Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Sad isn't it.

I went to see Fiorentina on my birthday, chalk and cheese as far as atmosphere goes. Even all the 'happy clappy' sections are driven to join in with the noise due to the magnificent ultras in the curva.

The snobbery over here is daft. People say they don’t want organised chants and capos because they like the impulsiveness of the English chants. One, that can still happen and two, the game has been cleansed of so many of those incidents that used to cause a reaction from fans.

The days of a late challenge, dirty tackle or a late lunge have gone so therefore crowds don’t have them to react to now.

Folk have to let go of the old days and embrace the next generation who want to get an atmosphere going.

You only win when you’re singing…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RYM said:

The days of a late challenge, dirty tackle or a late lunge have gone so therefore crowds don’t have them to react to now.

Folk have to let go of the old days and embrace the next generation who want to get an atmosphere going.

So true. So many of that old skool lot aren't even at the games anymore or have faded away into family stands & less vocal areas. I'll back any group that want to prevent a stale, fairground atmosphere taking over.

Just now, moseeds said:

I don't understand why some fans think Enzo Maresca would have continued to use exactly the same tactic in the Premier League as he did in the the Championship. That argument doesn't make any logical sense.

to be fair he probably would have, but there was always a school of thought that teams would come at us more in the PL and not sit back, like some teams did which caused us problems at times. something we'll never know now

The Liverpool preseason and League Cup game under Maresca were a good glimpse of what we'd be like in the PL.

We'd be dangerous, create chances and score goals but we'd be a bit open.  I'd back us to stay up if we had a manager whose teams scored more than literally a goal a game on average.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2024 at 19:16, Nolucklcfc said:

Tbf homesdale fanatics (their ultras group) get plenty of crap from their own fans too. It’s a British football thing I think. 

This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I think they're pathetic little ultra wannabes. 

Dress out all in black some with balaclavas on and all of their songs have "Ole" or "Allez" in them. Can't stand those types of chants.

The tifos are impressive and as we've found with UFS tifos they generally lead to a better atmosphere but yeah, I can't be arsed with people jumping up and down swinging their arms around like they're from Buenos Aires.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The Liverpool preseason and League Cup game under Maresca were a good glimpse of what we'd be like in the PL.

We'd be dangerous, create chances and score goals but we'd be a bit open.  I'd back us to stay up if we had a manager whose teams scored more than literally a goal a game on average.

Yes and no. That was his first few games. He learned during the season too and for his own job safety would need to adapt. Even Pep adapts season after season.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I think they're pathetic little ultra wannabes. 

Dress out all in black some with balaclavas on and all of their songs have "Ole" or "Allez" in them. Can't stand those types of chants.

The tifos are impressive and as we've found with UFS tifos they generally lead to a better atmosphere but yeah, I can't be arsed with people jumping up and down swinging their arms around like they're from Buenos Aires.

Moon is that you?

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I also thought that most of our really good performances last season came against better teams - Southampton home and away, Leeds away (arguably our best performance despite somehow contriving to lose), Bournemouth away in the cup - and the games we really struggled in were mainly against bus parkers. I've no doubt we'd have been on the end of some hammerings along the way but I think we'd probably have been OK if he was given the same sort of backing as Cooper.

For all that they are spoken about as being at opposite ends of the pragmatism scale, Enzo for me did a much better job of actually utilising the strengths of his squad than Cooper has in his admittedly short time. That is maybe more reflective of the fact that as far as a lot of people are concerned, pragmatism = none of this tippy tappy nonsense, get it launched rather than what it actually means.

• Like 1

So finally accepted after well over a decade that I am now an honorary South Londoner as well as born Leicesterian. Also the away end had sold out, and I was almost without.

After several visits as guest of friends over the years, finally succumbed and handed my membership fee over to Palace. There was a seat going spare in the Holmesdale, so thought why not, let me go and support both of my local clubs, in a buy-one-get-one-free deal.

The Crystal Palace ultras were something else - as close to the European Ultras we see on TV. And it was FANTASTIC FUN.

The noise was terrific. The away end barely registered except when the drumming stopped and with it the home chants.

The closeness of the fans to the players worked both ways: perhaps made the home team nervy when the result was slipping away. But the more extroverted players engaged and encouraged the frustrated crowd, Mateta especially.

At one stage, with Palace dead on the city goal, a huge BOOM of an illegally lit firecracker pierced eardrums and stands, and may have stunned the attacking Palace player enough to prevent what looked like an excellent scoring chance.

The songs were almost nonstop from the first whistle. As frustration set in the songs slowed but never for long. The chants easy to join once the words were deciphered.

Prior to entering the stands police sniffer dogs were on duty, odd I thought as it's a rare sight at the King Power Kop. 2 lads were the appointed leaders of the pack. One had the megaphone and songbook in hand, the other his faithful conductor. The songs worked well with the marching drums. The songs were clean, family friendly even (mostly).

