Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Victor Kristiansen Officially Signs

2 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

My god this is exciting 

Can he play today do we know? 

No. He’ll be watching the horror show from the stands. Looking over at his agent and saying “you told me this was a top club!” Or “looking at that left back, I’m guaranteed to start”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

'Leicester City is...'

Correct subject/verb should be 'are', really.

I won't pretend to know the actual grammatical rule, but 'Leicester City is..' sounds more correct to me as he's referring to it in the singular (i.e. Leicester City [Football Club] is a big club), as opposed to the collective plural ([The group of players fielded by] Leicester City are up 3-0 against Brighton at half time).

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

'Leicester City is...'

Correct subject/verb should be 'are', really.

Really! Grammatical minefield here, brother. Leicester City is a collective noun phrase and, as such, is singular - just as 'the Leicester City Board is' is, but 'Leicester City Board members are' isn't...I think :blink:.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Considering that I was referencing the Americanisation of the Leicester City post it wasn't really thinking of my Danish.

The steady and willingness of the Americanisation of the British football language has been a pet peeve of mine.

What's your stance on using the Oxford comma? 

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Really! Grammatical minefield here, brother. Leicester City is a collective noun phrase and, as such, is singular - just as 'the Leicester City Board is' is, but 'Leicester City Board members are' isn't...I think :blink:.

Entirely correct. The difference is you refer to board members, plural, which makes it "are".

Kasabian is a band from Leicester

Kasabian are from Leicester

It's the same meaning but slightly subtle in its different construction because using "is" means you have to put a singular noun in there (a band).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Entirely correct. The difference is you refer to board members, plural, which makes it "are".

Kasabian is a band from Leicester

Kasabian are from Leicester

It's the same meaning but slightly subtle in its different construction because using "is" means you have to put a singular noun in there (a band).

I think Kasabian is singular - 

Kasabian is from Leicester.

Kasabian band members are from Leicester.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I think Kasabian is singular - 

Kasabian is from Leicester.

Kasabian band members are from Leicester.

Yes and typically we'd use a clarification noun when using the singular, as we'd normally assume Kasabian is a person. So we're saying that Kasbian is a collective name for something. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, burleighfox said:

Sooner he replaces Thomas, the better. 

Thomas gets little support from Barnes - and Faes plays very central pulling Thomas over and leaving space.  Almeron and Trippier were a hard test for thomas.  The EPL is a big test for foreign players - thery don't all make the transition.  Let's see what happens 

• Like 2