Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Fulham (H) | 03/01/23 | Post-Match Thread

Warning: my view might trigger many readers. 

I enjoyed that game. In fact, it reminded me of what I love in football. It was cut-and-thrust, physical and passionate. Both teams on the edge, back-and-forth riding their luck. Death by football it wasn't, and praise be for that! 

I realised that I'd become become bored with our stale attempts to control a game, the tendancy to pass pass pass in probing for an opening. We took risks last night, I liked it. Youri played a number of balls down channels looking for Vardy. We lost possession but quickly tried to win it back. Balls were going into the box. We went direct, moved the ball quickly. There was urgency in how we played. 

Tbh, I'd rather watch that than what we've become used to. The desire and commitment was evident. I realised that that is what stirred me in football, what I wanted to see. The lack of control and 'quality' didn't bother me.

Further, I think that kind of performance is better for moral and team spirit. They deserved a draw, they'll feel hard done by... but they'll also feel they bust a gut to get a result. I said in the match thread that I was proud of the effort. I still am. The desire is at the core of any god performance, we can build on what we saw. I'm also back in touch with what I like to see in our performances. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ronnup said:

Tale Youri out of that team and its a  championship side 

Have Maddison in the side and Tielemans' input isn't that critical. Madders is far more important than the Belgian, whose dubious consistency is a frustrating as his glorious moments are breathtaking.

It's an insult to rate City players as Championship level. Our pre WC recovery showed the team's capability. It's the management structure that seems erratic and inconsistent. Rodgers seems to have cast an evil spell over the good running of the Club. I suspect his priorities lie elsewhere. Either that or Top has middling interest in stabilising the club.

7 hours ago, Bptiger said:

Well if cags lost his place in the team because he pulled out of a tackle , god help Thomas , because he was so lazy in getting back , he deserves to be dropped . And by the way who was the player , playing in Perez shirt , we should keep him he had a pretty damn good game . 🤔🤪

Thomas is anything but "lazy"  as you term it. I've never seen him less than fully involved. He's probably getting caught in a desire to get forward to supply Barnes and his main responsibility for of defending. But he's an easy target for frustrated fans, isn't he?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Youri was brilliant, but he’s playing for a move isn’t he? (Cynical I know)…. But the rest of the team look drained, the first half was utterly dreadful, there wasn’t any desire at all. 

I'd slightly disagree on both points. Most of the time Youri has been a brilliant professional he's never clamoured for a move and he always gives his all. Secondly I felt literally the first 20 minutes killed us, such an unacceptable slow start which ultimately cost us, but it wasn't the whole half. Perez missed a sitter and we looked ok towards the end of the half.

3 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Thomas is anything but "lazy"  as you term it. I've never seen him less than fully involved. He's probably getting caught in a desire to get forward to supply Barnes and his main responsibility for of defending. But he's an easy target for frustrated fans, isn't he?

That one through ball aside I thought he was poor last night with an over tendency to play back rather than ahead and failing to make runs forward to receive the ball when the option was on. But what really disappointed me was him jogging around rather than looking to close a player down and put them under pressure. Hopefully, just a temporary lack of confidence but he looks well off PL standard at present 

• Like 1

Its noticeable how much more organised nearly every team in this league is compared to us. We drift through games and hope for the best. 

At the end of the day it was top half team winning at a bottom half team. They had organisation and confidence in what they were doing. Yes on another day we take one of our chances but we are so reliant on taking every chance we get because we create so little. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The_77 said:

Thought Perez was pretty decent aside from his miss. There’s that. 

Perez always the first to be the fall guy on ft......his ball control is second to none, he certainly wasnt our worst player last night.  Barnes, Vardy, Ndidi, Thomas, Albrighton were considerably worse.

9 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I went to the game with my 17 year old son for his first Leicester game (he lives up North with his mum) and he couldn't believe we lost as we had enough chances to win easily

on the crowd he was impressed we kept singing so much and didn't realise Fulham had any fans until the end of the game they were so quiet. We were in SK1 - great effort by the singing section in fairness to them 

Ahh wow Bob, first game with the lad congratulations, sorry it wasn't a win for him but this is the Leicester way😁

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Perez always the first to be the fall guy on ft......his ball control is second to none, he certainly wasnt our worst player last night.  Barnes, Vardy, Ndidi, Thomas, Albrighton were considerably worse.

Yeah I thought Perez was good (at times) Barnes isn't up to speed he needs something, think we're missing Maddison, his confidence and general attitude towards the game is infectious. 

Wout did well not to be a trembling wreck after Liverpool. 

He's having a mad few months isn't he, moved to prem (tears), earns a national team call up (tears) goes to Qatar doesn't play, (fine but) sounds like thier camp wasn’t a great environment. Then back to sunny Leicester for some record breaking fvckuparry (tears). Hope his Mrs is a very supportive woman😁sure she is. Hope she's alright actually. Mad 6 months.

12 hours ago, TJQuik said:

He's booked someone for timewasting but blows the whistle at exactly 7 minutes?

