Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 2-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

10 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Got beat by League One Sheff Wednesday a few day ago.

Not Brendan’s fault that Top has let the squad rot and theres no competition in the squad for places and our best players are long term crocked or were sold without being replaced, and super Jamie Vardy is now 36 and has had a lot to deal with over the last few months with his wife being a grass being televised in a 2 park Channel 4 prime time special over Christmas :scarf:

You must be a result of one of Brendan's flings.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Trying to be positive. I still have a lot of faith in Daka. I thought he did well at times yesterday. He is never going to be that guy to win a header against a 6'5 defender and unfortunately, a lot of times he did something good or held it up, he was left alone. It be interesting to see him next to Kelechi for a sustained period of time. 

it certainly doesnt help playing one isolated striker when our midfield is lacking our best player. 

I'm hoping the new manager finds a way around this problem when the new Chairman appoints him (now I live in dream land where the nikanpoops no longer exist). 

My poops have never been so Nikan..

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Agree..I actually thought he was clever enough and he would change it up according to needs...

He has shown he really has no idea of how to change things..up,down or around.Je is totally lacking in football nous,for a top PL manager,he just runs with the below average flow & descisions. Plus the players can't hide behind Rodgers follies,they are payed to also bring their wares to the table..The first is basic skills & thought.

Playing his borefest tactics has probably sucked the life out of most of them. Then add the players he's bought but don't play.

Would you enjoy playing football for him, I know for certain I would not. I'd rather watch paint dry to be honest.

35 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Geordie in peace, not on the wind up or owt. 

Fair play to the brave souls who made it up for the match. Can't have been much fun. Hope they managed a few beers before/after at least. Given the number of changes you were forced to make due to injury and the likely focus on the league games, it wasn't a massive surprise that you looked a little disjointed. When you switched from trying to play through the press and instead went over it, you looked way more likely to score. Had Daka taken the shot on instead of passing it to Barnes (I think?), you could have taken the lead. 

Been on the other side of these results/performances, and it's shit but I honestly think when you've got your first team fit, you'll be a vastly different prospect. Had a browse of your match-thread and fair play for the gallows humour in there. 

Anyway, like I said, hope those who came up had as good a night as possible. 

The better team won and you really should've scored 4-5 goals. Eddie Howe has done a good job and its nice to see a young English manager do well. Sadly our time in the spotlight looks like it's over. Its back to perennial relegation dogfights for us. 

Edited by sm1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, taupe said:

Points 2 and 3 are correct. No argument from me there. So if you're basing your judgement of our manager solely on those things then I can see the conclusion you've reached.

Do you think Rodgers could do better (for example, by changing formations and tactics) with the players at his disposal? I know I do.

All managers make mistakes and I'm not an apologist for Rodgers. I wanted him gone during his moaning phase at the start of the season, but he won me back in the run up to the World Cup. I'd now give him the benefit of the doubt, in the same way I believe we have to give the benefit of the doubt to Top and the board - they, like Rodgers, have earned that - though that's where the questions really need answering IMO

14 hours ago, MancFox24 said:

A depleted side lacking in confidence against a full strength team with loads of confidence and the backing of a raucous crowd, that was always going to be a rough night. Newcastle are a bad team for us to play at the minute, they're a really physical team and you need to either match that or have the technical ability to play around the press. We have neither at the moment. It's not as bad as people make out though, a few injured players return and a couple of new faces in and it can turn around pretty quickly.

Good point, I’m getting fed up with all the negativity. We’re not dead yet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

I wanted him gone during his moaning phase at the start of the season, but he won me back in the run up to the World Cup

Ditto. Well, sufficiently for me to back off calling for his head. I don't suspect I'd ever actually like the guy but that's neither here nor there. I just don't know whether he's reverting back to that moaning again.  I just don't believe, for all the accepted limitations our squad, that he can't set them up better, get a better performance out of them. I think we're less than the sum of our parts and I see that as down to him and the way he's going about managing the sqaud. 

• Like 2

I made a point in the hurly burly of the match thread which was likely lost 

we played a defensive structure last night (quite badly most of the time). We conceded with half an hour to go and suddenly threw everything out of the window and went full on attacking mode as though we were two goals down.   I just dont  understand how a manager who is usually so slow to respond to adversity changed it so dramatically.  The players looked absolutely lost and it was no surprise to see us wide open and concede a second fairly quickly. 

we only needed an equaliser to take it to pens ……..

is there an explanation ?? would have loved one of the journos to have asked the question post game last night 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

Fair play to the brave souls who made it up for the match. Can't have been much fun. Hope they managed a few beers before/after at least. Given the number of changes you were forced to make due to injury and the likely focus on the league games, it wasn't a massive surprise that you looked a little disjointed. When you switched from trying to play through the press and instead went over it, you looked way more likely to score. Had Daka taken the shot on instead of passing it to Barnes (I think?), you could have taken the lead. 

