentality - the commodification of community, it’s last minute fixture changes, it’s financial clout imbalance, it’s multimillionaire twats with bags and Bentleys and drink driving charges, it’s owners taking the piss and incompetent senior management…

It’s because I never watch these shows or have 5 Live on as a rule. I never see these scenes and it was striking last night. Libraries and empty seats. The situation is only going to get worse.

its neo capitalism and corporatisation of the game

• Like 1

Any chance we can get this going 

Wout Wout, let it all out

He’s just a man we can’t do without come on

I’m talking to you, come on 

to the “Shout” Tears for Fears tune 

The intermittent shite chant we've got for him at the moment does not do the lad justice at all  

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FLAN said:

Players our in Waikiki most weekends.

11 hours ago, niyaminski said:

Just bring the atmosphere tomorrow. Forget what people around you are saying.

Sing loud and proud under the lights 💙

Oh well why didn't you just say this 285 pages ago!!

Right tonight will be like our premier winning season just because of the above statement- Cmon lads and lasses(and all the other options available!)

9 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Just watching the highlights of the Ricardo goal at Watford. Why is there never any limbs in our fanbase? It always looks so dead 😅

You tried jumping around when you've got your flask in one hand and Filbert the Fox in the other and your trying to pour your hot beverage of choice into that small beaker...NO i didnt think you had!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, FLAN said:

Barnes, KDH, Thomas and Maddison were out on the piss in town most weeks last season