Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

1 minute ago, harpendenfox said:

So over the last few years I've watched a programme on Sky Atlantic called Babylon Berlin. Yes it is a work of fiction, but is based on the atmosphere in early 1930s Berlin. It's great viewing in its own right in my opinion, but for a portrayal of how the atrocities of Nazism emerged, how once unacceptable behaviour becomes acceptable, it is fascinating viewing. 

I know many will feel politics should be kept out of sport, and here we are on a sports forum, but some things are more important than football. 

As a long time FoxesTalk participant I'd also like to comment that I think this particular thread has been excellent, full of extremely thoughtful contributions, and debated in a civilised manner, which is not always our strong point!

It's a great TV series.

Whatever the intricacies of what Gary said and remember he's using a platform that has a limited character count to get his opinion across, the point still remains that our elected government representatives have been using language that demonises and unfairly represents people that are seeking refuge. There was just no need for it, unless you purposely want to antagonise. 

Clearly this is a very personal issue for Gary and he should be able to give his opinion, it's not as if he's airing his views about every area of government policy from defence, through to farming. My wife worked with refugees for a number of years from a psychological perspective and she feels strongly about this, so I understand where he is coming from. 

• Like 2

So am I right in thinking that the BBC are upset with Lineacre due to his breach of their impartiality?  Or was it just the inference of Nazi’s again?

In all honesty it beggars belief. Not one trustworthy mainstream media outlet around now.  The BBC, like many others, have become a propaganda machine littered with opinion a bias.

I don’t agree with Gary on many things, but he should be as free as you or I to voice his opinion. Most people don’t find opinions threatening, because they are just that, opinions. We all have them, many are wrong. Free speech is important, fundamental even to a safe and secure democracy, and we’re slipping far away from that now. 

• Like 1

"The Prime Minister chooses the BBC Director-General" - from a BBC BT interview this morning with an ex senior BBC executive.

That's inbuilt bias from the top down - whichever party's PM has made the decision.

As a publicly funded organisation, the public should elect the D-G whenever the next election arises - with known politicians of any ilk barred from the process. The problem is that the BBC, from its inception under Reith, was essentially upper middle-class - staffed, in an era where class determined ones social position, by Oxbridge graduates with 'good connections'.

The organisation of the BBC is, at its core, reactionary. The one programme which epitomises this has been 'Question Time'  where politicians engage in a war of words - defending their positions and dissing the others - presided over by BBC establishment figures - whom one suspects are the people who are, at their core, conservative by nature.

Lineker's antecedents are in complete contrast. An intelligent lad whose talents in football took him to the top of a sporting sector phenomenon, was chosen for his affability and communications ability to lead the flagship programme of Britain's favourite spectator sport.

That he chooses to use his high profile to comment on the various iniquities and idiocies performed by the Governments of the day, outside of his BBC role, is, for me, his right. There are many others, employed and hence backed by right-wing media, whose declarations are far more ill-considered and deferent to the calamitous actions of the post-Cameron era Chaos-government which we are all trying to cope with. In truth our governments, of May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak, are beginning to resemble the chaos of Weimar Germany - where an ineffectual 'democracy' failed to get to grips with inflation, food poverty, unemployment and open warfare between fascism and communism.

Lineker's comparison is therefore more apt than just a soundbite from a media luvvie - the kind who "don't know about politics, but like Boris because he's a bit of a laugh". Hitler was considered to be a laughable figure - until the German people woke up from their fugue in 1945 and realised just what they'd allowed to happen.

I just wish there were more like Lineker prepared to state the obvious and stick by their word.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

All roads lead back to David Cameron. It was him who opened Pandora’s Box and created this division in the country with his needless, absurd, vanity project referendum that no one really wanted, because of a small bit of infighting within his own party that would’ve cost them maybe 3 or 4 seats at most.

Remember after the 2012 Olympics when the country was celebrating a wave of general good will and it felt like it all brought us together? The country changed notably since the language and rhetoric of the 2016 referendum. 

Cameron should be remembered by history as the Sulla of the modern era who sowed all the seeds for the current mess.

