Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Good to see some balance debate about it this morning. The safe standing option is going to be telling and it’s surprised me that given the clubs previous notion for following what the big 6 do, they haven’t installed safe standing. 

I think it would save a lot of hassle for them. 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Good to see some balance debate about it this morning. The safe standing option is going to be telling and it’s surprised me that given the clubs previous notion for following what the big 6 do, they haven’t installed safe standing. 

I think it would save a lot of hassle for them. 

Safe standing for sure - considering someone almost went overboard and killed themselves earlier on in the season this is surely the logical option.

5 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

In interest in what way? 

That’s not necessarily a bad thing if it’s young kids there who want to be part of the noise but want to see the game rather than be stood at the front. 

Like actual toddlers who can't even watch the game. 

It's clearly just become a place for people to stand who want to enjoy an atmosphere but contribute nothing to it. 

Basically atmosphere tourists 

Edited by Lako42

Our fanbase is an odd one. It can be decent, we’ve seen it over the years where the KP is bouncing. It just feels like we have to be playing really really well and be high up in the league for it to properly get going consistently. Having said that, I remember in the first full season under Rodgers and it was pretty poor then. It’s down to passion ultimately. We do have passionate fans but just not as many as a Leeds, villa , forest (sorry but we know they have a far better atmosphere) wolves etc. I don’t think people should be criticised for not wanting to shout and scream all game, if they want to support the team in a different way fine. The difference with us is that there is just too many fans that want to do that and therefore it impacts the atmosphere. I’m in the signing section and hate that the ground is as quiet as it is, but you just sensed even before the game Saturday, that there wasn’t the same buzz as Tottenham at home for example. I know we’d lost to united but hardly in poor circumstances. It filters down onto the pitch, but the performance was horrible so certainly didn’t help. I think the singing section has been good but you just need more like minded fans to do it. We don’t have enough, it’s really that simple. Safe standing would be an interesting introduction and is obviously needed. I fear the club will take away the singing section next season. I do think the ongoing frustrating with Rodgers and the soft nature of the team is playing more than half a part I have to say. We are very much a sing when you are winning fanbase. Away from home it can be brilliant or terrible. Numbers we are fine, noise it needs radical change. It’s a mindset in the club. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yes so you are agreeing with my point that what is happening on the pitch dictates the atmosphere - by referencing last year in the Europa Lge.

I don't think anyone can deny that what happens on the pitch drives the atmosphere. However, it is important that it doesn't become the only driver of atmosphere. As much as a lot of the fanbase don't seem to like supporting the team when the going gets tough, it still needs doing. The perfect storm is a team playing well and fans giving it everything and putting the effort in.

It's one of the lamest excuses in the book of why the atmosphere was rubbish "because we are being served sh1t football on the pitch".

The problem that’s been mentioned before that rings truer every time a discussion about atmosphere is had is the thing about people scared to lose ‘their’ seat/season ticket. You can bank a large portion of the ground aren’t that arsed where they are on a Saturday, they just want somewhere to go. And losing their season ticket means they won’t get it back, and have to then pay the ridiculous single match ticket prices. 

On the section not being a unmitigated success, one thing it has done in my mind is apportion a part of the ground which can drive forward the movement for safe standing, which I’m sure we all can agree is a positive one. Some act as if it was going to be the yellow wall or the curva nord after one season. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I don't think anyone can deny that what happens on the pitch drives the atmosphere. However, it is important that it doesn't become the only driver of atmosphere. As much as a lot of the fanbase don't seem to like supporting the team when the going gets tough, it still needs doing. The perfect storm is a team playing well and fans giving it everything and putting the effort in.

It's one of the lamest excuses in the book of why the atmosphere was rubbish "because we are being served sh1t football on the pitch".

I think you have to also respect some people (OAP's, fans with disabilities as an example but not exclusive) don't wish to be vocal all game, but still show their support for the team in a way they can. I think it's comments about being vocal being directly linked to how good a supporter you are can get some people's backs up - and reflects some of the criticism of UFS and some of the posts in the last 10 pages. On the flip side if you want to you should be vocal and support the team irregardless of how they are playing - but like anything in life there are opinions and people have different ones. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I think you have to also respect some people (OAP's, fans with disabilities as an example but not exclusive) don't wish to be vocal all game, but still show their support for the team in a way they can. I think it's comments about being vocal being directly linked to how good a supporter you are can get some people's backs up - and reflects some of the criticism of UFS and some of the posts in the last 10 pages. On the flip side if you want to you should be vocal and support the team irregardless of how they are playing - but like anything in life there are opinions and people have different ones. 

