Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Jack Harrison

22 minutes ago, teblin said:

I don’t know much about him to be fair. But I used to sit near people that said Mahrez was rubbish, football fans are a fickle bunch.

Agreed. But, as often echoed on here, we have - by far - the thickest supporters in the UK. Leeds fans footballing iq would be easy ahead of ours. 

Buy him for £25 million, no more.

He'd offer a potency behind the front 3 that we don't have, in a current midfield that is a graveyard in terms of quality and numbers, whilst mixing an ACM role and picking up and drifting out wide. 

He's premier leugue experienced and a capable player who can fit into our squad regeneration. Yes, not cheap, but no different in what any other prem team is bringing in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Buy him for £25 million, no more.

He'd offer a potency behind the front 3 that we don't have, in a current midfield that is a graveyard in terms of quality and numbers, whilst mixing an ACM role and picking up and drifting out wide. 

He's premier leugue experienced and a capable player who can fit into our squad regeneration. Yes, not cheap, but no different in what any other prem team is bringing in.

I agree. The advantage of this signing is that potentially he is a starter/cover for 3 positions.

LW, RW & KDH’s position, who is also left footed like Harrison.

As you say he could cover for Madders, but I don’t see us playing with a 10 if (when :cry:) he leaves in the summer.

His versatility is the attraction here, along with the fact that he comes from the Bielsa school of ultra press and Rodgers talks about being aggressive in the attack, which Harrison is very good at and we used to be very good, but have faded either due to injuries to key personal and/or lack of fitness.

The signing makes complete sense to me and I hope it happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Would prefer Zaniolo for the same price.

So would Leeds.  He’s not going for the same price, unfortunately.

Still hard to see any scenario where it makes sense for Leeds to sell a starting player to a potential direct rival for survival.  Yeah, by GD, xG, etc. Leeds should be in the clear and maybe that will balance out over the full campaign.  But right now they’re in danger and so are we.

I agree with everyone that has commented that he'd give us depth in positions that we are desperately short on - but for the prices being touted surely our priority lies with a central defender. If we do manage to secure one, and also have money to splurge on Harrison then the only way I see it happening is if we shift Perez and Cags out first. I think there is better value out there in other leagues but I guess with him we do know what we're paying for in terms of ability and PL performance?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

So would Leeds.  He’s not going for the same price, unfortunately.

Still hard to see any scenario where it makes sense for Leeds to sell a starting player to a potential direct rival for survival.  Yeah, by GD, xG, etc. Leeds should be in the clear and maybe that will balance out over the full campaign.  But right now they’re in danger and so are we.

It will he a similar price IMO. Bournemouth had a 30m euros bid accepted, I'd be amazed if Leeds accept anything less than £25m for Harrison, and probably want more.

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It will he a similar price IMO. Bournemouth had a 30m euros bid accepted, I'd be amazed if Leeds accept anything less than £25m for Harrison, and probably want more.

Well, they were reportedly chasing Zaniolo before they did the McKennie deal.  Maybe they still want him and need to sell Harrison to make it happen but…. It just doesn’t add up.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

My concern about this deal is the knock on effect to future business. We need 10+ new players and they can't all be £20m +, in fact I'd say a good handful of them need to be made up of some free transfers or under £10m. 

We haven't resolved the long term RW position until we agree a fee post June for Tete and Harrison isn't the answer at RW long term either.

I think he'd improve the squad, but not the first team and I just don't see how £20-30m signings can be afforded on anything other than stand out starting XI players. We need at least 2-3 of them.

This bothers me

I agree completely. I don't think he's a bad player but it feels like a pre-Glover target to me, i.e. sizeable fee, no resale value, high wage (this concerns me the most seeing as we need to reduce the wage bill). Overall it just feels like lazy scouting particularly when you see that the likes of Brentford, Brighton, Palace and Leeds have all signed some pretty exciting prospects presumably on lower wages over the past 18 months with relatively strong resale values. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I agree completely. I don't think he's a bad player but it feels like a pre-Glover target to me, i.e. sizeable fee, no resale value, high wage (this concerns me the most seeing as we need to reduce the wage bill). Overall it just feels like lazy scouting particularly when you see that the likes of Brentford, Brighton, Palace and Leeds have all signed some pretty exciting prospects presumably on lower wages over the past 18 months with relatively strong resale values. 

You only pay 50k/week or less if you buy youngish foreign (mostly unproven) talent - and then you run the risk that they won’t settle or find the PL too physical/quick 

no good (under 30) current PL player is moving for less than 60k/week 

Harrison  does have a resale value at 29 - probably around £10m.  Agree that shouldn’t be our way of working but can’t just buy all youngsters. 26 isn’t old either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

This 1000%. We know what we're going to get from Harrison: solid, unspectacular numbers and lots of running about. If we had loads of cash to pad out the squad then fine. But I don't think we do.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You only pay 50k/week or less if you buy youngish foreign (mostly unproven) talent - and then you run the risk that they won’t settle or find the PL too physical/quick 

no good (under 30) current PL player is moving for less than 60k/week 

Harrison  does have a resale value at 29 - probably around £10m.  Agree that shouldn’t be our way of working but can’t just buy all youngsters. 26 isn’t old either. 

Exactly and that's often why you steer well clear from PL players over the age of 25, unless the transfer fee is very very attractive. This has the potential for neither.

I'm really conflicted on this one.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly and that's often why you steer well clear from PL players over the age of 25, unless the transfer fee is very very attractive. This has the potential for neither.

I dont see zaniolo as someone who would embrace a relegation fight ….

the problem with this is he would be a v good addition to our match day squad - two years ago £25m was considered acceptable for that but now it’s different 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Would prefer Zaniolo for the same price.

I respect your opinion and usually agree with you, but I take Harrison over an injury prone maverick with an attitude problem not used to this league. On outright quality Zaniolo wins but, factoring in everything I think Harrison is a good signing.

• Like 1

I would like to add that I feel I've said it before but Ismaila Sarr would cost a similar amount, is younger and more of a goal threat. Maybe this late in the window Watford would ask for a fortune but I can't believe he's still playing in the championship. Madueke could have been picked up in the summer for not much more either. 

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

My concern about this deal is the knock on effect to future business. We need 10+ new players and they can't all be £20m +, in fact I'd say a good handful of them need to be made up of some free transfers or under £10m. 

We haven't resolved the long term RW position until we agree a fee post June for Tete and Harrison isn't the answer at RW long term either.

I think he'd improve the squad, but not the first team and I just don't see how £20-30m signings can be afforded on anything other than stand out starting XI players. We need at least 2-3 of them.

This bothers me

I'd play Harrison over Barnes on current form no question so think he does improve the first team

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

You can't really trust what some people on a forum says. For instance there is a growing minority on here who think Harvey Barnes is shit. 

FnOTpz3WQAAVh8B.jpeg

He's not awful but has not been in good form for the last 6 months. He needs competition to force him to raise his game

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I mean you mentioned zaniolo he has worse numbers than Harrison so not sure he would be any better. I think Harrison would be a good signing you need some older players as well as younger ones