Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

12 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Does this really happen? There aren't any grounds I can think of where this is the case. Forest, who are in their first season back in the Premier League and lauded for their supposed atmosphere, was an awful atmosphere against us. Because it was 0-0 for most of it and a poor game. 

We had the reputation for one of the best atmospheres when we stayed up and won the league. I think it's one extreme to the other when we are judging how good/bad it is. 

I didn’t go to Forest away, but for them in particular I thought their fans were quite impressive at our place even after we knocked the fourth in. Sung that annoying “Forest are magic” chant all the way to full time.

Just now, Aleksz said:

I didn’t go to Forest away, but for them in particular I thought their fans were quite impressive at our place even after we knocked the fourth in. Sung that annoying “Forest are magic” chant all the way to full time.

Woopy doo. Loads of away fans do that when they're being tonked. 

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

Woopy doo. Loads of away fans do that when they're being tonked. 

Yeah… that was my whole original point chief.

Our fans want a performance on the pitch to justify creating any semblance of atmosphere. Where as some fanbases out there are just passionate enough to create an atmosphere off the bat to get their lads going.

That’s the difference.

• Like 3

I was about to post when I read the eloquent and balanced post by @Finnegan. I echo nearly all of it, but would like to make clear my admiration for all of you trying to make change for the better.

I apologise for being unable to contribute either vocally or anything other than very rarely, as going to games is something that life has made very difficult to do now - which isn't my circumstances as much as the changes in the way ticketing is administered and how the demographics of those attending is being shaped. Interestingly given I'm not from the working class, it applies to me because I'm the 'wrong' sort of middle class (single, no children, not worth much in financial terms) and, from a sociological perspective, those amongst you who also feel alienated by the club might give pause and see that it can happen to others too - it isn't a social class issue as much as a 'do you fit this notion of a generic norm' issue, and believe me, I stumble over this in other aspects of life too. I only mention this to try and be inclusive, not for your pity, because I have so much to be grateful for in life. 

I teach now. The pupils I enjoy teaching most are the ones who try to change and improve, no matter how many mistakes they make along the way. Finners is right - listen to other opinions and tweak where you can - but UFS, you have my support because you don't just abdicate responsibility, you are trying to effect a positive outcome against considerable odds, and my wish for you is that more people recognise that, whether you don't get everything spot on or not. More power to you all. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I do think the bulk of the original point you wanted to challenge though was a common enough criticism that instead of trying to always argue the point, it's worth taking seriously, depending on the extent to which UFS want to see growth.

There'll always be criticism on the internet. Personally, I don't really think you should get drawn in to responding to it all that much. I know you'd probably be the first to say you're not an official spokesman for the group but you and a few others on here are vocal enough that you get treated that way, fairly or otherwise. Often the criticism will be a vocal minority just looking to throw abuse at something - whether it's a TV show, a footballer's performance, a computer game, or some public figure, there'll always be loud and unpleasant comments and I just don't think any of the targets of that should really relegate themselves to trying to debate the finer points of the abuse.

But when you do get the same criticism piping up repeatedly, in this case that the general aesthetic of UFS is off-putting to a lot of people, then you do have to ask yourself the questions - do you care and should you care? Because I guess the answer depends on what you want out of it. If the members of UFS love the aesthetic of a clearly continental, pretty German inspired supporter group and you that's what you enjoy and what you want to do regardless then who gives a shit if people take the piss or find it "cringey"? You do you, guys, and godspeed. .Fvck the haters, you aren't hurting anyone and you can express yourselves as you feel.

But if you do want the movement to grow and you do want people to participate then constantly arguing back to criticisms like B_Fox instead of listening to it and thinking about it probably isn't helping you. Because that perception that you "just want to be like European ultras" gets repeated so, so many times that it clearly is a sticking point for a lot of people and it clearly is a very common perception of UFS. And it's sort of hard to argue with, I mean look at the name they chose, look at the logos and the stickers, even just the way a lot of the guys choose to present themselves on a match day. Saying "oh but other Leicester fans put stickers everywhere" is irrelevant, if people see UFS stickers fvcking everywhere (and they do) with the little fox in the shades and the bucket hat that's what people see and form their opinion on.

