Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trev3939

Daniel Iversen

I think Rodgers selected Ward for his (alleged) ability to beat the oncoming press from opposition forwards. Iverson being quite inexperienced in the 'invite the press, then play out from back quickly' tactic was left on the bench to watch and learn. Problem is nobody in the back line since Fofana is good at beating an organised press. Chaos  ensued. Ward did have a decent run as the World Cup approached but since then became total jelly. Rodgers had a clear style of play in his mind in which Ward was considered a more suitable choice. There's lots to be said about *why* that style is unsuitable but I doubt there was any malice in the decision.

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

What happened with that save where he somehow scrambled it off the line?

Looked immense from where I was but haven't seen many highlights of it? 

Just now, StanSP said:

How long has Iversen been with us? Was he here before Ward got here? 

Joined us in around 2017-18 from memory - had a few loans, Rotherham, Preston and OH Leuven I think as well. 

43 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's not my fault you backed the wrong horse pal. 

Anyone who had seen any of Iversen's highlights for Preston could see he was decent. He had better stats than Ward from the off. If Ward was better than Iversen he wouldn't have been a career backup keeper. 

Like I say it's not my fault you got it wrong. 

FFS... for about the one hundredth time I didn't BACK anyone. I said I had no idea who was the best, and neither did anyone else because there simply wasn't enough to prove it either way. Which there wasn't. Proclaiming one was DEFINITELY better than the other in the summer was nothing but guess work. 

I could easily say if Iversen was that good he'd have had a breakthrough before the age of very nearly 26 years old... it's meaningless. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Here we go again,  you didn't know. Nobody here knew, nobody had seen more than a couple of games of him playing for Preston and we'd not seen him in the premier league for us

We knew what Ward was like as we'd seen him a few times at least, but until recently we had no idea how good or bad this lad was. It's no different to people proclaiming Tete was going to be amazing off the back of a few games watched in a different league, and it turns out he's utter muck. 

It's not a hard concept to grasp.

if the question was if Iversen was a PL keeper then this would be fair, but it's "how do you know he's better than ward" and in that case it's fair to judge on cup performances and championship performances. Iversen was producing better in cup appearances than Ward was and Wards Huddersfield are the only team I can think of to ever go up with a negative goal difference 

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

FFS... for about the one hundredth time I didn't BACK anyone. I said I had no idea who was the best, and neither did anyone else because there simply wasn't enough to prove it either way. Which there wasn't. Proclaiming one was DEFINITELY better than the other in the summer was nothing but guess work. 

I could easily say if Iversen was that good he'd have had a breakthrough before the age of very nearly 26 years old... it's meaningless. 

Iversen won Preston's fans' and player's player of the season at 24. Ward has never won any kind of recognition through his career that I can find. 

Iversen had more league career appearances than Ward at the start of the season despite being 4 years younger.

Ward has never "had a breakthrough" anywhere in his career despite being nearly 30. 

Albeit anecdotal, Preston fans raved about Iversen the whole time he was there. Has anyone ever raved about Ward? Maybe Huddersfield in the playoff semi final shootout? 

Trying to argue this was some sort of close call at the start of the season is such a strange hill to die on. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

He is a great shot stopper and perfect for what we currently need. Superb last night. I don’t think a top side would ever come in for him due to his kicking and passing though. That’s probably the reason why he hasn’t played as much as he should have as you need to go more direct with him. 

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Iversen won Preston's fans' and player's player of the season at 24. Ward has never won any kind of recognition through his career that I can find. 

Iversen had more league career appearances than Ward at the start of the season despite being 4 years younger.

Ward has never "had a breakthrough" anywhere in his career despite being nearly 30. 

Albeit anecdotal, Preston fans raved about Iversen the whole time he was there. Has anyone ever raved about Ward? Maybe Huddersfield in the playoff semi final shootout? 

Trying to argue this was some sort of close call at the start of the season is such a strange hill to die on. 

Meaningless in terms of whether someone is of sufficient quality in the premier league. How many shit ex leicester players are in this list...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

if the question was if Iversen was a PL keeper then this would be fair, but it's "how do you know he's better than ward" and in that case it's fair to judge on cup performances and championship performances. Iversen was producing better in cup appearances than Ward was and Wards Huddersfield are the only team I can think of to ever go up with a negative goal difference 

It's not fair to judge when they are unlikely to have seen more than a handful of championship games for each.

23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I should add, the opinion of giving him a chance over ward at the start of the season I'm fine with, it's more the proclamations that he's clearly better, when first hand evidence if so weak. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Meaningless in terms of whether someone is of sufficient quality in the premier league. How many shit ex leicester players are in this list...

If it was so easy why didn't Ward get something similar at Huddersfield? Or Aberdeen? Oh he was pipped to the post by Aaron Mooy during his best season lol 

All the stats from the many games both have played at Championship level pointed to Iversen being the better keeper at keeping the ball out of the net. Brendan, mistakenly in my opinion, felt Iversen's kicking/distribution would not complement the style of football he wanted and left it too late to swallow his pride.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If it was so easy why didn't Ward get something similar at Huddersfield? Or Aberdeen? Oh he was pipped to the post by Aaron Mooy during his best season lol 

Aaron Mooy won player of the season... he must be a great premier league player. Oh... he's not, so it's a meaningless award to prove anything isn't it. 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

It wasn't even a close call on here as to whether it should be Ward or Iversen

At the start of August the vast majority on here wanted Iversen as our number 1

image.thumb.png.49c1d94ad64ac712a60f2f16e128c465.png

Was there a poll afterwards of "Iversen or new GK?" Bet 75% would have said new GK. 

29 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Bin off the scouting team then, let's just employ some folk every April/May to scour other teams forums and sod off to their awards nights to see who what players their fans like. That's the proper measure of how good a player is

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stinky said:

Bin off the scouting team then, let's just employ some folk every April/May to scour other teams forums and sod off to their awards nights to see who what players their fans like. That's the proper measure of how good a player is

Yes Stinky from Foxestalk that's exactly what I'm suggesting!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I wouldn't even bother with a new keeper unless it's to replace Ward as second choice or if we have somebody brilliant lined up.

We definitely need another keeper. Ward not even good enough as a second choice IMO. Imagine if Iversen was injured and we had to put the clown that is Danny Ward back in. Would be suicide as we've seen this season.

Like you've said elsewhere, absolutely disgraceful what Rodgers did to us by continuing to play Ward and Amartey ahead of Iversen and Soyoncu. :mad:

• Like 2