Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Guest Fox99

Important to note that the atmosphere recently would have been there without clappers, due to the magnitude of the games and change of manager. It does seem to me the club's matchday experience is more aligned towards a certain target market, when you add in goal music and 'fan cam' as well. LCFC could actually be used as a case study to demonstrate the impact of modern football - the stadium's current lack of character, coupled with the aforementioned stuff.

I’ve seen numerous comments online from opposing fans such as what has happened to Leicester? I’ve wondered if it’s a case of the decision makers not grasping fan culture? I also think there's a case of clappers being used simply because they are there, rather than a real collective want for them. My impression is that the club are willing to listen to feedback, which is always obviously the first step towards change.

Edited by AlexFT

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 hours ago, AlexFT said:

I’ve seen numerous comments online from opposing fans such as what has happened to Leicester? I’ve wondered if it’s a case of the decision makers not grasping fan culture? I also think there's a case of clappers being used simply because they are there, rather than a real collective want for them. My impression is that the club are willing to listen to feedback, which is obviously the first step towards change.

Honestly, why do you care what opposing fans think? I couldn't give a ****, not as if it's not a point scoring agenda on twitter to see who can out ratio each other.

If people didn't use the clappers then you'd have a point, but they clearly do and it's considerably more noisy as a result. I don't like them either, I find them bloody irritating but to make the point that they make no difference to the noise in the ground is just not true - plenty in our fanbase seem to like them as is demonstrated by them using them.

Wish people would make more noise down the ground than they do in this thread about something that's absolutely irrelevant. Opposing fans saying mean things about our ground on twitter won't keep me up at night.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

I thought it was quite clear why clappers got bought back. The club panicked and internally some suit thought this could be my moment. The second time we had them was that West Ham game where it gets said ‘we stayed up because of um’ (ffs). They I'm sure thought right this could be my moment here to make a bit of name for myself by getting that story repeated and It would be my idea type thing.

I was surprised they took so long to come back as its fairly known how much Top loves a clapper, coupled with the culture internally to please him.

On the noise thing they no doubt make more noise than thousands sat not participating actively. However the noise is both an awful sound and detrimentally impacts songs being sang. Having watched the Everton game on the box the first point was so apparent. 

Yeah the football was toss but if more had been clapping they wouldn't have been brought in. Not the other way round in if the singers sang louder.

I think we will see them at every game now again.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AlexFT said:

Important to note that the atmosphere recently would have been there without clappers, due to the magnitude of the games and change of manager. It does seem to me the club's matchday experience is more aligned towards a certain target market, when you add in goal music and 'fan cam' as well. LCFC could actually be used as a case study to demonstrate the impact of modern football - the stadium's current lack of character, coupled with the aforementioned stuff.

I’ve seen numerous comments online from opposing fans such as what has happened to Leicester? I’ve wondered if it’s a case of the decision makers not grasping fan culture? I also think there's a case of clappers being used simply because they are there, rather than a real collective want for them. My impression is that the club are willing to listen to feedback, which is always obviously the first step towards change.

What fan culture though?  I totally agree with chocolate teapot...if fans didnt like them they wouldnt use them, the atmosphere has been dead (apart from the odd game) when the clappers were removed.

English football culture as some of us are old enough to remember has gone, the only culture than has made a positive difference is the ultra style support.  Just look to scotland and see how its transformed the support at some clubs.  That 'type' of support hasn't caught on in England but to me its the only hope we've got to bring back the atmosphere inside english grounds.  If every club had an ultra group, their own section with safe standing it would transform the atmosphere inside english stadiums.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2023 at 22:13, MattFox said:

we took the music from Porto after the CL game at their place

Correct me if I am wrong someone but I am pretty sure a section of fans used to sing the tune of the song long before the club started using it.

Edited by Fox92

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Correct me if I am wrong someone but I am pretty sure a section of fans used to sing the tune of the song long before the club started using it.

Yeah. Started out as a piss-take after Porto, then the club decided that meant it should be done to death to the annoyance of everyone in the ground.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

What fan culture though?  I totally agree with chocolate teapot...if fans didnt like them they wouldnt use them, the atmosphere has been dead (apart from the odd game) when the clappers were removed.

