Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

But the change has resulted in growth. Non league is growing (not checked any stats for this) but elite football is undoubtedly growing. If a material group of people are missing raw football, it is not showing,.You'll have plenty on this forum proclaiming they're 'done with it' like last season, but will still be on their knees gagging for STs and away tickets next season.

And if others switch to non-league, how long until they are bored of that and move onto ice hockey, then bored of that and move onto XX. You get my drift.

I think your comments are bang on GF but would just say eventually you find the thing you like the most if you are a self-critical thinker. 

I know I am that annoying bloke cos I have brought up in about five threads but when I go somewhere like Italy as I did at the weekend, I remember exactly why I love it. I am still yet to find a team I could truly love abroad like LCFC but feckin hell, when I got inside Bologna's ground on Sunday, I felt like a nine year old again. The colours, the noise, the stadium, the away end. Most games in England feel like they are played in Sepia colour compared to that. 

The bit that hurts the most is that these stadiums aren't full of young blokes. To the right of me was a bloke with his young daughter, a couple of elderly blokes to the left and bunch of teenagers in front of me. The tickets are all the barcode/QR code, they have CCTV, they have fairly draconian rules in some cases but it still feels raw and unfiltered. Still soul exists. 

Football fans have failed the game here - horrible to say but can't help feeling it. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Surely the correct response to the library accusation should just be “Ssssshhhhhhh” ? 

That’s been heard but it’s very few who do it. 

Guess that’s pretty standard for most songs and reactions at the KP tho. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ElusiveEd

46 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I'm probably on my own, but I find the performative, unnatural and manufactured atmosphere that's taken hold of football in recent years really grating. Forced 'limbs' (hate the phrase) - who is genuinely throwing themselves about like they're in a ****ing mosh pit when their team scores a goal unless you're winning the league or a cup final? Oh and don't forget to have someone film it as well, so it can be uploaded to social media and everyone can say what good little fans we are. Letting off pyro to celebrate a scrappy 1-0 away win in the arse end of nowhere - it all just seems a bit desperate to me and seems to be much more about keeping up appearances than anything else. Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old ****er and these people are genuinely trying to make a better atmosphere at games, but none of it works as it doesn't (and can't) address the root cause.

Football atmosphere will remain stale or manufactured because a) young people and b) working class people are generally priced out of going to most games. The demographic is older/wealthier than it's ever been and that won't change any time soon - the older and the wealthier generally aren't going to generate that atmosphere. This article from Vice back in 2017 sums it up, if anything things have gotten worse since then - English 'atmosphere' at games is one of the biggest myths out there:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/53xwp8/squeezed-fans-silent-stadiums-the-myth-of-premier-league-atmosphere

That's the reason why home games are dead, and why away games have a good atmosphere - the people who naturally want to make that kind of atmosphere are in the minority, at home games you've got a mix of different fans, from fanatics, to fairweather fans, to tourists - at away games you've got the hardcore element. Almost every club up and down the country has the exact same issue. A few flags, or safe standing, or pyro or fake 'limbs' isn't going to change the fact that most game-attending fans don't want to/aren't naturally inclined to create that atmosphere.

The irony in the attached article is the piece was published just  a few days after the Seville home game which was a tremendous atmosphere.

Edited by boots60

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

I think your comments are bang on GF but would just say eventually you find the thing you like the most if you are a self-critical thinker. 

I know I am that annoying bloke cos I have brought up in about five threads but when I go somewhere like Italy as I did at the weekend, I remember exactly why I love it. I am still yet to find a team I could truly love abroad like LCFC but feckin hell, when I got inside Bologna's ground on Sunday, I felt like a nine year old again. The colours, the noise, the stadium, the away end. Most games in England feel like they are played in Sepia colour compared to that. 

The bit that hurts the most is that these stadiums aren't full of young blokes. To the right of me was a bloke with his young daughter, a couple of elderly blokes to the left and bunch of teenagers in front of me. The tickets are all the barcode/QR code, they have CCTV, they have fairly draconian rules in some cases but it still feels raw and unfiltered. Still soul exists. 

Football fans have failed the game here - horrible to say but can't help feeling it. 

