Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 2-2 Brighton - Post Match Thread

19 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Cannot understand the ‘we were better’ opinion. 

We have no style of play, and Brighton were so much better.

It’s a huge indictment of how poor we’ve become when clubs such as Brighton play better football. 

It was dross. Rodgers out. We were lucky to get a point.

Brighton have often played ‘better football’ under potter. But they did it in their own half and seldom threatened in the final third. This new coach has them playing higher up the pitch with their pretty patterns of play. Man for man they aren’t incredible - it just shows what can be achieved with a coach who is invested in his squad and puts the effort in and is brave. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It is utterly soul-destroying that one can barely celebrate goals that put us in front, because you know what's coming. There wasn't a single moment between Barnes' goal and the inevitable that I thought we would win the game.

I was fully expecting them to get a third. The audacity of whoever presses play to put the goal music on is just too much.

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

What also annoyed me was the fact that we played like the away team. 

We were forced to, and this should have been expected surely? Brighton are flying high playing expansive confident football, whilst we are injury ravaged playing negative low confident football. We were bound to be on the backfoot, they are better than us at the moment. What I can't understand is why we can't old fashioned hooooooof the ball away when it's near the end of the game and we need to clear our lines. They can't score if the ball is in the other half or in the stand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Rodgers replaced one back-from-injury player (our MOTM) with another one today instead of shoring up with one of Wilf or Soumare. It wasn't wrong to take KDH off in his first game back, but for Christ's sake, given we were already under the cosh (because of our shit-scared approach to defending a lead), abandoning the midfield battle was criminally incompetent. We spent the last 25 minutes penned in waiting to concede, which we inevitably did.

Back the lads, but that was appalling tactical mismanagement for the sake of 'vibes'. Maddison was the wrong sub. Rodgers cost us two points.

EDIT - I've just seen the team sheet. I apologise, didn't know both wilf and bouba were out. Still might as well have kept KDH on.

It was literally like for like. KDH was the furtherest forward midfielder and Maddison replaced him. If Madders fires that free kick in then no one would say it was the wrong sub. 

Two points thrown away today.

Didn't rate BHA that much, considering their position in the table, they seemed very laborious in their build up and although they took their first goal very well there was an element of luck regarding the equaliser, in off the post.

At least we didn't lose so that has to be a plus.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

It is utterly soul-destroying that one can barely celebrate goals that put us in front, because you know what's coming. There wasn't a single moment between Barnes' goal and the inevitable that I thought we would win the game.

when I started reading this comment I thought you were talking about the goal music

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Two points thrown away today.

Didn't rate BHA that much, considering their position in the table, they seemed very laborious in their build up and although they took their first goal very well there was an element of luck regarding the equaliser, in off the post.

At least we didn't lose so that has to be a plus.

I agree. They are very fragile at the back if we can score 2 like that.

Edited by foxinsox

Just got home after a long drive. Despite the obvious flaws, and we’re low on confidence, I thought today was reasonably ok. Decent discipline, application and limited Brighton - who look very good - to few clear chances. 

Haven’t watched much of Brighton, but surprised how good they were and how high they press. Dare I say - all considering what’s going on at the moment - it was 6 mins away from a Rodgers tactical masterclass*. 

I think with quality players coming back today, and others not too far away, the signs of improvement are there. But I would be majorly surprised if we finished higher than 13th.

* I fully expect to get slaughtered for this

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Just got home after a long drive. Despite the obvious flaws, and we’re low on confidence, I thought today was reasonably ok. Decent discipline, application and limited Brighton - who look very good - to few clear chances. 

Haven’t watched much of Brighton, but surprised how good they were and how high they press. Dare I say - all considering what’s going on at the moment - it was 6 mins away from a Rodgers tactical masterclass*. 

I think with quality players coming back today, and others not too far away, the signs of improvement are there. But I would be majorly surprised if we finished higher than 13th.

* I fully expect to get slaughtered for this

I mean, they missed two sitters and probably could have had a penalty. I don't think hoping the opposition miss very good chances, of which one was actually harder to miss, is the best tactically.

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

What I can't understand is why we can't old fashioned hooooooof the ball away when it's near the end of the game and we need to clear our lines. They can't score if the ball is in the other half or in the stand.

Exactly this, we had plenty chances to put the foot through it in the seconds leading to their goal which was annoying 

I thought we played OK, not inspiring but not crap either. First goals a wordly, do well to get back in at half time level. We then start the 2nd half well, but after scoring the 2nd we seemed to lack any ambition to seek a 3rd and kill the game off. Brighton were good when we pressed them, playing threw us a number of times, didn't look great when we sat off them. An we just allowed the last 30 minutes to drift. We may find we play better against better teams, as we will have less possession, an just look to counter attack in the spaces left. I don't think we will see much ponderous play in the defence next week aside for at least the next month.

Our tactics were awful but we really needed everyone to defend. Each player was trying to put in a shift (maybe except Amartey, who was marking thin air). Vardy and Youri worked their tails off to defend. As soon as Rodgers took off Vardy for a striker who won’t isn’t going to graft and put in those hard yards, we conceded the 2nd and blew the game. 

Could see that Vardy was yelling to his teammates when he was subbed, he knew there was still plenty of work to do.  

Edited by The_77
Sent too soon

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

It was literally like for like. KDH was the furtherest forward midfielder and Maddison replaced him. If Madders fires that free kick in then no one would say it was the wrong sub. 

I thought subbing Mendy and dropping KDH a bit deeper to get Maddison on would of been worth it, I know it was KDH first game back but Mendy doesn't play a full 90 minutes often either, an that would of gave us a bit more chance to go at their goal.

9 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Our tactics were awful but we really needed everyone to defend. Each player was trying to put in a shift (maybe except Amartey, who was marking thin air). Vardy and Youri worked their tails off to defend. As soon as Rodgers took off Vardy for a striker who won’t isn’t going to graft and put in those hard yards, we conceded the 2nd and blew the game. 

Could see that Vardy was yelling to his teammates when he was subbed, he knew there was still plenty of work to do.  

I thought Vardy looked tired and we needed to make a change, I would of preferred Nacho, but it's clear even though he isn't quite what he was, Vardy can still do a job especially out of possession.

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

I thought Vardy looked tired and we needed to make a change, I would of preferred Nacho, but it's clear even though he isn't quite what he was, Vardy can still do a job especially out of possession.

If we had to make that change, it had to be for the Nachoman, who can actually drop deep and make plays. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_77 said:

If we had to make that change, it had to be for the Nachoman, who can actually drop deep and make plays. 

I haven't seen Nacho as a solo striker much but Daka and Vardy seem to be struggling with it as well, so why you wouldn't bring the 3rd best player in my opinion in the squad at holding onto the ball and keeping possession is beyond me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

I haven't seen Nacho as a solo striker much but Daka and Vardy seem to be struggling with it as well, so why you wouldn't bring the 3rd best player in my opinion in the squad at holding onto the ball and keeping possession is beyond me.

PREACH.