People like B_Fox and others repeatedly tell you, even if indirectly, why they aren't getting involved and it gets hand waved off a lot by the same people on here who don't give a fvck. And, again, that's fine if you don't really care about growth all that much. But if you do, eh.

To be honest, there's plenty of stuff that lads in the group let slide but the problem is if inaccurate portrayals of how the group act are being discussed, then those rumours can take hold and change people's perceptions of the group (the whole "well, I heard they think they're better than us" trope, for example). I'm only really interested in correcting people who are in essence making up stuff, like the guy the other day who had to back down about some chants that UFS have never sung.

Other than that, if people don't like the group's methods then that's entirely up to them but it's sometimes helpful to explain the actual reasoning behind that rather than just letting people make the "wannabe ooltras" assumption that so often gets cobbed about. My post got a like from B_Fox, so hopefully that's a sign that they were happy with my to response to the points they'd raised.

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I do think the bulk of the original point you wanted to challenge though was a common enough criticism that instead of trying to always argue the point, it's worth taking seriously, depending on the extent to which UFS want to see growth.

There'll always be criticism on the internet. Personally, I don't really think you should get drawn in to responding to it all that much. I know you'd probably be the first to say you're not an official spokesman for the group but you and a few others on here are vocal enough that you get treated that way, fairly or otherwise. Often the criticism will be a vocal minority just looking to throw abuse at something - whether it's a TV show, a footballer's performance, a computer game, or some public figure, there'll always be loud and unpleasant comments and I just don't think any of the targets of that should really relegate themselves to trying to debate the finer points of the abuse.

But when you do get the same criticism piping up repeatedly, in this case that the general aesthetic of UFS is off-putting to a lot of people, then you do have to ask yourself the questions - do you care and should you care? Because I guess the answer depends on what you want out of it. If the members of UFS love the aesthetic of a clearly continental, pretty German inspired supporter group and you that's what you enjoy and what you want to do regardless then who gives a shit if people take the piss or find it "cringey"? You do you, guys, and godspeed. .Fvck the haters, you aren't hurting anyone and you can express yourselves as you feel.

But if you do want the movement to grow and you do want people to participate then constantly arguing back to criticisms like B_Fox instead of listening to it and thinking about it probably isn't helping you. Because that perception that you "just want to be like European ultras" gets repeated so, so many times that it clearly is a sticking point for a lot of people and it clearly is a very common perception of UFS. And it's sort of hard to argue with, I mean look at the name they chose, look at the logos and the stickers, even just the way a lot of the guys choose to present themselves on a match day. Saying "oh but other Leicester fans put stickers everywhere" is irrelevant, if people see UFS stickers fvcking everywhere (and they do) with the little fox in the shades and the bucket hat that's what people see and form their opinion on.

People like B_Fox and others repeatedly tell you, even if indirectly, why they aren't getting involved and it gets hand waved off a lot by the same people on here who don't give a fvck. And, again, that's fine if you don't really care about growth all that much. But if you do, eh.

Very good post to be fair. Whatever you do in life, the best thing you can ever do is self reflect on what your do personally or as a collective.

30 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Yeah… that was my whole original point chief.

Our fans want a performance on the pitch to justify creating any semblance of atmosphere. Where as some fanbases out there are just passionate enough to create an atmosphere off the bat to get their lads going.

That’s the difference.

I think you've missed the point. Our fans do that.

They're just tired of knowing after spending all their money getting anywhere that they're going to be reduced to watching sideways bullshit for 90 minutes. And it's been the same for years.

It's about changing the whole feel of the club. I haven't been massively Brendan out but everything needs a massive change in feel for next season.

21 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I think you've missed the point. Our fans do that.

They're just tired of knowing after spending all their money getting anywhere that they're going to be reduced to watching sideways bullshit for 90 minutes. And it's been the same for years.

It's about changing the whole feel of the club. I haven't been massively Brendan out but everything needs a massive change in feel for next season.

So why not watch it at home then if they're tired of spending their money watching sideways football? I wouldn't pay to go to something i don't enjoy

• Like 1