Absolutely, and I have stated that in posts before (possibly in this thread). I just don't believe that we have 99% of our crowd in that category, because that is what it feels like at a lot of games. Thus having dedicated areas in stadiums allows those with the same/similar mindset to be in the same spot (e.g. singing section, safe standing, family block etc.).

5 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

It may get peoples backs up but it’s true I’m afraid mate, however you want to try and talk around it. People who make noise and encourage are better SUPPORTERS because they support the team. People who attend and sit quiet and moan may well love the club but they don’t actively SUPPORT. 
Think of a fun run/charity run. All the people go in the race for whatever reason. The lad who finishes first is a better/superior runner to the old lady who comes in last place (after a little stop for a flask of tea). Both may have different reasons for going but in terms of running the race the lad who comes first is undoubtedly a better runner.

Now swap the race scenario for going to watch Leicester play, the same two people who ran the fun go to the match.  Again the lad who makes noise and encourages is a better supporter than the old lady who came last and again brings her flask of tea to the game but sits in silence cuddling her filbert teddy and talking to Doris sat next to her who have both had the same seat since the ground opened. 
Now I’m sure the old lady is a lovely lady, a terrific wife, mother and grandmother but unfortunately and it doesn’t matter how much you try to wrap it up, she is not as good a runner or active SUPPORTER as the lad who run the fun run in 35 minutes and then creates an atmosphere with his ufs mates.

The atmoshere started to turn crap the year after we won the league and has got worse ever since. I know fans don't like some of the stuff people used to sing, but when that we luv yer, the semi-poznan, the scarf waving  and all that other stuff was being done, it was a genuinly descent atmosphere in the whole ground. Somehow, i can't see those sort of heights ever being achieved again. Calling out other fans for not joining in is a bit low though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

It may get peoples backs up but it’s true I’m afraid mate, however you want to try and talk around it. People who make noise and encourage are better SUPPORTERS because they support the team. People who attend and sit quiet and moan may well love the club but they don’t actively SUPPORT. 
Think of a fun run/charity run. All the people go in the race for whatever reason. The lad who finishes first is a better/superior runner to the old lady who comes in last place (after a little stop for a flask of tea). Both may have different reasons for going but in terms of running the race the lad who comes first is undoubtedly a better runner.

Now swap the race scenario for going to watch Leicester play, the same two people who ran the fun go to the match.  Again the lad who makes noise and encourages is a better supporter than the old lady who came last and again brings her flask of tea to the game but sits in silence cuddling her filbert teddy and talking to Doris sat next to her who have both had the same seat since the ground opened. 
Now I’m sure the old lady is a lovely lady, a terrific wife, mother and grandmother but unfortunately and it doesn’t matter how much you try to wrap it up, she is not as good a runner or active SUPPORTER as the lad who run the fun run in 35 minutes and then creates an atmosphere with his ufs mates.

What a load of bollox.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Will just clear this up for the purpose of clarity if nothing else, because some posters seem to think they know every UFS member by name and twitter/foxestalk username. It's not fair to have words put in people's mouths or posts/views whatever attributed to the group inaccurately. 

No one actually involved in the group thinks like this. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Good grief, can't even waste any energy replying to this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lcfc098 said:

How has it not been a success?

I'm in SK2 and can't say it's that much different, it's just a drone.

I'm now old, no matter how much it pains me to say it, so I'm not "down with the kids", but the make up of the songs, to me personally doesn't lend itself to people joining in. 99% of the ground don't have clue what's being sung. So how can they join in? And no, expecting them to go and learn the lyrics isn't really an answer.

The most popular "songs" in recent years were lyric light, and mostly contained a tune anyone could join in with. When you are short on numbers joining in, simplicity is where you need to aim at. That being said, you'll struggle to get them going with the current football. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Win two games and we’re back, lose against Man United and Arsenal and Brendan’s style of football is why we have sh** fans. Laughable fan base 

I’m more inclined to say “we’re back” on the 2nd half performance against Man Utd and Arsenal.

Ask yourself, which was the change and which has been the constant throughout the last 2.5 years? 

• Like 1