Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Patson Daka

One thing he is utterly diabolical at is running with the ball. Never known a player look rapid when chasing down a ball but on the ball his ability to run is a stark difference. The lack of hold up play is one thing, but the inability to make quick decisions on what to do with the ball, whether that be pass it off or turn and drive forward is a limitation.

His positional play when he first got here was majestic IMO, never known a player never be offside but that's changed since he's lost confidence and momentum here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So just watch us now sell him to Besiktas for 7m

Bloody hope not. Just took the opportunity to watch all his LCFC goals, wasn't counting but I'd say 60% poacher and 40% getting in behind. He'll get a GPG of 1.0 next season even if he played the whole game doing his celebration!

Are not a lot of these statistics based on "sight test" ?...Ok these stats are a more accurate a way of keeping a record of them but they still come down to an assesment of what someone believes they have seen to have occured....Goals scored, ground covered and  minutes on the pitch are all hard facts but a lot of these so called stats are just  subjective assesment ... Assists can range from a pass that dissects a defence, to one that is a sideways pass in front of goal but they all count as one assist.

3 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Are not a lot of these statistics based on "sight test" ?...Ok these stats are a more accurate a way of keeping a record of them but they still come down to an assesment of what someone believes they have seen to have occured....Goals scored, ground covered and  minutes on the pitch are all hard facts but a lot of these so called stats are just  subjective assesment ... Assists can range from a pass that dissects a defence, to one that is a sideways pass in front of goal but they all count as one assist.

Give us an example of a few stats you think are subjective and I'll answer (as calmly as I can!) 

If you think "assists" is a subjective stat though I'm not sure we'll be off to a good start. 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One thing he is utterly diabolical at is running with the ball. Never known a player look rapid when chasing down a ball but on the ball his ability to run is a stark difference. The lack of hold up play is one thing, but the inability to make quick decisions on what to do with the ball, whether that be pass it off or turn and drive forward is a limitation.

His positional play when he first got here was majestic IMO, never known a player never be offside but that's changed since he's lost confidence and momentum here.

He's basically Usain Bolt at soccer aid. Been saying this since first saw him play

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There is no guarantee he will be a success in the Championship, as we don't know how much his confidence took a hit last season, and we also don't know how Enzo will set us up to play and whether that will suit Daka. However, there is a reason signing him was seen as a major coup and Liverpool were interested at the time. He is absolutely rapid and is an instinctive finisher, whilst admittedly still being raw in other areas. 

My optimism is mostly rooted in the hope that Daka and Iheanacho will play together, as I see a good balance, with Iheanacho sat behind Daka and feeding those through balls he seems so adept at, whilst also getting in the box himself. I wish one or both had better first touches, but their key strengths still outweigh their weaknesses and I think giving them the confidence to lead the line for us and play each week together, will potentially form a deadly partnership. 

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Give us an example of a few stats you think are subjective and I'll answer (as calmly as I can!) 

If you think "assists" is a subjective stat though I'm not sure we'll be off to a good start. 

Oh good-oh, Finners is off again lol

Grab a chair and popcorn everyone...

IMG_7251.JPG

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The one positive I took from yesterday is that he said he’ll set up according to who he has, playing to their strengths, rather than last season’s gimp who forced the squad to play his way and his way alone. 

Glad he said that then, was worried if he tried to force it all his way it’d end up like it did under Sousa!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I suppose in terms of assists he means you can get an assist laying it to someone who runs 100 yard, takes on 8 defenders, megs the keeper and scores the greatest individual goal of all time… the stat says assist. But the eyes say it has little to do with said player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

One thing I do think is worth doing is going back and looking at some of the footage of him at Salzburg. I was surprised by how many succesful take ons there were, not really "dribbling" in the Mahrez sense but still a lot more tap and goes akin to Barnes or Vardy that we've not seen Daka do much here. Again, I'd put a lot of this down to confidence and I'd be really keen to see what he came up with here once he really started to thrive and grow in to a starting role. 

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I suppose in terms of assists he means you can get an assist laying it to someone who runs 100 yard, takes on 8 defenders, megs the keeper and scores the greatest individual goal of all time… the stat says assist. But the eyes say it has little to do with said player. 

I dont see how this devalues assists as a stat any more than it does goals. A single goal in isolation can be a fluke, like the ball bouncing off Chris Wood's face or Papy Mendy closing his eyes and smashing it top bins for like his only ever career goal. 

You don't look at the isolated incident, you look at patterns and trends over time. Yes, some guy out there (I can't remember who) got an assist when he tapped it about a yard to Son who then ran the length of the field skinning Burnley's entire defence. But it's one assist in the season. If someone's consistently picking up a high volume of assists per 90 minutes then they're obviously a productive footballer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Do you think he'll be worth £100 million by the end of the season?*

*I believe that was what you claimed when we first signed him.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I can't believe you never saw ade akinbiyi play! 😄 

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2023 at 11:17, Finnegan said:

Don't be harsh on yourself. Maybe your eyes are working great, you just perhaps don't quite understand what you're watching. But that's fine, chin up lad, that's why there's a whole mountain of various statistics to help you out. 

They don't like experts, tell them Daka loves a booze up and Vardy wants to straighten their bananas.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

That, and the absence of the elite manager who made every player bar Madders worse.

thats true, how is daka meant to score when they was feeding on scraps last season

and lets be right last seasons tactics fell of a cliff, and didnt help us at all, far too slow in the build up which didnt help Daka at all

as said by a few in here, there is talent in Daka and i believe the championship could be the making of him here

also hes following on from the best striker we've ever had, so its always going to be a uphill task

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I love the irony in accusing me of being triggered but then going off on some butthurt, insecure wobble about how mean I am for posting actual facts. lol

That said, I do find it a little bit difficult not to be patronising when people are being willfully thick. I'm more than happy to sit and casually explain stats to people without the attitude if they're interested and keen.

But when you're some random fan sat at home convincing yourself your "sight test" is a better judge of a footballer than statistical analysis then it's a little bit harder to shelve the attitude. 

Especially when your "sight test" concludes that a 24 year old man, a 35 cap international, that scored a goal a game, every 50 minutes in fact, in one of Europe's top ten leagues needs to be farmed off to our development squad or sent on loan to OHL to continue his development lol

And a "good chunk" of our fan base thought Albrighton was better than Mahrez, Praet was better than Tielemans and that Maddison and Iheanacho were so bad they should be booed every time they come on the pitch. Forgive me if this doesn't deter me. 

Apologies in advance if my smug, condescending tone hurt your feelings buddy. 

Have you got friends and family on here or multiple accounts? You seem to get a lot of trophy likes for your condescending & dismissive replies to other foxestalk users. 😂 

For me an assessment of Daka is quite simple based on his key stat as a striker. He simply hasn’t scored anywhere near enough goals. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

For me his positional play and specifically his movement off the ball has been suspect in his time here with the naked eye. He just doesn’t move his defender around much. That might’ve been due to Rodgers but I’m not so sure. Anyway, that will need to change if he wants to be part of Maresca’s Man City derived style of play where movement off the ball is absolutely everything.