Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Summer 2023...

42 minutes ago, kingfox said:

If we go for Cairney over Hamer, then there’s one simple reason for it, because Cairney is excellent in possession. Cairney’s possession statistics for Fulham last season were fantastic, for instance the only two regular midfield starters who averaged better for successful progressive passes were Kevin De Bruyne & Pascal Gross.

Hamer is a fantastic progressive passer, but he isn’t the type of midfielder you associate with a “keep ball” system. Of course he could have the ability to adjust to a possession based system, but there would be a massive question mark if we did sign him. 

A very solid point, also, FWIW I did think after hearing Maresca speak in his press conference with regards the ball, being comfortable with it and enjoying having it, that was something I always thought Winks offered. He always wanted possession, never seemed to shy away from recieving the ball even in big games when his confidence was there. Even if it's just to recycle back where it came from, or go out the other side we saw with Ndidi that wasn't always something he was capable of doing, even the most seemingly simple passes went awry far too often.

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Coventry's Gyokeres replacement... 

8m apparently! Fair play to Cov for reinvesting, not sure how he will do in the championship guess depends if he wants to prove himself. 

24 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

8m apparently! Fair play to Cov for reinvesting, not sure how he will do in the championship guess depends if he wants to prove himself. 

He got 7 in 17 games last season for Sunderland before being recalled by Everton in January not bad 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliFOXnia said:

A very solid point, also, FWIW I did think after hearing Maresca speak in his press conference with regards the ball, being comfortable with it and enjoying having it, that was something I always thought Winks offered. He always wanted possession, never seemed to shy away from recieving the ball even in big games when his confidence was there. Even if it's just to recycle back where it came from, or go out the other side we saw with Ndidi that wasn't always something he was capable of doing, even the most seemingly simple passes went awry far too often.

They might not be the kind of signings to everyone’s taste, but signing Winks and potentially signing Cairney makes perfect sense because they are two players who are excellent in possession.

Hamer when in possession is very much a player who likes to progress the ball as quickly as possible. With our intention seemingly being the tactic of “Keep Ball”, as good and effective as Hamer is, I can see why he wouldn’t necessarily be the right kind of midfielder for our system. 

I’ve been a big advocate for Alzate of Brighton in this transfer window, if Brighton would be willing to sell, then him along with Cairney would be two sensible acquisitions.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

They might not be the kind of signings to everyone’s taste, but signing Winks and potentially signing Cairney makes perfect sense because they are two players who are excellent in possession.

Hamer when in possession is very much a player who likes to progress the ball as quickly as possible. With our intention seemingly being the tactic of “Keep Ball”, as good and effective as Hamer is, I can see why he wouldn’t necessarily be the right kind of midfielder for our system. 

I’ve been a big advocate for Alzate of Brighton in this transfer window, if Brighton would be willing to sell, then him along with Cairney would be two sensible acquisitions.

I think Franco Vasquez might be targeted for a reunion with Enzo.

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Franco Vasquez might be targeted for a reunion with Enzo.

Another player that would make sense but at 34 though :mellow: I can just about accept potentially signing Cairney at 32 lol 

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Another player that would make sense but at 34 though :mellow: I can just about accept potentially signing Cairney at 32 lol 

Vasquez is a bit more attacking but you could understand either of them coming in, as we need at least 3-4 attacking midfielders / wingers.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

as we need at least 3-4 attacking midfielders / wingers.

As I’ve said in the past, I wouldn’t be surprised if those signings end up being versatile, I just hope Oscar Bobb on loan will be one of them 🙏🏻

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

I’m hoping we get some sort of news today. Been very quiet this week.

I wonder if we are in the position that no more permanent incomings unless more leave. Not great given our inability to move on players and us being grotesquely weak out wide and in creative midfield but it's a huge window for us and the club will be up against it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KFS said:

Don’t rate him tbf 

12 hours ago, goose2010 said:

37 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

8m for him is madness but i'm chuffed they've done it. Less money to buy good players with that £25m

I think he'll bag plenty 

I feel Rudders has learnt nothing from his 'review'.

Seems to be falling into the same old pattern, lots of links, little action, each link gradually ends up at a competitor, Rudders left with the dregs.

This incompetent **** needs to leave else this club is done. 

• Haha 2