Utter clown

My issue isn't even with the 7 minutes, or when he blew, but what is the point of booking someone in the 96th minute for timewasting when he's done it since the 25th minute. I understand it was his first premier league match and he was completely out of his depth, but in the first half he spoke to Leno about time wasting, walked away and blew his whistle twice and he continued to delay. Book him then and he doesn't do it for the remainder of the match.

Fulham abusing the head injuries rule as well is setting a dangerous precedent.

• Like 1

We are still way too soft when it comes to 50/50s. We struggle against any side with an ounce of physicality. 

Fulham just wanted it more - simple as. Yes we had chances but the table doesn’t lie. 17 points from 18 is relegation form.

I was there and Fulham weren't as good as I thought they'd be. We had the better chances and should of won the game, Perez probably should of had 2, Vardy, Barnes, Telemans all came close. We did throw a lot at them second half. It was just one of those nights unfortunately. The injury list we've got and the lack of money is a worry though. The squad is looking very thin.

2 hours ago, taupe said:

I enjoyed that game. In fact, it reminded me of what I love in football. It was cut-and-thrust, physical and passionate. Both teams on the edge, back-and-forth riding their luck. Death by football it wasn't, and praise be for that! 

The first 25 minutes was some of the most boring dross i have seen us play. I think a neutral would have enjoyed the last 30 minutes and the team really did give it a go. I didn't enjoy the last 30 minutes because, even though we were attacking hard, because we were playing attacking Rodgers ball and i knew nothing was coming from any of those attacks.

I do wonder when Youri does his strikes, whether internally Brendan is seething because he lost the ball and didn't recycle possession. 

Edited by Chelmofox

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I do wonder when Youri does his strikes, whether internally Brendan is seething because he lost the ball and didn't recycle possession. 

I'm going to assume that this is a joke.

I don't enjoy seeing us beaten, but the team gave it a proper go last night, and as the night wore on it became apparent it just was never going to go in. I also knew with certainty that Perez would get loads of flak, despite that, desperate shooting apart, he did most with the ball, got us out of a few holes and committed himself. 

Decision making tends to be off when confidence is dented, and it is painful to see Vardy unable to recapture his previous brilliance. For me, as much as anything, this is the reason we're struggling so much now - we do not have a player who can create a goal seemingly out of nothing anymore, and he doesn't now preoccupy defenders to the required extent. I really hope something clicks back into place for him before he decides to calls it a day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

The first 25 minutes was some of the most boring dross i have seen us play.

No, we didn't start too well. Not just boring but aimless. We do need to address that as it's all too frequent an occurrence.

I think it was when I started to watch as a neutral (I'd given up hope of us winning!) that I realised I was enjoying the game for what it was, and then channelled that feeling back into being a supporter. That's where my feeling of pride came from; 'my' team might not be very good but at least they gave it a good go!

Seems to me like everyone's losing their heads on this forum since the Prem restart.

I get it's frustrating and depressing and makes us angry and disillusioned but we've got to stop looking for excuses here.

Is it Rodgers? Is it the players? Is it the board? Is it the injuries? Who's fault are the injuries? Wheres the money? 

Right now its simple.....we are not very good. Without Maddison we lack any cutting edge. We need reinforcements in defence and up front and we also need to sort out contract situations.

I believe with a few tweaks we can dig ourselves out of this mess....we just need to forget yesterday and what's gone before and focus on what is yet to come.....dwell on the past and am afraid we are doomed

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

Did u watch the game , if so he never made any effort to get back , he let him go , if cags got cut because he missed a tackle than Thomas should be looking at the same 

3 hours ago, Clarkielcfc said:

Astonishes me people actually clap them off, yea there were a few boos when the players did the ‘show our appreciation to the fans’ crap, but people actually clap them, baffles me, rewarding failure, nice one 🙄

So if we all give boo them, that makes a difference does it, then next home game the players will be worrying about making a mistake, in case the fans get on his back

Guest StevieLynex
44 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

The first 25 minutes was some of the most boring dross i have seen us play. I think a neutral would have enjoyed the last 30 minutes and the team really did give it a go. I didn't enjoy the last 30 minutes because, even though we were attacking hard, because we were playing attacking Rodgers ball and i knew nothing was coming from any of those attacks.

It’s ok. I’ve just checked Winther Brendan. Young Tielemans cleverly recycled the ball off the bar so that’s fine

Absolute bloody garbage. After the appalling display on Boxing Day and a somewhat improvement at Anfield I fully expect a half decent performance last night. How disappointed was I.

I fully appreciate the injury list (most Clubs have them) but those who are selected to play and cross the line to put in what can only be described as an abject display is totally unacceptable.

Gillingham is a real banana skin.

6 minutes ago, Blueman1967 said:

So if we all give boo them, that makes a difference does it, then next home game the players will be worrying about making a mistake, in case the fans get on his back

Accept the plaudits, accept the boos particularly after putting that performance in.