Been on the other side of these results/performances, and it's shit but I honestly think when you've got your first team fit, you'll be a vastly different prospect. Had a browse of your match-thread and fair play for the gallows humour in there. 

I do feel slightly patronised Billy, I’m guessing even Kashoggi put up a bit of a fight.

it was only your crap finishing that saved Rodger’s job!

We had to go to Hartlepool for a decent pint!

3 hours ago, TheFish said:

A fair assessment - and a kinder one than our performance probably merited tbh.

I do think, when fully fit, there is a decent squad here - we have some gaps, but we have some real quality peppered throughout too, a bit like yourselves. I think the main difference is the management - Eddie Howe has elevated the entire squad through the style of play, and has everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. He's wringing every last drop out of those players, and he's reaping the benefits from that - Rodgers on the other hand, has been throwing anyone and everyone under the bus for over a year, he's undermined the existing players with his constant moaning about transfers. So for me, it's no surprise that we look bereft of confidence and are playing like a fractured bunch of strangers - the manager instills the mentality that runs through the whole side. Howe has done a great job of this, Rodgers has lost it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I made a point in the hurly burly of the match thread which was likely lost 

we played a defensive structure last night (quite badly most of the time). We conceded with half an hour to go and suddenly threw everything out of the window and went full on attacking mode as though we were two goals down.   I just dont  understand how a manager who is usually so slow to respond to adversity changed it so dramatically.  The players looked absolutely lost and it was no surprise to see us wide open and concede a second fairly quickly. 

we only needed an equaliser to take it to pens ……..

is there an explanation ?? would have loved one of the journos to have asked the question post game last night 

Probably because we had created almost nothing at that point and were lucky to only be 1-0 down. There were likely getting the 2nd regardless of what we did.

Just now, filbertway said:

Probably because we had created almost nothing at that point and were lucky to only be 1-0 down. There were likely getting the 2nd regardless of what we did.

we were bound to create some chances if we changed it up going forward. I just couldn’t understand the massive change - and the players couldn’t cope with it either. There were other options than asking Barnes to play wing back …..

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

we were bound to create some chances if we changed it up going forward. I just couldn’t understand the massive change - and the players couldn’t cope with it either. There were other options than asking Barnes to play wing back …..

Oh yeah, plenty of options. I liked him responding to the goal quickly, wasn't particularly impressed with his decisions, but then again, I rarely am. :D

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Asking Barnes to play wing back was absolute madness especially asking a right footed player to wing back on the left hand side. Understand it as an inside forward/inverted winger but as a wing back makes no sense at all 

7 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Asking Barnes to play wing back was absolute madness especially asking a right footed player to wing back on the left hand side. Understand it as an inside forward/inverted winger but as a wing back makes no sense at all 

Wasnt a surprise to find us lopsided at the throw in for their second goal as faes and amartey both shuffled across in the expectation that they would need to cover his side - the result was acres of space for joelinton ….. 

• Like 1

Absolute write off of a game - we can’t carry 5 1st team injuries - squad players are utter tosh- that team last night was almost laughable - men against boys - 6 players in that starting team that wouldn’t get into championship teams 

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wasnt a surprise to find us lopsided at the throw in for their second goal as faes and amartey both shuffled across in the expectation that they would need to cover his side - the result was acres of space for joelinton ….. 

Yep yep yep, us to a tee. We are often lopsided, and slow to reposition. I think we over commit. Either it's the high press, where we gang up on the ball carrier; they ping it t'other side of the pitch and we're exposed.  Or we're playing our neat little triangles; intricate passing towards their penalty area - we lose possession, ball is lobed forward and again we're exposed. It's high risk football; it's deliberate and it is tactical. Any team doing it is accepting risk of being caught out. Man City do it better than most and whilst they do get caught out, it's by no means common place. We can't do it and we should stop.

37 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Absolute write off of a game - we can’t carry 5 1st team injuries - squad players are utter tosh- that team last night was almost laughable - men against boys - 6 players in that starting team that wouldn’t get into championship teams 

Thing is we've keep shifting expectations on these players - back in April, we played Newcastle away and largely dominated the game until a rash mistake gave them a last minute winner. 

Our team that day was Kasper - Justin, Amartey, Soyuncu, Thomas - Mendy, Tielemans, KDH - Perez, Daka, Lookman 

Roughly their team had a similar amount of differences to last night but still the majority was the same.

Players don't go bad that quickly - without something else occurring there. Rodgers' silly tactic of publicly slagging his squad off has left us with back-up players devoid of confidence