Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_forever

Congerton

Arguably was the most damaging appointment for the club in a long time. 

The signings of Bertrand and Vestergaard were disasters, and Perez a failure. Vestergaard is the worst as we were already damaged by the Fofana injury, and then it was compounded by a poor replacement which undermined our chances of a high league position. 

Then, he leaves us halfway through a season, and we couldn’t get a replacement to start until

after what was already a very difficult transfer window. 

And to top things off, he bought Lookman for Atalanta having rebuilt his confidence at Leicester (as we declined to spend any money till the Fofana sale) who is tearing it up in Serie A.

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 4

Fair points, he started well for us but it went sour towards the end. I still think Soumare will come good. 

Just seeing how well Lookman is doing well is so frustrating. 

We were linked with Richards and Tomiyasu before landing on Vestergaard.

That transfer window after we won the league was awful. 

Head of recruitment we were warned by fans of old clubs is an absolute charlatan who'll contribute to the demise of our club turns out to be an absolute charlatan who contributed to the demise of our club. Colour me shocked.

I lost a bit of faith in us the day he was appointed. If we were a seriously smart club like we thought then nobody of that level would've managed to get that job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

Been total shite where ever he has gone and keeps getting jobs.

at Atalanta now

At Atalanta now and we were after their winger with 0 goals in 25 games. 

Rodgers' son works for the agency that has Bertrand.

This lot make Wayne Lineker's money handling look legit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Arguably was the most damaging appointment for the club in a long time. 

The signings of Bertrand and Vestergaard were disasters, and Perez a failure. Vestergaard is the worst as we were already damaged by the Fofana injury, and then it was compounded by a poor replacement which undermined our chances of a high league position. 

Then, he leaves us halfway through a season, and we couldn’t get a replacement to start until

after what was already a very difficult transfer window. 

And to top things off, he bought Lookman for Atalanta having rebuilt his confidence at Leicester (as we declined to spend any money till the Fofana sale) who is tearing it up in Serie A.

Bertrand and Vestergaard should have been inconsequential signings. The real damage was caused by our horrific injuries and how they’ve been managed over the last couple of seasons. 

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

Congerton’s tenure has been one of the worst things about Rodgers’ time here.

Never, never should a successful club change its recruitment structure or personnel for the sake of a manager.

We already knew this before he got here, and it has been borne out.

I think what gets lost on here a lot is the fact we had to change our recruitment policy. 
It’s all well and good bringing in young and upcoming players who we can develop and sell on, when we have good solid experienced pros already at the club to help them out and develop.

When we lost the likes of Huth, Morgan, King, Fuchs, and this season Kasper - we needed to replace them with experience to allow the youngsters to grow.

Unfortunately, Bertrand and Vestergaard who were brought in to do this haven’t worked out at all. 

If you want to see really bad recruitment I was reading today that since Gold and Sullivan have taken over West Ham Danny Ings is the 54th striker they have bought 22 of them never scored a goal for West Ham. That’s insane recruitment- everyone of those would have received a signing on fee, and weekly wages on top of any transfer fees paid.  
Unbelievable- I wonder if anyone could name all of them?

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I think what gets lost on here a lot is the fact we had to change our recruitment policy. 
It’s all well and good bringing in young and upcoming players who we can develop and sell on, when we have good solid experienced pros already at the club to help them out and develop.

When we lost the likes of Huth, Morgan, King, Fuchs, and this season Kasper - we needed to replace them with experience to allow the youngsters to grow.

Unfortunately, Bertrand and Vestergaard who were brought in to do this haven’t worked out at all. 

You are right here, Pearson who lets be honest, with his team made us such a well run club before, knew the value of adding experience such as Kev Phillips, GTF and even Dean Hammond when we were in the championship. 

Where we have gone wrong is just signing older players such as the Southampton two and thinking that ticks the box rather than looking at character. There would have been a lot of younger players who would have replaced the lost experience better so it was just bad recruitment of the wrong types of players/characters than anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

If you want to see really bad recruitment I was reading today that since Gold and Sullivan have taken over West Ham Danny Ings is the 54th striker they have bought 22 of them never scored a goal for West Ham. That’s insane recruitment- everyone of those would have received a signing on fee, and weekly wages on top of any transfer fees paid.  

Does that include their time at Birmingham City? Barry Fry can account for a fair few of them.

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

If you want to see really bad recruitment I was reading today that since Gold and Sullivan have taken over West Ham Danny Ings is the 54th striker they have bought 22 of them never scored a goal for West Ham.

My mate the Renaissance Man (NFL betting maven who has watched maybe five PL matches in his life) just let me know he is going “all in” on Hammers.

I let him know “all in” is much more than buying a shirt.  That he’ll have to accept the stewardship of the remaining Dildo Brother … waste an hour a day on KUMB arguing about David Moyes with complete idiots … and finally make a pilgrimage to the worst football stadium in the UK.  But I couldn’t talk him out of this insanity.

His English girlfriend is fit, her brothers are all West Ham, and he is a calculating individual.  So for the first time, I know he must be getting serious.

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

And we are as bad as them according to the league table. 

15 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think his impact is massively overstated on this forum. Every club in the world makes bad signings. Arsenal who are on track for a 100 point season have made clangers in recent times (Pepe).

- Perez has been poor but had put 3 seasons in a row of 15 goal contributions at Newcastle, plus had excellent pressing stats. I can see why he was signed. The problem was he was used in a defensive, counter attacking team and in a different position, but drifted out to the right. 

- Vestergaard has been horrendous but was a last minute but as Fofana was involved in a tragic injury. Who else was available? Admittedly we would have been better off signing no one. 

- Bertrand crap but signed on a free. 

On the other side we have Fofana and Justin as stand out successes. Praet, Soumare and Daka have all been underwhelming but not talentless. Under was a bad loan, Lookman a good one who has gone on to prove his quality. 

I don’t know the guy, for all I know he could be a complete tosser. But his transfer record is average. If you want to see bad transfers, well how about a window of Slimani, Hernandez, Zieler and Musa, followed by one Adrien Silva the following season. That load of tosh was way worse. 

The man has been a disaster at every club he's haunted, sometimes the answer is staring you slap bang in the face, as in this case.

4 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

And we are as bad as them according to the league table. 

We are now, but I that time we’ve won Thr Championship, The Premier League, The Fa Cup and the Charity Shield. And all those strikers have won West Ham a grand total of a dodgy new stadium