When the first whistle blew the crowd were already on their feet. Nobody sat down again until the half-time whistle at which point the office workers tried their best to hide lower back problems. The same in the second half. Stewards were more dispersed, more relaxed. Security made a half-hearted attempt to find the firecracker bandit.

As Palace searched for their equalizer the crowd around me grew restless, but remained positive. There was little swearing and abuse from the lower tier because it was still such a personal experience. Compare that to say the West Ham stadium away end and the experiences were almost of entirely different sports.

The Ultras tried their best to add a unique fandom flavour. It gave the rest of the home support license to politely clap and watch the spectacle on and off the pitch. The away end was not only physically distant but audibly unregistered.

With the sun shining, for 90 minutes it felt more Krakow than Croydon. It's easy as opposition fans to poke fun at a club trying hard create its own unique football experience, especially in a city so saturated with top Premier League clubs.

So hats off to Palace and their Ultra mandem Fans for creating something very special.

I'm sure I'll be back, very soon.

Video of being behind the giant TIFO:

https://streamable.com/d7j312

behind-the-wall-crystal-palace.jpg

mic-crontrollers-crystal-palace.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, moseeds said:

So finally accepted after well over a decade that I am now an honorary South Londoner as well as born Leicesterian. Also the away end had sold out, and I was almost without.

After several visits as guest of friends over the years, finally succumbed and handed my membership fee over to Palace. There was a seat going spare in the Holmesdale, so thought why not, let me go and support both of my local clubs, in a buy-one-get-one-free deal.

The Crystal Palace ultras were something else - as close to the European Ultras we see on TV. And it was FANTASTIC FUN.

The noise was terrific. The away end barely registered except when the drumming stopped and with it the home chants.

The closeness of the fans to the players worked both ways: perhaps made the home team nervy when the result was slipping away. But the more extroverted players engaged and encouraged the frustrated crowd, Mateta especially.

At one stage, with Palace dead on the city goal, a huge BOOM of an illegally lit firecracker pierced eardrums and stands, and may have stunned the attacking Palace player enough to prevent what looked like an excellent scoring chance.

The songs were almost nonstop from the first whistle. As frustration set in the songs slowed but never for long. The chants easy to join once the words were deciphered.

Prior to entering the stands police sniffer dogs were on duty, odd I thought as it's a rare sight at the King Power Kop. 2 lads were the appointed leaders of the pack. One had the megaphone and songbook in hand, the other his faithful conductor. The songs worked well with the marching drums. The songs were clean, family friendly even (mostly).

When the first whistle blew the crowd were already on their feet. Nobody sat down again until the half-time whistle at which point the office workers tried their best to hide lower back problems. The same in the second half. Stewards were more dispersed, more relaxed. Security made a half-hearted attempt to find the firecracker bandit.

As Palace searched for their equalizer the crowd around me grew restless, but remained positive. There was little swearing and abuse from the lower tier because it was still such a personal experience. Compare that to say the West Ham stadium away end and the experiences were almost of entirely different sports.

The Ultras tried their best to add a unique fandom flavour. It gave the rest of the home support license to politely clap and watch the spectacle on and off the pitch. The away end was not only physically distant but audibly unregistered.

With the sun shining, for 90 minutes it felt more Krakow than Croydon. It's easy as opposition fans to poke fun at a club trying hard create its own unique football experience, especially in a city so saturated with top Premier League clubs.

So hats off to Palace and their Ultra mandem Fans for creating something very special.

Fair play to you, I don’t think the Nigel’s even love Nigel ultra fanatics fc this much. This is some immense Nigel loving 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Guest said:

I also thought that most of our really good performances last season came against better teams - Southampton home and away, Leeds away (arguably our best performance despite somehow contriving to lose), Bournemouth away in the cup - and the games we really struggled in were mainly against bus parkers. I've no doubt we'd have been on the end of some hammerings along the way but I think we'd probably have been OK if he was given the same sort of backing as Cooper.

For all that they are spoken about as being at opposite ends of the pragmatism scale, Enzo for me did a much better job of actually utilising the strengths of his squad than Cooper has in his admittedly short time. That is maybe more reflective of the fact that as far as a lot of people are concerned, pragmatism = none of this tippy tappy nonsense, get it launched rather than what it actually means.

Good post.

Maresca was a complete ideologue in terms of system but he used different players quite well. Vardy, Cannon, Daka, & Iheanacho all had a run last season and added a different dimension each.

He also used Praet, Akgun, McAteer, WMM sparingly but well which was resourceful .

I despise the idea that pragmatism = putting men behind the ball or direct footbsll. When facing the prospect of a points deduction the pragmatic thing is to be very attacking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moseeds said:

Sounds like you’re a Palace fan.