Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Villa v Leicester 2-4 post match we’re back !!

15 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

One team playing at home having been on a winning streak, the other away having lost a few, confidence in this league separates the team that are 7th from 14th, the ability gap is marginal.

Exactly, zero reason for any fan to take away from a brilliant win yesterday, Villa were on form and had only conceded two goals in all their premier league games in January. Villa didn’t play poor yesterday either but going forward we were a totally different team to the way we’d been since the restart. The signings have made a huge impact.

Tougher games coming up mind. 

• Like 3

Really did not look great, second best for much of the match, defensively fragile at times but on the attack Tete looks really classy and at 22, if we can convince him to sign on a full transfer theres a huge margin for profit on this lad in future if he continues like this, on the ball he had so much confidence and flair, on many occasions the defenders were all over the place from him shifting his weight, dropping his shoulder etc. 
Once again Ian puts in a fantastic performance, hopefully Brendan can finally see what everyone else in the fanbase can see and he starts playing, him and Tete really had a great understanding. Souttar was unlucky for his OG and looked like he needed to find his feet but he could easily turn out to be a shrewd signing. Kristensen looked open at times but I think that's mainly down to Barnes, looks like a signing who can cut it at this level over time. 

Overall improved performance and no doubt Brendan is probably staying, hopefully we can improve just to keep Tete and make him want to have a go with us. Won't get carried away though, we've been awful for 2 seasons. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FLAN said:

How is Buendia (tiny) allowed that free header at the front post?  We really haven’t improved at set pieces at all have we 

Fair comment but I feel loads better after yesterday. 

Defence has been pretty shit all season but yesterday despite being shit positionally a fair few times, it definitely got better as the game went on, and it was clear we now have better players who will improve as they play together more. 

But more than that, despite a few near misses, they were largely dealt with due to bodies on the line attitude, giving everything to ensure thou shalt not pass. And one of my favourite highlights was the row z clearance from just outside the 6 yard box to a throw in virtually on the halfway line. No messing about. 

The biggest plus by far though was that this attack now has the potential to outscored opponents even to the point of 4-3,5-4 wins. Much more exciting to watch. 

They can stick their tactical nil-nils that might produce a one nil win. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

KDH was involved in all 4 goals ,so take his engine away....2-0 Aston Villa..

Posters love the easy cop out statement, but haven't a clue how to balance it out.

KDH will be one of the first on the teamsheet and rightly so.

Again some fans have chose the bolting horse,and think they have found a weakness....Football is about finding a balance, & individuals that can pump the side up...He's full off endeavour & not without a good eye for good movement....KDH stays, one foot or not!!

I was probably too pissed to notice the nuances so let my old grudges decide this for me going forwards. 

If the problem defensively is fixed by playing a proper dcm, for me it has to be tielemans who is dropped to the bench. At least as a trial as its clear that he is not the future. 

On 04/02/2023 at 17:20, KingsX said:

The last dozen or so times you have posted that, I've ignored it.  But at some point it needs addressed.

xG IS THE QUANTITY AND QUALITY OF CHANCES EXPRESSED AS A NUMBER.  There are shot-based and non-shot models.  No one is claiming a perfect quantification is possible.

Now if do you really think quantity and quality of chances are "absolutely meaningless" when discussing a match or a season, then carry on.

I think the reason it gets some people's backs up is the term 'expected'. It was a stat used by nerds to make a lot of money, but it was so useful that it has become mainstream. That does mean it still has all the statistical jargon attached though, and as such, gets people angry for some reason. If it was just sold as "not all shots are equal" or something then I think people would be more on board - not that they have to be, but you can see a clear usefulness in the data even over the weekend. 

If we look at total shots: 3 teams with the most shots in their game won over the weekend, and that's with me counting Brentford where the total shots number was equal to their opponent.

If we look at xG: 7 teams with the highest xG in their game won at the weekend.

(using figs from Understat)

Personally would rather see if given alongside the total shots figure, such as Aston Villa 19 (1.5) - 9 (2.5) Leicester, as it's just a weighted shots metric. Similarly with xGOT. 

• Like 2

Maddison is a natural in front of a camera. 

I was watching his goal again (after his description, his assessment of their daft attempt to play out) and realised that if he hadn't have turned away from that incoming challenge, it'd have probably been a stretcher needed.... plus a red card and penalty. Jeez, Konsa flew in and would have scythed Madders down. 

Just back from Spain where a helpful bar owner set me up with my own booth and tele amongst the Rugger/Wolves/Liverpool fans.

great watch but nuts really.

Bit obvious but the defence is about two feet taller than it was and it helps.Nacho looks half asleep but isnt .VK very tidy indeed and quick,Tete will cost a bloody fortune if hes always that good.Looks like Mahrez on Duracell.

Do we go for it again though is up to Brendan

Take the point Villa were defensively wank but two of the goals are superb pressing and a couple of superb assists. I’d say it’s only the fourth where we haven’t enforced the error; with a hopeful ball forward making two of their back four look idiotic. 

They had been defensively strong recently and there’s plenty more guff defences out there if we can keep attacking them, we will get the six wins to see us safe