Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Cruises. (No, not Tom’s family. The boats!)

12 hours ago, Fox1norfolk said:

The large cruise ships very rarely pitch and roll with computerised stabilisers in-fact  last year we experienced a 4-5 metre swell and you were only aware you were on a ship is if you looked out of the window, very stable. In 2017 we went in January/February from Southampton to Sydney Australia across the Atlantic, Pacific 47 days and never experienced any rolling or pitching. We’ve done about 20 cruises and never experienced really bad weather

Guess I was unlucky then.  I was on a relatively small ship (1200 passengers) which ran into some nasty weather in the Bay of Biscay.

It's been quite interesting reading this thread. I've always been turned off of a cruise purely because of the feeling of being stuck on a boat with thousands of other people - also whenever I've watched TV programmes about Cruises (your typical Mediterranean or Caribbean) they always seem to look quite tacky and almost like a Butlins at sea kind of thing.

Obviously it's a personal preference kind of thing but I'd much rather book a small apartment on a Greek island somewhere and experience the local food and bars, hire a car out for a week and explore different towns and places. You can do all of that for 1/2 weeks for anywhere between £500 - £2K, looking at Cruise prices you're looking at £4K for some of the cheapest cabins before you even add on drinks packages or trips out and all that and stuff.

Not something I could ever get my head around doing, apart from like others said maybe 2/3/4 days somewhere like the Fjords as it would be the best way to see them.

Yes same, always assumed cruises were for pensioners and boring people, based on TV adverts and a good friend who's in-laws are really boring and love cruises. Interesting to see normal people go on cruises. The time commitment would be the biggest issue with me, I am always close to the bone on leave trying to fit as many trips as possible into the year, I cannot waste days in the middle of the sea when a plane could get me there in a few hours. What do you actually do on these days? I can't be doing with some weird all-inclusive hotel type activities, are things like a cinema, 24h bar, non-inbred pool, bowling alley etc standard? 

38 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

It's been quite interesting reading this thread. I've always been turned off of a cruise purely because of the feeling of being stuck on a boat with thousands of other people - also whenever I've watched TV programmes about Cruises (your typical Mediterranean or Caribbean) they always seem to look quite tacky and almost like a Butlins at sea kind of thing.

Obviously it's a personal preference kind of thing but I'd much rather book a small apartment on a Greek island somewhere and experience the local food and bars, hire a car out for a week and explore different towns and places. You can do all of that for 1/2 weeks for anywhere between £500 - £2K, looking at Cruise prices you're looking at £4K for some of the cheapest cabins before you even add on drinks packages or trips out and all that and stuff.

Not something I could ever get my head around doing, apart from like others said maybe 2/3/4 days somewhere like the Fjords as it would be the best way to see them.

I've watched those programmes too and yep, if you book a summer holiday in the Med / Caribbean, it could be like that. Especially if you're with the main players, RCCL, Carnival etc. And anything under 7 nights will be a bit of a booze cruise/party affair.

We sail out of the holidays and it's a totally different experience. Plus, you can book different grades of experience where you don't need to mingle with the masses. Separate pool, restaurant etc.

Our go to holiday always used to be booking a villa somewhere and do that exploring you mention, still enjoy that but like to cruise now too.

With prices, I'm sure peak are expensive, like all holidays. Our next is £725 each for 10 nights, including daily gratuities and a premium drink package.

Edit - p.s. the fjords are always a more expensive cruise and, don't sail from England, that really does waste time.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yes same, always assumed cruises were for pensioners and boring people, based on TV adverts and a good friend who's in-laws are really boring and love cruises. Interesting to see normal people go on cruises. The time commitment would be the biggest issue with me, I am always close to the bone on leave trying to fit as many trips as possible into the year, I cannot waste days in the middle of the sea when a plane could get me there in a few hours. What do you actually do on these days? I can't be doing with some weird all-inclusive hotel type activities, are things like a cinema, 24h bar, non-inbred pool, bowling alley etc standard? 

Personally, I relax in the sun and read on a sea day. We make port days busy, so a day off is nice after some 8 hour trip days. Not all itineraries have them, a week in the Med or Caribbean won't have a sea day. But yes there are loads of organised activities, plus sports facilities, crafts, a gym, bowling alley, F1 simulator, climbing walls, wave riders. The facilities vary a lot and depend on the size and age of the ship.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

What website/service do people use to book/search?

Never been on a cruise before but just need a holiday ASAP. 

We normally book direct as we know exactly what we want to include.

I do have one booked using Book and Go Holidays, as they got me an extra £100 off.

https://bookandgoholidays.ueniweb.com/?utm_campaign=gmb

23 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Personally, I relax in the sun and read on a sea day. We make port days busy, so a day off is nice after some 8 hour trip days. Not all itineraries have them, a week in the Med or Caribbean won't have a sea day. But yes there are loads of organised activities, plus sports facilities, crafts, a gym, bowling alley, F1 simulator, climbing walls, wave riders. The facilities vary a lot and depend on the size and age of the ship.

