Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

51 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Elland Road was quieter than the KP for much of last night. They woke up with a late goal, like any ground would. 

It was but they were losing for most of that, its as quiet as our place when were winning.

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It was but they were losing for most of that, its as quiet as our place when were winning.

I think this is modern football though, we aren't unique. There aren't many grounds I've visited recently and thought wow. I'm really harking back to the 90s for most of it. 

10 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Don't take any offence mate. It just wrangles because the media overegg Elland Road's atmosphere. A bit like how pundits all wank over Liverpool's Kop when it's silent as soon as YNWA ends. Like you say, all English grounds are mostly quiet nowadays. 

Sky last night were raving about the role the atmosphere played in the Leeds comeback. I couldn't disagree more. I think your team, having been outplayed for 80 minutes, dragged themselves back into it. They didn't have any encouragement from the fans at 0-1 down. The players shifted the momentum on their own.

The scenes at FT were impressive though. Our stadium would have cheered then filed out politely (those that didn't leave on 80 minutes that is). 

It's all about what it's being compared against.  I doubt any Leeds fan is trying to pretend ER is always on it and the noise is constant.  It isn't but compared to almost all other grounds in the country, it's more consistently on it.  The peaks are not only hit when we're winning btw and some of the best atmospheres i've seen at ER is when we've been behind.  The one common thing i've seen is that in vital games, people seem to get game focussed and nervy so there's a drop off.  What you saw last night was not how it always is when we're behind, far from that.  There are variances like in everything.

The media rave about ER because of what it's like when it rises and what they see elsewhere by comparison. It can be an incredible theatre at it's best. 

I've never seen scenes like the last 15 and at FT in any other stadium in England.  Happy to be given a comaprative example if i've somehow missed that but doubt I have.

Edited by Pub breath

5 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Leeds do seem to just have a ridiculously passionate fanbase all around the ground. Whereas ours is about 500 in two places 🤣

Maybe it's to do with their fan base being, largely, *working-class?..

(*Someone on here mentioned the other day that most LCFC fans don't sing much at home games as they're middle-class..)

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

(*Someone on here mentioned the other day that most LCFC fans don't sing much at home games as they're middle-class..)

Jeez, that hasn't been true for about 4 decades. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Hadn’t thought about it that way. Northern fans in general seem to have more passion than the south. 

3 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Hadn’t thought about it that way. Northern fans in general seem to have more passion than the south. 

Absolute rubbish this. Elland Road was quiet for 70 minutes last night then went mental as any stadium would.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

It did but you can’t deny Leeds fans in general are some of the most passionate in the country. 

Says who? I hate this rhetoric. I've lived in Leeds, they have passionate fans, everyone does. Next you'll be telling me it means more to scousers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

That's not been true of any club outside regional divisions for decades. Certainly in the top two divisions your match going fanbase will be substantially more casuals, tourists and families than the old stereotypical working class football fan.

54 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

49 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Absolute rubbish this. Elland Road was quiet for 70 minutes last night then went mental as any stadium would.

Another example are Newcastle. Media pretend St James' is loud yet, I've been about 6 times, it's among one of the quietest grounds I've ever been too. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Says who? 

Fans of many clubs who visit ER.  Fans of other clubs I've taken with me to games.  Pundits.  Ex players continually say it was the loudest away ground they played at.  Cesc Febregas said it was the closest ground he'd heard to a Latin ground in England.  But yeah, it's all subjective.  You can't really measure it, can you?

Who do you think are the most passionate fans in England out of interest?

55 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Fans of many clubs who visit ER.  Fans of other clubs I've taken with me to games.  Pundits.  Ex players continually say it was the loudest away ground they played at.  Cesc Febregas said it was the closest ground he'd heard to a Latin ground in England.  But yeah, it's all subjective.  You can't really measure it, can you?

Who do you think are the most passionate fans in England out of interest?

Man united. 

Their away support anyway.