Agreed and yours and others posts on the groundhopping thread are excellent.But I would counter for every one of you that makes the effort to try new things, there are 5 who are ambivalent head-nodders simply posturing online about how much they hate the 'modern game' but doing nothing about it, and 10 who actually like football.

Agreed to an extent that UK fans have failed the game, but I reckon most fans (other than Germans) would love our quality of football and league competitiveness. I'd say about 80% of PL games are competitive, most of Europe can't touch that. 

Regarding young fans, interest is growing according to the 'young and beautiful game' report. 19% of 18-29 year olds say the PL is one of their top interests and that is growing. Older people are static at 21%. This is in contrast to other sports where the opposite is true. Posters like that Dags or whatever their name is write a lot of unsubstantiated waffle which sounds convincing, but actually means nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Do the tickets cost a similar amount to here?

54 minutes ago, boots60 said:

The irony in the attached article is the piece was published just  a few days after the Seville home game which was a tremendous atmosphere.

Not much of a surprise that CL knockout games have a good atmosphere really is it? They're the exception, not the rule.

• Like 2

I think hearing limbs has got to be the cringiest term in football and its meaning is to act fake for the audience you are about to upload too..

the worst I’ve seen it and everyone raves about their support is Leeds. Imagine being away to Rotherham, going 1-0 up in the first 2 mins and ending up 3 rows down with your arse in the air. It’s completely fake, however I can see what people mean when they want limbs.. scoring and giving it a bit more than the famous Brendan Rodger’s clap.. (then avoid looking like a Wii character as was a couple described at Cardiff lol

The European culture is coming into England whether the moaners like it or not.. from arsenal gathering in a tunnel with a drum marching to the ground, Ipswich and the flag wavers, rangers and how they get away with pyros every week.. some will like it, others won’t.. never have a seen a topic so circular as this one.. for the ones week in week out who want an atmosphere are simply damned if they do and damned if they don’t.. 

Has anyone mentioned it’s game night tonight??? Let’s go foxes.. 

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

I'm probably on my own, but I find the performative, unnatural and manufactured atmosphere that's taken hold of football in recent years really grating. Forced 'limbs' (hate the phrase) - who is genuinely throwing themselves about like they're in a ****ing mosh pit when their team scores a goal unless you're winning the league or a cup final? Oh and don't forget to have someone film it as well, so it can be uploaded to social media and everyone can say what good little fans we are. Letting off pyro to celebrate a scrappy 1-0 away win in the arse end of nowhere - it all just seems a bit desperate to me and seems to be much more about keeping up appearances than anything else. Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old ****er and these people are genuinely trying to make a better atmosphere at games, but none of it works as it doesn't (and can't) address the root cause.

I am a grumpy old fvcker - and I think “manufactured atmosphere” like this is not only endearing, it’s the only thing approaching lifeblood in the modern game. 

For my money, the UK’s best Ultras. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly unbelievable how embarrassing this is. Enzo having to try and get the fans to make some noise AFTER Vardys scored a goal. Bunch of absolute bores in our fanbase. All you can hear is the section and occasionally the Wednesday fans. Albeit the section is like a background noise (not blaming them whatsoever, if anything the club for not allowing them to expand) 

• Like 1

Sounded flat to me to be honest, but I was watching on TV.  Just think it’s the course of doing well and expectation. No jeopardy, no heighten emotions, little atmosphere. Same with Man City and some other huge clubs. Style of football is patient and slow. It doesn’t lend itself to huge waves of excitement. 

54 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

This must be a joke no? It's eerily quiet!

Nope in the SK1 corner it was rocking especially considering there were a few spaces in there. No idea about L block or anywhere else,can never hear them anyway these days

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Thought it was much better tonight in SK1. That Fatawu chant is an absolute banger.

Agreed. Sounded decent on the TV tonight I thought. 

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Agreed. Sounded decent on the TV tonight I thought. 

What speakers have you got lol

On a serious note, I fully believe the section was good cos that’s all I could hear on the tv but was still very vague. Problem is none of the other idiots wanted to join in apart from hit their clappers 😭