English football culture as some of us are old enough to remember has gone, the only culture than has made a positive difference is the ultra style support.  Just look to scotland and see how its transformed the support at some clubs.  That 'type' of support hasn't caught on in England but to me its the only hope we've got to bring back the atmosphere inside english grounds.  If every club had an ultra group, their own section with safe standing it would transform the atmosphere inside english stadiums.

Couldn't agree more with this tbh. Ive loads of time for what union fs are doing and safe standing needs to happen. That said complaining about clappers does nothing, don't think they detract from what anyone else is trying to do.

I don't think the singing section has made that much difference though tbh as l1 are still louder from where I sit and it's just created two sections rather than one. Sadly the kop used to be noisy but it isn't anymore either. The whole thing needs to be looked at.

Top doesn't even go to away games anymore so won't see the other atmospheres and those around just tell him he's great. This is a massive miss from the club tbh.

5 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Yeh I don't know what 'fan culture' in the UK actually is apart from a Twitter hashtag. We're all obsessed with money, so naturally the clientele has become family-friendly and middle class. The amount of times you read on here about 'the club isn't listening omg!!!!!!!!!!!' in relation to goal music and clappers, to me they clearly are listening. People go mad for the goal music, filming each other bopping along to it, for the Bournemouth game the clappers seemed to be generating huge amounts of excitement.

EDIT - Scotland is a different kettle of fish, it's a backwater that generates no money. If they had the infrastructure we did, they'd clamp down on the clowns who follow Rangers and Celtic in a heartbeat

Edited by grobyfox1990
pressend send to quickly

I don't have an issue with Clappers.  I don't use them (I have hands that when you hit them together also make a noise - almost like a clap!) but I don't mind if others find it helps them to create noise in support of the team.  But while the club might think that having the clappers helped create a better atmosphere it was actually mostly down to having a crowd that had some hope of a performance from their team.

• Like 2

Guest Fox99
7 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I don't think the culture is completely gone in English football, there are still some notable atmospheres even though it has evolved.

Guest Fox99
15 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Honestly, why do you care what opposing fans think? I couldn't give a ****, not as if it's not a point scoring agenda on twitter to see who can out ratio each other.

If people didn't use the clappers then you'd have a point, but they clearly do and it's considerably more noisy as a result. I don't like them either, I find them bloody irritating but to make the point that they make no difference to the noise in the ground is just not true - plenty in our fanbase seem to like them as is demonstrated by them using them.

Wish people would make more noise down the ground than they do in this thread about something that's absolutely irrelevant. Opposing fans saying mean things about our ground on twitter won't keep me up at night.

This is often the response and I understand there's a fine line in caring about what other fans think. However, if the fanbase are content to put up with stuff that detrimentally effects the club's image (in my eyes), then obviously it means things are more than likely going to stay as they are. 

Edited by AlexFT

Guest Fox99
1 hour ago, SickoDicko said:

The best thing to do with the clappers assuming they are here forever now:thumbdown:, is to have a collection point where if fans want one they can go grab one, I would assume this would reduce the noise a lot from them as not everyone in the ground will have them and only fans who really really want one will go and get one? 

Agree with this, if the clappers are here to stay. As a side point, obviously they've recently been brought back again but prior to this, the removal of them was well overdue. Clappers have always been a no-no for me but there was a definite feeling for some time they had become ineffective. Yet the club persisted with them season after season, so I hope this doesn't happen again.

On 03/05/2023 at 07:10, Mike the Metal Ed said:

I was watching Tielemans' FA Cup winner last night and remembered even that had to have the ****ing goal music trying its best to ruin the moment.

They could have played Backstreet Boys are Back straight after and I wouldn't have noticed for 10 minutes 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I get what you saying but it shouldn't even need a duty free businessman to do this and call the shots on atmosphere. Its not his remit or certainly expertise.

He calls everything though and no one questions it. Its very dysfunctional if you ask me but then you've got people who've made careers out of saying yes to him.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He calls everything though and no one questions it. Its very dysfunctional if you ask me but then you've got people who've made careers out of saying yes to him.

a) we have no idea who calls what and who questions what.

b) that's how owning stuff works, you get to do what you want with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
23 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

a) we have no idea who calls what and who questions what.

b) that's how owning stuff works, you get to do what you want with it.

Right.