Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trev3939

Daniel Iversen

2 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Hey everyone - here's a thought (and an original one too, I reckon - I bet nobody else has ever posted this on FT):

If Iversen had played all season instead of Ward, might we have let in fewer goals? Whaddya reckon?

Despite yesterdays clean sheet he is conceding on average 1.9 goals a game.

Ward 1.77 so not quite as clear cut as many like to think.

11 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Despite yesterdays clean sheet he is conceding on average 1.9 goals a game.

Ward 1.77 so not quite as clear cut as many like to think.

I think you need to look at expected goals vs goals conceded. Ward woefully underperformed based on that measure, while Iversen was overachieving up to the Fulham game when he had a mare. 

I guess he's about mid-ranking now, while Ward will be towards the worst performers. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

I think you need to look at expected goals vs goals conceded. Ward woefully underperformed based on that measure, while Iversen was overachieving up to the Fulham game when he had a mare. 

I guess he's about mid-ranking now, while Ward will be towards the worst performers. 

PSxG/SoT
Per 90

Iversen 0.30

Ward 0.29

PsXG
Per 90

Iversen 1.68

Ward 1.40

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The top 4 of Kasper, Ward, Iverson and Bramley (until released) all had/have issues with distribution, in particular kicking, it cost Matt his career after 13 years 

coaching obviously an issue 

Ive been saying this for a long time....dont know how our GK coaches have managed to escape any scrutiny for so long as they've failed to improve any keeper we've ever had (especially kicking!).....or develop one through the Academy/Youth set-up. 

Who is Matt...?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Hey everyone - here's a thought (and an original one too, I reckon - I bet nobody else has ever posted this on FT):

If Iversen had played all season instead of Ward, might we have let in fewer goals? Whaddya reckon?

I don’t think you’ll find anyone that disagrees with you. 

But Rodgers being Rodgers and his quote of “I’ve always had two number 1’s” put paid to him swallowing his pride. 

• Like 3

I think whatever happens next week, with 1/3 of the squad out of contract and another 1/3 likely to leave replacing Iversen is the least of our worries.

He is learning his trade as a PL goalkeeper and has done a decent job since coming in, goalkeepers hit their peak much later and I think he’ll only get better.

• Like 4

I never had an issue with kasper’s kicking (apart from when he out too much height on the chipped pass to our full back when there was a chance for the opposition fullback to press and take it). Kasper is like ederson compared to iverson! 

a huge issue I have is with iverson is that I’ve never seen him shout at anyone - or call for a cross.  He seems like a mute on the pitch 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I never had an issue with kasper’s kicking (apart from when he out too much height on the chipped pass to our full back when there was a chance for the opposition fullback to press and take it). Kasper is like ederson compared to iverson! 

a huge issue I have is with iverson is that I’ve never seen him shout at anyone - or call for a cross.  He seems like a mute on the pitch 

That's fair. I noticed yesterday how quiet our players were generally, especially in the early parts of the game. Other sides would be encouraging each other vocally on making a good tackle, header etc. It did get better as the game went on. 

4 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

That's fair. I noticed yesterday how quiet our players were generally, especially in the early parts of the game. Other sides would be encouraging each other vocally on making a good tackle, header etc. It did get better as the game went on. 

Yeah they’ve been like this pretty much throughout the brendan era. Kasper was genuinely the only person you ever saw shouting anything. 

Did notice Faes and Evans having a bit of a tiff, which was nice to see. Can’t believe our defence haven’t had more of that considering how kak they’ve been. 

• Like 1

Would we have conceded less goals with Iversen all season and stayed up? Yes

Do we need a new keeper in the summer regardless of league because he also doesn’t look completely up to it at this point? Also yes, IMO

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

One of the defining features of the Rodgers era was the weak character of the squad. Even when we were playing brilliant football and winning lots of games, the team always seemed psychologically brittle. Dropping out of the CL places at the last minute for two consecutive seasons is the most obvious example of this, but there were plenty of collapses within individual games as well. Interestingly, Liverpool and Celtic fans had similar complaints when Rodgers was with them. It's a pattern - Rodgers' teams, at their best, can play superb passing football and score lots of goals, but they tend to struggle when the pressure is on. There aren't enough leaders on the pitch, which means nobody knows what to do when things go wrong.

I really hope whoever becomes our next manager creates a team with a stronger character and a clearer sense of identity. We badly need it. 

He’s a limp manager and he expects the same from his players. He wants everyone to just get along and always to be positive. 

what was alarming is that martin looked just like that and the complaints at swansea were the same again. Thankfully southampton moved quick on him. That type of manager can achieve good things but when the going gets tough it’s not what you need 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Ive been saying this for a long time....dont know how our GK coaches have managed to escape any scrutiny for so long as they've failed to improve any keeper we've ever had (especially kicking!).....or develop one through the Academy/Youth set-up. 

Who is Matt...?

This is the point I made several weeks ago. Stowell is our GK coach but his experience of the requirements of the modern keeper (distribution) is non-existent considering the problems we have had in this regard for many years (and the years he played). Surely it must be easier to coach distribution skills than most other aspects of a goalkeeping skills?

Of course there ae better goalkeepers than Iversen but given the limited budget we have to rebuild the squad a goalkeeper falls well down the list (no matter what division we are in). {Goalkeepers without faults are in very short supply(!) and Iversen has been  good - ok he had a poor first half yesterday but has performed very well since he replaced Ward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

My Dad can't stand Iversen. Thinks he's far too weak and not an upgrade on Ward. Which is awkward because I quite like Iversen.

It's like Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker all over again. Your dad is definitely on the dark side if he thinks Ward is as good as Iversen, btw.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Haha 1

Iversen is an excellent shot stopper however to be able to perform consistently well at the highest level he will need to work on his communication, commanding his area and distribution. 

However if we were relegated he is comfortably good enough to be our starting goalkeeper in the championship with Smithies and Sjoklryck, or however you spell it as back up. There are more urgent requirements to spend what limited budget we would have. 

Ive been impressed by Iversen since he's come into the side tbf. I honestly feel that we would of had a much better chance with him between the sticks for majority of the season instead of Ward.

Edited by Buzzell

I’m still of the thinking that neither Ward nor Iversen could have ever done well from the start of the season coming into a shaky defence and following on straight from Schmeichel. 

Iversen has done better than Ward since replacing him because the pressure was off in terms of goalkeeping expectations - think that had Iversen started the season that it would have been the same story but the other way around, as technically I don’t think there’s much that really splits them, apart from Iversen probably being the better shot stopper and Ward better at distributing the ball. 

Overall, I don’t think Iversen is as good as he looked in his first few games and I don’t think Ward is as bad as he played this season (still not Premier League quality, however), but he was kept in for too long and his confidence clearly was rock bottom - Rodgers should have pulled him out the firing line sooner. 

If there’s an experienced number 1 available on the market and we stay up, then I’d go get them next season. If we go down, stick with Iversen as number 1 and let him develop in the Championship. 

Edited by Pete52
  • Like 1