Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Villa v Leicester 2-4 post match we’re back !!

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

One team playing at home having been on a winning streak, the other away having lost a few, confidence in this league separates the team that are 7th from 14th, the ability gap is marginal.

Like I said, I'm not looking to be unduly negative about the performance. Really important win and a lot of positives. 

I'm just saying we can't hide from the fact Villa were dreadful today and we'll definitely have to step up a gear or two particularly with our upcoming fixtures. 

Most teams won't be as generous as Villa were today. 

7 minutes ago, Red Squirrel said:

Did I beat you to it!  Mind you I'm open to accusations of being a wuss as it has a splash of lime cordial in it.

In the View Hotel on the front in Eastbourne but as a ST holder I'll be there next week 

image.png.8290a8fc4a8ca8cd2be2bcb83c0c4194.png

Don’t you worry about the cordial mate, you enjoy yourself. The blues are back! 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Like I said, I'm not looking to be unduly negative about the performance. Really important win and a lot of positives. 

I'm just saying we can't hide from the fact Villa were dreadful today and we'll definitely have to step up a gear or two particularly with our upcoming fixtures. 

Regardless of how we are playing though, I didn't have much hope of getting points against either united away or Arsenal, I now think though we could get something next week at home to Spurs. Weirdly I actually think we have a better chance against them if they do get a result against man City.

11 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think Tete and Iheanacho will link well together based on this showing.

Yes, there did seem to be some chemistry there.

Edit: nice to see Madders having an option wide right that he appeared to like too.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

Brendan needs plaudits for his match prep today, thought the trigger press was done to perfection. Had their goal kicks sussed from the off.

The right side understandably looked a little suspect defensively, with Tete less willing to track and Castagne being a little out of sorts lately. The latter was definitely instructed to be less ambitious going forward, but that's his strength.

Somebody might have to make way for either Mendy or Ndidi which is a shame, maybe KDH.

But with all that said, fantastically entertaining game of football, especially for the neutral I'd imagine.

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 1

Hopefully the win will install a bit of confidence where it is desperately needed. 

We were as shaky as all hell early doors, but stuck at it and as we grew Villa melted away. Some good performances. Tete looked quality. We’ve missed that and all of us FT have known it for years. 

Still don’t like Brendan at all and think he’s an utter fraud, but I’m willing to get behind him and the team if we can kick on from here. Tough matches coming up but ALL games are winnable - as Everton have just proven. 

37 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Without Grealish they're weak in attack. Mings is a minger of a defender. They have no players that can change or influence a game. Don't forget that one of their goals came from an unfortunate deflection (at which point, many FT posters on the match thread ridiculously wanted BR sacked). They had no real dominance. We did look a bit shaky at times but also looked so much more positive going forward. The side to side passing across the back line was thankfully, no longer evident.

Also, take Ward away from our team. Shambolic, despite the 2 decent touches he had to deflect the ball which makes him look better than he is. 

No dominance in his box, a bigger flapper than a stranded whale. No confidence to organise and instruct his defence and when we concede he just looks blank. No shouting or having a go at the players that exposed him. Just... weak. Not the right characteristics for a top GK.

Edited by Parafox

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Huge win! I think it was impressive we did not concede in the second half, though we rode our luck at times in that respect.

All of the new signings were impressive. Souttar is the next in line of large bastards at the back after Huth and Maguire.

VK in my opinion is the most impressive signing we've made. To be that composed at 20 is very rare. He was put to the ultimate test by Bailey early doors but was superb throughout.

Tete is what this team would have looked like if we had Mahrez, Maddison and Tielemans at the same time. What a joy to watch.

Iheanacho was brilliant! Tactically it looked like we used him as a false 9, he dropped deep to link up play so that Barnes, Maddison and Tete could run past him. It worked brilliantly, but he should have bagged right at the beginning of the second half.

KDH was great whilst he was on too.

The only question mark for me is the midfield. With no out and out CDM in there I think there is too much room between the CBs and the back 4. Buendia had the freedom of Villa Park out there and almost made us pay. Perhaps we do need Ndidi in there to make it a bit tighter. That said, with Youri in there, we can play out of trouble more easily and he can make great forward passes. We scored 4 goals so there's something to be said there!

Result aside make no mistake we are in a relegation dogfight. Two goals conceded AGAIN is not a good look. Despite saying that, I think we defended quite well, but the issue is we give up too many chances.

Well said.

I’d say our new signings would benefit Wilf if he comes back into the team.

We now much better suit the 4141 in defence / 433 in attack based on the line up today. The width Tete held was really noticeable and Maddison is evidently so much more effective centrally. 

Despite a decent enough performance today, I’d drop KDH and reintroduce Wilf for the CDM, CM, CAM combo that bore such success for us in recent years.

It would put the onus on N’didi to put those go go gadget legs to good use, but the players and set up we had today make us much more potent on the counter attack / in quick transitions which in itself could be helpful for the defensive functioning of that midfield three - the best form of defence is attack!

And with a more robust looking back line behind him, I think he could return to the commanding CDM presence he once was.

• Like 3