Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

BBC Spokesperson: "We have never said that Gary should be an opinion-free zone, or that he can't have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies"

They were fine when he tweeted "Bin Corbyn" though weren't they?

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

In respect of Lineker, he shouldn't be under duress to publicly apologise at the behest of the BBC. Being asked to rein in his social media activity in the future is arguably understandable and this has been broached before. Sadly, he may never return. Perhaps he should have gobbed at a Father and his young daughter after leaving Old Trafford instead?

I’m absolutely with you, and I’m glad Lineker spoke out, the BBC is just a pile of wank. But I was just stating I’ve not watched it for years so makes no difference. I would however watch another alternative with our Gary on.

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If the government had any 'balls' to do this, they would've done it a long time ago.

Exactly they could have controlled the boarders years ago but didn't bother it's sensationalism like Boris announcing he'd send illegal immigrants to Uganda or wherever it was how many of those planes left the UK? These draconian measures will never happen it's just a ploy to get back brexiteers et al

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

BBC Spokesperson: "We have never said that Gary should be an opinion-free zone, or that he can't have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies"

They were fine when he tweeted "Bin Corbyn" though weren't they?

Right. So this issue matters to him but he shouldn't take sides? Ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

But a lot of what the Tories are doing are actually in line with 1930 Nazi party policies

It's a not even a reach to look for comparisons

In your opinion. Be more specific. Actual policies.

16 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I agree with his point, but he could have used better words than comparing to the Nazi’s. This country wouldn’t function without immigration that is for sure, plus he shouldn’t be forced to step down anyway because of a comment which was Over the top.  

7 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

I think the crux of it us the fact he said Nazis. If he'd had chosen a different way to put his honest and well intentioned views across then there might have been less of an issue for some. 

He wrote ‘germany in the 30’s’ 

no mention of nazi’s 

I think he is sticking to his position because he doesn’t feel he actually wrote anything that was particularly out of order.  Many people think he tweeted stuff that he didn’t because of the response from govt. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I find it pretty outrageous. At the risk of stepping too far in to politics, it shouldn't be controversial to call Suella Braverman a fascist. 

The BBC doesn't conform to total impartiality, its a myth. It subscribes to due impartiality, if something is just a fact then they don't have to pretend there's two sides to the story. They didn't, for example, have to pretend that COVID wasn't real or that the vaccine was a lie because that's just nonsense. 

Braverman IS a fascist. That's not an insult or a slur, it's an actual description of where her politics sit on the political spectrum. If that is shocking to people, it should be. She's a really scary example of how quickly the right of the Tory party has jerked to the FAR right. 

No moderate Conservative likes her or her positions, they are genuinely hateful. 

You might think Lineker is a preachy lefty and you might not like his politics, whatever that's fine. But this is one instance in which he's done nothing wrong. 

Oh and let's not forget this is against the backdrop of the Chair of the BBC being in bed with Boris Johnson and the political editor of the BBC being also quite an entrenched, right wing voice. Super impartial. 

If anyone is ever interested in my take on things from a political perspective, just ask Rich what his are.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I agree with his point, but he could have used better words than comparing to the Nazi’s. This country wouldn’t function without immigration that is for sure, plus he shouldn’t be forced to step down anyway because of a comment which was Over the top.  

You've been listening to the politicians bud, HE did not compare anyone to the Nazi’s, he said the language used was reminiscent of 1930's Germany, and in that he is FACTUALLY correct.

Braverman then tried to devalue his words by setting up an aunt Sally in the form of " look he said we are Nazi’s "

He did not, she twisted his words to make them extreme (something that obnoxious creature excels at) and so easier to defend.

• Like 4

Like many on here I imagine, Lineker was my favourite player as a kid. I was even at Wembley to see him score his first England goal v Ireland.

However, they say never meet your heroes.

From personal experience I am afraid this is definitely true of Lineker.

Maybe I caught him on a bad day - twice - but disingenuous and haughty are the two adjectives that immediately spring to mind.

1 minute ago, J. James said:

You've been listening to the politicians bud, HE did not compare anyone to the Nazi’s, he said the language used was reminiscent of 1930's Germany, and in that he is FACTUALLY correct.

Braverman then tried to devalue his words by setting up an aunt Sally in the form of " look he said we are Nazi’s "

He did not, she twisted his words to make them extreme (something that obnoxious creature excels at) and so easier to defend.

Fair play, so it seems his words have been twisted to be more ott than what they actually were. At the end of the day this is blown out of proportion and he shouldn’t be having to step down at all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He wrote ‘germany in the 30’s’ 

no mention of nazi’s 

I think he is sticking to his position because he doesn’t feel he actually wrote anything that was particularly out of order.  Many people think he tweeted stuff that he didn’t because of the response from govt. 

It's pretty clear he was referring to the Nazis. 1930s Germany. They were sadly the only influential party around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Dear Mark, thanks for allowing not one but two political threads on a Friday night.

Next time, can you give me a heads up so I can buy moar popcorn?

It's more you snowflake lefty idiot.  

And I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. And been pleasantly surprised. 

9 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

the policy names are there for you to read up, all are recently in effect or soon to be

Not all of them are policies though are they. E.g. blame all problems on immigrants and minorities. For what's it worth I think GL is right. 

Practically the whole media is there to support the tories now, and their whole existence is an enormous gaslighting project.

THIRTEEN years in power, we are still hearing its the fault of labour and corbyn.

And now we are getting close to an election and they are behind in the polls, they bring out their trump card: hatred of immigrants.

The same issue they bring out every time they need to divide people and hope more people fall on their side of the divide.

Its basically disgusting. Lineker had it right. Thats why he has been cancelled.

• Like 4

I dunno maybe Gary gas gotten bored with footy and has read mein kampf cover to cover and become an expert in German social policies in the 1930's and his assessment is important and relevant but can't help thinking he's my age and has 8.7 million followers and I can't influence my daughter to tidy her room...