Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

6 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Okay maybe celebrate was the wrong wording, but you’re openly welcoming the idea that he should lose his job because of his private opinions. His contract with the BBC is for BBC impartiality, not personal impartiality. 

Interesting. My 'private' opinions tend to stay that way, I don't go posting them on social media or telling everyone I meet about them...

• Like 3

Michael Portillo former Tory minister. Everyone knows he is a Tory. Now a very good BBC presenter on Railway Journeys. Under the daft logic that Beeb has got into then he should not have been given the gig. Didn't Robin Day once stand as candidate in elections but went onto be a top current affairs presenter for BBC.

3 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Interesting. My 'private' opinions tend to stay that way, I don't go posting them on social media or telling everyone I meet about them...

I mean you’re free to air your private opinions at any time, they won’t become private anymore, but I was actually meant to put “private account” 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is pretty standard right wing rhetoric. You see it in the States worse than over here, their news networks will bang on about the Liberal Elite and Liberal News Media and how they're all against them whilst at the same time all of networks and newspapers with the highest viewership are conservative.

Its a ploy, a way of getting you to doubt any left wing story you hear whilst assuming that if you hear a right wing view it must be true because - hell the media hate us and even they're saying it! 

The current chairman of the BBC is a former Boris Johnson advisor and Tory donor. Laura Kuenssberg, the political editor of the BBC, is quite firmly and quite far to the right wing. Before her, Nick Robinson is a lifelong Tory and former president of the Oxford University Conservative Association. 

The BBC does have a "problem" of political bias but its not to the left and it isn't a headache for the government, its very much to the right and its their mouthpiece. 

Emily Maitlis warned about this problem in "impartiality" last year and that the tories were interfering. Shortly afterwards Martine Croxall was booted off the air for being slightly too anti Boris.

Lineker hasn't gone because he's broken any sacred rules of the BBC, he's gone because our national broadcaster is being used as a mouthpiece for an increasingly authoritarian and increasingly far right wing government of which he was critical. 

We should all be worried by this. 

Emily received similar treatment to Gary over her exposing the BBC over Brexit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Langton Fox said:

As he is one of us, I’m interested to know what people think about him being told he can’t present MOTD until he rows the BBC line. 
Personally I think it’s a a mistake. Alan Sugar has had plenty to say as a Labour supporter. Andrew Neill, esteemed political presenter on the BBC is editor of the spectator which is not  politically neutral.

Double standards. Poor decision from the BBC

Biggest attack on free speech,to every single man or woman, TV presenter or even young media wanna-bes

Plus an aboniment from all those small minded politicians & their propagandist media friends...

This has to Stop now. This is not just about Gary Linekers,but the basic right of everybody..

If you don't like someone's views,you can't sack them..

BBC should be ashamed kow towing to government or political pressure..

Wrong,wrong,wrong...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

Biggest attack on free speech,to every single man or woman, TV presenter or even young media wanna-bes

Plus an aboniment from all those small minded politicians & their propagandist media friends...

This has to Stop now. This is not just about Gary Linekers,but the basic right of everybody..

If you don't like someone's views,you can't sack them..

BBC should be ashamed kow towing to government or political pressure..

Wrong,wrong,wrong...

I actually understood one of your posts.  And not only that agreed with it.  

👏

Utter cowardice from the utterly useless leaership at the BBC, but then what do you expect when the new Tory director bribed his way into the top job!

Meritless appointment based entirely on cronyism by those privileged posh boys and girls who control the BBC and now MOTD it seems.

No one with any morality, decency or credibility will step in to present it but that leaves the job open for a few hundred tories mp's.

Personally l wont watch it again unless Lineker (the best presenter on sports tv) is asked to return or MOTD goes to a decent channel with GL as the presenter.

What he tweeted is frankly true and if standing up for the poorest and dispossessed is now unacceptable to the BBC (as it patently is to this obnoxious government) then they have ceased to be the impartial outlet they claim to be.

14 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well the comment itself was just out there, comparing to the Nazi’s… could have been said better no need for such a statement 

https://twitter.com/chriswalsh608/status/1633340711943774211?t=y-d2ifKH0kJAtpA5GCRJTA&s=19

Seeing the slow rise to a far right government with no morals, it is a fair comparison to the policies shown here.

It's easy for the BBC to say they want to remain impartial but when they call humans "illegal" in their headlines isnt exactly impartial is it? 

Edited by FoxInTheBirstallBox

18 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Self important know it all that’s always correct?

He just gave an opinion on a hugely important issue. He didn’t claim he was correct. It’s just an opinion.

My opinion of him is not based on this single issue I’ve come to dislike the guy over a long period of time to such a degree that I’m sick of him. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

59 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Would love to see the decent fans amongst us and with a moral compass back him vocally somehow tomorrow. And bollocks to those nutjobs than don't agree with him. 

A few new chants for Gary Lineker,for a few weeks,would be brilliant...

If someone could come up with a short witty ditty,would be marvellous...

Ask Chelsea fans to join in,this goes across football....

• Like 1