Tbf that sounds really fun

I think non cruisers are genuinely surprised at the size of the ships and what there is to do on board. 

This is the one we were on in the summer

8DAF3BF5-89FB-4781-AC47-A560F7EB31CE.jpeg.c8ac985bd512df5d6c47d4bb0669e9a7.jpeg

Sea days are a great way of chilling. Or there’s a million other things to do. Golf simulator, gym, cinema, crafts, learn to dance/paint/whatever. 

Chilling on a sea day (with a nod to @Countryfox ‘s shorts supplier).

5AA77B39-515C-4CF4-BFF7-70C11753EE1F.jpeg.45f037389481162e062cff62a9b32dcb.jpeg

Port days are usually busy, or you head to the beach. We’ve been around the block a bit so aren’t so bothered about sightseeing places we’ve been to a few times before. 
A family we met last year spent the entire holiday on the ship. Never got off!

It may not be for everyone, and you get what you pay for, imo. Some ships are Butlins on Sea, which is fine if you like that. Some are full of oldies and some are just a decent mix of families out for a fun holiday. 

If the food is good and the weather is good, it’s hard not to have fun. 

4E8F3E84-82D7-40A3-B1FD-35908858D60E.thumb.jpeg.a7242a942a443f7e0825d2ea3f473de0.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking into this a bit more on my post lunch toilet break, not bad. Virgin Voyages look like they do cool trips, adults only and for those that want to party - https://www.virginvoyages.com/ 

I have been everywhere useful in Europe and have absolutely no desire to go to the Caribbean to sit on some sand, but there are other cruise-able destinations. See NZ included in the Virgin itinerary. 

It seems you do not waste too much time with them either. Full on 12+ hour days being active when you dock at places.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I think non cruisers are genuinely surprised at the size of the ships and what there is to do on board. 

Sea days are a great way of chilling. Or there’s a million other things to do. Golf simulator, gym, cinema, crafts, learn to dance/paint/whatever. 

Port days are usually busy, or you head to the beach. We’ve been around the block a bit so aren’t so bothered about sightseeing places we’ve been to a few times before. 

It may not be for everyone, and you get what you pay for, imo. Some ships are Butlins on Sea, which is fine if you like that. Some are full of oldies and some are just a decent mix of families out for a fun holiday. 

4E8F3E84-82D7-40A3-B1FD-35908858D60E.thumb.jpeg.a7242a942a443f7e0825d2ea3f473de0.jpeg

You can't really comprehend the size of these ships until you are actually standing next to one. This is the largest we've been on, now the 11th largest ship in the world at 315m long. The little white tent along the side has people standing in it. That's how vast these things are.

The current largest ship in the world is 362m long and 64m wide

The pitch at the King Power is 105m long and 68m wide, as a comparison.

Lots of people sail for the ship and don't actually get off. Especially in the US. We sail for the itinerary, but we did it once. We booked to go to Cuba, Honduras, Guatamala and Mexico. But Trump, the tw@t put an embargo on travel to Cuba from the US. The new itinerary was West Caribbean and all places we'd been. So, we just treated it as a moving all-inclusive hotel break. We'd just done a fairly intense few days in NYC, so actually enjoyed just having a break.

Meraviglia.jpg

Edited by FoyleFox

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Very nice Milo  ..  I was very late to the cruising club but really love it now ..  next cruise autumn this year.  

P. S.  Shorts ?! ..   all I can see is a bloke with a head shaped like a potato and wearing a green gown looking away from the camera  ..  :D

• Haha 1

Went as a teenager with family and hated it - found it boring, not a lot to do, and the ship was quite Butlins’esque. 

Been on three as an adult with my partner, and have two more lined up, and we love them now. We go with P&O and, unless the itinerary is something we are really keen on, go on the Iona ship wherever it is going when we are looking to book the holiday. We do round trips from Southampton and wouldn’t really be keen on flying to the cruise. 

We went on holiday to New York last month with British Airways and the main thing that stood out for us was how much less hassle cruising is - it’s easy to embark and disembark and once you’re on the ship your holiday starts  - no waiting at the airport, worrying about luggage weight limits, or being on a plane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

You can't really comprehend the size of these ships until you are actually standing next to one. This is the largest we've been on, now the 11th largest ship in the world at 315m long. The little white tent along the side has people standing in it. That's how vast these things are.

The current largest ship in the world is 362m long and 64m wide

The pitch at the King Power is 105m long and 68m wide, as a comparison.

Lots of people sail for the ship and don't actually get off. Especially in the US. We sail for the itinerary, but we did it once. We booked to go to Cuba, Honduras, Guatamala and Mexico. But Trump, the tw@t put an embargo on travel to Cuba from the US. The new itinerary was West Caribbean and all places we'd been. So, we just treated it as a moving all-inclusive hotel break. We'd just done a fairly intense few days in NYC, so actually enjoyed just having a break.

