Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

2 hours ago, moseeds said:

So finally accepted after well over a decade that I am now an honorary South Londoner as well as born Leicesterian. Also the away end had sold out, and I was almost without.

After several visits as guest of friends over the years, finally succumbed and handed my membership fee over to Palace. There was a seat going spare in the Holmesdale, so thought why not, let me go and support both of my local clubs, in a buy-one-get-one-free deal.

The Crystal Palace ultras were something else - as close to the European Ultras we see on TV. And it was FANTASTIC FUN.

The noise was terrific. The away end barely registered except when the drumming stopped and with it the home chants.

The closeness of the fans to the players worked both ways: perhaps made the home team nervy when the result was slipping away. But the more extroverted players engaged and encouraged the frustrated crowd, Mateta especially.

At one stage, with Palace dead on the city goal, a huge BOOM of an illegally lit firecracker pierced eardrums and stands, and may have stunned the attacking Palace player enough to prevent what looked like an excellent scoring chance.

The songs were almost nonstop from the first whistle. As frustration set in the songs slowed but never for long. The chants easy to join once the words were deciphered.

Prior to entering the stands police sniffer dogs were on duty, odd I thought as it's a rare sight at the King Power Kop. 2 lads were the appointed leaders of the pack. One had the megaphone and songbook in hand, the other his faithful conductor. The songs worked well with the marching drums. The songs were clean, family friendly even (mostly).

When the first whistle blew the crowd were already on their feet. Nobody sat down again until the half-time whistle at which point the office workers tried their best to hide lower back problems. The same in the second half. Stewards were more dispersed, more relaxed. Security made a half-hearted attempt to find the firecracker bandit.

As Palace searched for their equalizer the crowd around me grew restless, but remained positive. There was little swearing and abuse from the lower tier because it was still such a personal experience. Compare that to say the West Ham stadium away end and the experiences were almost of entirely different sports.

The Ultras tried their best to add a unique fandom flavour. It gave the rest of the home support license to politely clap and watch the spectacle on and off the pitch. The away end was not only physically distant but audibly unregistered.

With the sun shining, for 90 minutes it felt more Krakow than Croydon. It's easy as opposition fans to poke fun at a club trying hard create its own unique football experience, especially in a city so saturated with top Premier League clubs.

So hats off to Palace and their Ultra mandem Fans for creating something very special.

I'm sure I'll be back, very soon.

Video of being behind the giant TIFO:

https://streamable.com/d7j312

behind-the-wall-crystal-palace.jpg

mic-crontrollers-crystal-palace.jpg

Megaphone lollol 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Trekerz said:

Might be a good idea for @Union FS to put out a social media message about creating the atmosphere on Saturday. Just push it home for a few people over how big this game actually will probably be in our season

I am hoping people know how big the game is!

Everton will sell out as always and in recent seasons they have been one of the louder fanbases so I'm hoping that adds to our atmosphere.

12 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

its a must win. we need  the place rocking.

club foot from the start

shoot the runner

underdog

WYS

Republica

Robbie Williams LMEY

Flags waving

ticker tape sporting blue/greens

pointing at away fans

beating the drum

dressing all in black

having ten pints in O'neills pre match.

Still queuing for the loos 5 minutes into the match…

4 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

The fact there seems to be a bit of needle between us and Everton should help a bit. 

It'll be interesting to see if the knuckle draggers in our fan base sing "Feed The Scousers" in September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trekerz said:

Might be a good idea for @Union FS to put out a social media message about creating the atmosphere on Saturday. Just push it home for a few people over how big this game actually will probably be in our season

people know it's a big game ffs lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trekerz said:

Ahahaha, we'll see if you still think that at 10 past 3 on Saturday

i don't think anyone's reactions 10 minutes into the game will change my opinion that 99% of the ground will know it's a big game 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trekerz said:

I know they are grafting away trying to get a tifo over the line in time.

5 hours ago, SystonFox said:

its a must win. we need  the place rocking.

club foot from the start

shoot the runner

underdog

WYS

Republica

Robbie Williams LMEY

Flags waving

ticker tape sporting blue/greens

pointing at away fans

beating the drum

dressing all in black

having ten pints in O'neills pre match.