Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Harry Souttar

39 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Hadnt been on this thread in a while, didnt realise so many people had written him off already. 

I personally think hes going to be a great signing for us. Fixing the systamatic issues in our defending will take time. I honestly think hes just another victim of it. I personally think every single one of the, are all better than they have shown recently. 

You cant be judging a cb on missed chances... there will always be some and its not his primary job. Whats more important is that hes getting on the end of things... and tbh his last act for us was winning one and creating a tap in for nacho. 

As a cb myself, I know how easy it is to miss a header in an instant. Its not always going to work out but whats funny is that had both of his big chances gone in... despite them being relatively easy chances, the same people writing him off now would be on here talking about how good he is. 

Was it Martin Allen who said, 'If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle'.

He's gash.

50 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Hadnt been on this thread in a while, didnt realise so many people had written him off already. 

I personally think hes going to be a great signing for us. Fixing the systamatic issues in our defending will take time. I honestly think hes just another victim of it. I personally think every single one of the, are all better than they have shown recently. 

You cant be judging a cb on missed chances... there will always be some and its not his primary job. Whats more important is that hes getting on the end of things... and tbh his last act for us was winning one and creating a tap in for nacho. 

As a cb myself, I know how easy it is to miss a header in an instant. Its not always going to work out but whats funny is that had both of his big chances gone in... despite them being relatively easy chances, the same people writing him off now would be on here talking about how good he is. 

Souttar looks completely lost, let's not try and pretend otherwise. He can't defend 1v1 and gets horribly exposed, he also has the worst positioning of any defender i've seen play for us since being back in the Premier League. Missing chances isn't the issue, it's giving at least a goal every game that is, and a severe lack of 1v1 defending that means we can't play progressively. 

Look at the difference Soyuncu + Faes have made. Both can defend 1v1, and more importantly are willing to. When I said Souttar appeared to be 'quiet' others laughed, yet Soyuncu and Faes are proving my point. It isn't about shouting at others, it's about having the character to put your stamp on the game. With Soyuncu's willingness to engage high, and Faes's willingness to break forward, it highlights Souttar's flaws, as the big man generally just stands stranded in no mans land, not capable of one or the other, or at the very least appearing too scared to do so.

Souttar was a pound shop Maguire but an upgrade on Amartey and Vestergaard. 

He’s not the answer we need long term based on what we’ve seen, however ai’d likely imagine he’s our 3rd choice centre back until the end of this season. 

We’ve only got one centre back that we all think should be playing for us let’s be honest. He’s off to Athletico Madrid. 

• Like 2

I'd imagine he would be useful in the championship and and able back up. Trouble is due to shocking mismanagement from all at the club our best defender is going on a free to Athletico. Evans body is done, so we need 2 CB in the summer regardless of what division we are in

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'd imagine he would be useful in the championship and and able back up. Trouble is due to shocking mismanagement from all at the club our best defender is going on a free to Athletico. Evans body is done, so we need 2 CB in the summer regardless of what division we are in

I agree.

I honestly see Souttar and Amartey as Championship standard defenders. Faes… still not sure about. I think he’ll probably be ok in the Premiership given time.

If we stay up this season and next seasons starting cb pairing is Souttar and Faes then that is a relegation cb pairing in my opinion.  Fine for the Championship but not nearly good enough for the prem.

Neither are leaders and is just too damn slow.  Having no Cags in the team has shown just how disorganised we are at the back.  We desperately need to invest in at least one (probably 2) quality cb/s otherwise we will be in big trouble again.

He'd be far better off if he was paired with Evans than Faes. His positioning is all out because he never knows when big Wout is going off for a wander up the pitch like Sideshow Beckenbauer on a mazy 40 dribble getting dispossessed north of the centre circle. I'm not as down on him as others after a dozen games. He needs time and a pre-season with JT to get him sharper.

I think he'll come good eventually but he couldn't have joined at a worse time. Joined an absolute car crash of a backline with the worse keeper in the football pyramid behind him and an expectation to instantly stop the rot. 

He definitely has work to do on his game but I think he has the ability to be a decent centre half at this level with the right coaching. From what I've seen so far the jump up in level has caught him off guard and he looks like he's lost his confidence. I think a lot of the issues he's had so far are largely down to a bit of naivety in terms of his positioning.

If we can get ourselves into a position next season where he doesn't have the pressure of a relegation battle and gradually increase his game time over a prolonged period to get the exposure he needs to develop his game I think we'll see a totally different player from the one we've seen so far. 

21 hours ago, don_danbury said:

another dodgy rodgers signing. bringing in two slow cbs. very smart

I thought the general consensus was that these latest signings were nothing to do with Rodgers and more the club going back to the old way of scouting 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Souttar hasn’t got pace but I think it’s harsh saying Faes don’t. I think Faes has decent pace for a CB.

I reckon Souttar with a quicker CB would work just fine, hes such a unit

Edited by jmono84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

People writing off another player after 10 games.

He’s come in whilst we’ve been honking.

Will he be another Fofana? No

Will he be a decent CB in the Prem/Championship? 100%

He does need to play next to a more athletic CB though or just ditch the high line.

• Like 1

With decent coaching, in the right set up he can play at this level but currently third choice, which ever division we are in next season means a squad rebuild, if we go down, you never know if a newly promoted side might come in for him :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

surely this team would have more balance if souttar was next to soyuncu? 

2 players that love to dive in just creates too much chaos at the back for me. 

Especially against sides good at set plays. he’d make a huge difference  

• Like 4

Just now, Dames said:

He must be completely useless if John Terry thinks Faes is a a better shout. 

Trouble is Souttar isn't any better than Faes.

Regardless of division next season we need two new centre backs.

Last two games have been crying out for Souttar alongside Faes. No chance Harry doesn't get his massive head on that first goal today and the DCL penalty never happens with Harry in place of Faes. 

Additionally our only potential threat from corners is Tielemans!

Souttar wouldn't have made a difference today. And that's not his fault. Defence was overloaded so many times because Soumare and Youri don't have that as their job. And it's made even worse when Soumare gives the ball away.