Meraviglia.jpg

And the amazing thing for me is, if you took a nut and bolt off and chucked them in the sea, they'd sink. Yet a vast piece of construction like that (or any other vessel) FLOATS!

And yes, I understand the Archimedes law of displacement and hydrostatic pressure and that's what keeps the things afloat. Still amazing, nonetheless.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

done two 

both from Southampton which I found fantastic when compared with the aggro of getting a family on and off a flight …..

I reckon it’s something you should try if you can afford it - if you pick a schedule which interests you then that’s half the battle. 

a balcony costs but if you value your privacy then it’s wonderful to be able to sit and watch the sea (so relaxing). 

I am a massive cruise fan :) Iv done a lot of cruises and would say this is my favourite  way to holiday. It’s lovely waking up to a new place everyday and being able to explore. Price wise depends on the different cabins you can have. Personally have done a balcony cabin and best way to travel. For me cruising is the way :) you also need to explore all the different company’s as to what you want from a holiday each company has its own perks 

18 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I am the same in terms of wanting to maximize my holiday time. Honestly though by the time those sea days have come I have been happy as I have been so exhausted and wanting a break! On the sea day on our last cruise we made the most of the chance to have a lie in, took advantage of the different sporting options like table tennis and padel, went up to the observation deck where they had a big relaxed seating area where you could get various hot drinks, cocktails etc and played one of the board games on offer, went to one of the talks they had put on about wildlife in the area. By the time we fit in meals that was the day gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

I am the same in terms of wanting to maximize my holiday time. Honestly though by the time those sea days have come I have been happy as I have been so exhausted and wanting a break! On the sea day on our last cruise we made the most of the chance to have a lie in, took advantage of the different sporting options like table tennis and padel, went up to the observation deck where they had a big relaxed seating area where you could get various hot drinks, cocktails etc and played one of the board games on offer, went to one of the talks they had put on about wildlife in the area. By the time we fit in meals that was the day gone. 

This thread has changed my perception on cruises for sure, thanks, normal people saying positive things about a cruise is an eye-opener. Certainly not yet on my 'bucket list' but defo on my 'something to consider if the opportunity arises' list.

PS is saying 'we' in relation to plans a normal thing on this forum? I remember a poster a while back saying 'we' in relation to a plan to go to HK, I was absolutely flummoxed and had a moment thinking I'd signed up to go to HK, before they stated they were referring to themselves and their partner like that was a given. Just to be clear, you are not talking about a sea day with me right!?!?!? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How has this thread got to page two without @leicsmac chipping in to talk about the absolutely devastating environmental impact of the cruise industry?

In all seriousness. They're absolutely vile. 

I know it's still pretty popular to stick your head in the sand, ignore climate change and tell people saying shit like this to stop ruining your fun and mind their own business but cruises really are the worst. And for what? A tacky resort that mostly just sails to other tacky resorts. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

How has this thread got to page two without @leicsmac chipping in to talk about the absolutely devastating environmental impact of the cruise industry?

I know it's still pretty popular to stick your head in the sand, ignore climate change and tell people saying shit like this to stop ruining your fun and mind their own business but cruises really are the worst. And for what? A tacky resort that mostly just sails to other tacky resorts. 

That's why the ships which aren't environmentally friendly are being phased out, like diesel and petrol cars, and all the new build ships are running on LNG.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

53 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

That's why the ships which aren't environmentally friendly are being phased out, like diesel and petrol cars, and all the new build ships are running on LNG.

lol

I'll be honest, it crossed my mind. However, as ostentatious and environmentally nightmarish as the cruise industry is, I'm inclined to think it's still pales in comparison to both the cargo shipping industry and the massive one - power generation.

So like air travel, I'm not going to pick too much of a bone with this one, but the industry taking measures to become greener just like everything else should of course be pushed for.

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

This thread has changed my perception on cruises for sure, thanks, normal people saying positive things about a cruise is an eye-opener. Certainly not yet on my 'bucket list' but defo on my 'something to consider if the opportunity arises' list.

PS is saying 'we' in relation to plans a normal thing on this forum? I remember a poster a while back saying 'we' in relation to a plan to go to HK, I was absolutely flummoxed and had a moment thinking I'd signed up to go to HK, before they stated they were referring to themselves and their partner like that was a given. Just to be clear, you are not talking about a sea day with me right!?!?!? 

Not sure anyone has every referred to me as a normal person before!

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Jeez. More black smoke than my neighbour's knackered old VW Passat.

• Haha 1

I hadn't considered a cruise until recently, but we have one booked for January 2024 in the Caribbean. I'm not the kind of person who likes sitting still for too long on holiday so the idea of somewhere different every day appealed to me. We sail from the Dominican Republic and have a day in each of St. Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua and somewhere else I can't remember with only one sea day. We paid around EUR800 each for full board, premium drinks and gratuities included, in a balcony cabin. We booked with Costa as they seem to be about the only cruise line who will let you smoke on your balcony, hopefully the captain doesn't know anyone on any of the islands and fancies a sail close to the shore lol