Exactly this, I feel this was the turn for the government where they felt they could lie without repercussions, biggest one being pro Brexit Tories promising millions every week for the NHS if we left Europe.

It's like they didn't get publicly called on it by the media so they carried on the lies because there was no punishment 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Because he was put in place by a government that wants to control the narrative.

I was referring to Lineker, he works for the BBC who are supposed to be impartial. We largely agree it’s a dick move,  but the BBC is always a puppet for the current government unfortunately.

If any of you think the authoritarian streak of government will end when the government changes from right to left, then you will be disappointed.

Left and right is the last thing the establishment has to keep us divided.

You only have to look at your own life to realise that this divide is not true.

How many of us do not have both right and left wing traits ?

If you ever wished to preserve anything, family, your environment, your culture or your wealth, then you are displaying conservative traits.

If you ever wished to be progressive, creative, change the culture or take other peoples wealth by redistribution, then these are traits of the left.

I wonder how many of us are on the right on some issues and on the left for other issues?

Politics are far too tribal to be honest.

• Like 4

Just now, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Exactly this, I feel this was the turn for the government where they felt they could lie without repercussions, biggest one being pro Brexit Tories promising millions every week for the NHS if we left Europe.

It's like they didn't get publicly called on it by the media so they carried on the lies because there was no punishment 

The thing is, it’s not like you can say Cameron couldn’t have known what he was letting out into the country. As if you watch “The Cameron Years” on BBC iPlayer, Cameron openly admits that George Osbourne and Nick Clegg both begged him not to put the referendum in his 2015 election manifesto and starkly warned him he’d be opening up Pandora’s Box in doing so.

And who exactly was even talking about it? I don’t remember anyone mentioning the referendum or the EU even being an issue or talked about at all in the lead up to the 2015 election. the build up was all about the success or failiure of austerity and whether Ed Milliband could eat a bacon sandwich or not. It was a small side policy Cameron brought in because he got cocky in winning the Scottish Indy ref and voting reform ref and thought it would be an easy way to say to the UKIP crowd “well we’ve already done that now” so it could put them to bed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The thing is, it’s not like you can say Cameron couldn’t have known what he was letting out into the country. As if you watch “The Cameron Years” on BBC iPlayer, Cameron openly admits that George Osbourne and Nick Clegg both begged him not to put the referendum in his 2015 election manifesto and starkly warned him he’d be opening up Pandora’s Box in doing so.

And who exactly was even talking about it? I don’t remember anyone mentioning the referendum or the EU even being an issue or talked about at all in the lead up to the 2015 election. the build up was all about the success or failiure of austerity and whether Ed Milliband could eat a bacon sandwich or not. It was a small side policy Cameron brought in because he got cocky in winning the Scottish Indy ref and voting reform ref and thought it would be an easy way to say to the UKIP crowd “well we’ve already done that now” so it could put them to bed.

Exactly that, I don't remember any of it leading up, but only the couple of weeks pre referendum it got traction, and an even more vivid memory is seeing so many oldies voting out with the mindset of "ahh I'll do it for a laugh, it'll never happen anyway" and then the shock waking up the following morning to the news

14 hours ago, Le Renard said:

Why do the last 2 Home Secretaries hate immigrants so much, when they are children of immigrants?  You'd think they would be understanding, but they seem to want to prove who's the hardest bar steward. 

..you mean Pritti Patel? who spent her time in government cultivating her own agenda, and now Braverman,  who sees this as a way of gaining respect, by espousing far right ideology!!!

You listen to Rishi Sunak, he is of the same mindset.

This leads into a slant of colourism, as if an African politician was in that position,  I do not see there would be a push for the sanctions mooted.

• Like 3

Just now, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Exactly that, I don't remember any of it leading up, but only the couple of weeks pre referendum it got traction, and an even more vivid memory is seeing so many oldies voting out with the mindset of "ahh I'll do it for a laugh, it'll never happen anyway" and then the shock waking up the following morning to the news

'oldies' bit ageist

• Haha 1