Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dawko

When you're Smiling

7 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

The original and best version of the song is what we should be singing, and that did need slowing down when we sang it. The Jersey Budd version is a god awful dirge, and shouldn't have ever seen the light of day again, from the day after it was released!

Absolutely, I'd sooner go all Frank Sinatra than have that dreary dirge, it's supposed to be upbeat!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

But that ‘version’ is now none existent. No videos of it and no old boys sing that way in the stand or pubs.

A generation call for it to be slower but never passed it on that way.

That version isn't non existent though is it. You will find it on all sorts of other platforms far easier than the Jersey  Budd version. When was the last time other than on the City PA System, or at a Jersey Budd gig did you hear that dirge version that he sings? Even in the stands, if ever "When your Smiling" is sung during the game and without the prompted version from the club, it's the old version that is sung. There is a reason for that. It's because the Jersey Budd version is shite.  As for the song being passed down at such a high speed, I can reliably inform you that it wasn't sung that fast in the 70s and 80s. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

That version isn't non existent though is it. You will find it on all sorts of other platforms far easier than the Jersey  Budd version. When was the last time other than on the City PA System, or at a Jersey Budd gig did you hear that dirge version that he sings? Even in the stands, if ever "When your Smiling" is sung during the game and without the prompted version from the club, it's the old version that is sung. There is a reason for that. It's because the Jersey Budd version is shite.  As for the song being passed down at such a high speed, I can reliably inform you that it wasn't sung that fast in the 70s and 80s. 

It’s really not that deep, it sounds good when the whole ground sings it before the game and even Maddison said he loves it. 

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

But that ‘version’ is now none existent. No videos of it and no old boys sing that way in the stand or pubs.

But that's the version you guys were singing during the Wolves game. Wiggly hand movements and everything (as it should be) That terrace version is the only version that matters. There seems to be this obsession within the matchday organisation goons that this Budd guy is held in the same esteem as a local musician like he's had Kasabian-level success. It's great that something gets everyone joining in at the start of the game but all this is leading up to a live performance on the pitch pre-West Ham with Sam Bailey on backing vocals.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Ask Bentleys Roof. All the old songs have been recorded and are available.

I'm not a massive fan of the song, but it's ours and the JB version is catching on so I'll go with it. The terrace version has always been pretty poor, by the time it catches on with enough people it's generally half way through and it's one of those songs that doesn't loop so it doesn't naturally build.

I don't think what version we sing particularly matters ATM, just sing something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

THE WHOLE..... WORLD.... SMILES..... WITH YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

There HAS to be an Emglebert version somewhere.

Or a Showaddywaddy version!

Or a Willie Thorne version 🤔

16 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Does the quality of sound matter, surely it gives an idea of how it should be sung?

If it ‘should’ be sung that way, it would still be the case. Like its been said before it wasn't passed down and now there is zero chance of getting ‘how’ its sung currently changed. Whether you deem it too fast or fine the current terrace style is here to stay.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1

In over 20 years I have never heard WYS sung with any kind of cohesion or inspiring voice. Usually quick drunk mumble under the rafters at the back and then it's all over before any kind of crescendo. Even when sung at the 9-0 away to Southampton it was generally just rubbish and a bit embarrassing tbh.

Jersey Budd's version is a much better stadium chrous. It works well before the game. If you don't like it sit on your clappers for 30 seconds and then show the rest of us miserable 90s indie britpoppers how it should be sung. I'm happy to wait another 20 years .

• Like 3

This whole speed thing is BS. When something is being sung sporadically during a game it will be faster. Liverpool fans sing YNWA pre-match to a much slower version than what they would chant otherwise. Do you hear them asking to speed it up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HybridFox said:

This whole speed thing is BS. When something is being sung sporadically during a game it will be faster. Liverpool fans sing YNWA pre-match to a much slower version than what they would chant otherwise. Do you hear them asking to speed it up?

Because the bloody original was slow by Gerry and the Pacemakers! The original to WYS wasn't, neither was the version old Kop sang, just Jersey Nobrots version. 

I thought it was brilliant last night. Not sure if it was picked up on the telly? It looked great with loads of scarves up. Sung with passion around me (or perhaps it was just me and I thought everyone else was!). 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 11:04, BlueSi13 said:

People need to get over this.  We aren't ever going to be stood up clicking our fingers and jiving to a little jazz number (with extended periods of no singing at all) before a match.  

That would be quite funny though wouldn't it?