Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Free speech and incitement/hate speech are not the same thing though are they. The line may get blurred though, I would agree

True there is a line. And everyones opinion where that line starts and stops stops will differ. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's clear you made up your mind before even reading what Lineker wrote. He didn't compare a UK policy to anything. He wasn't even talking about a policy, but referring to the language used in a specific speech by Suella Braveman, which he said was "not dissimilar" (his exact words) to words use in 1930s Germany, which was objectively true.

We all know exactly what he was trying to say.

To be clear I defend his right to say it, not that I agree with it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Towelie said:

And Linekar should be the poster boy for the working class and poor.

From working on a market stall to scoring goals for England at the World Cup.

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Has Gary Lineker told the poor and working class how to live their life though? Never seen him do that. I think people who are rich and then think somehow people on below average salaries can just go out and buy an electric car or upgrade their old boiler at the drop of a hat are fair game for criticism, but Lineker speaking out over our government's treatment of refugees and people's traffickers has nothing to do with someone earning a minimum wage or claiming benefits in this country.

I agree and to be fair if you re-read my post I did say in my initial post my comment was a bit off topic and therefore not related to what Lineker said...

Edited by Nalis

5 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Shame the whole MOTD has been cancelled as we could have sung Gary Lineker songs all match long and the BBC would have to have let us hear some of it.

Has it been cancelled? According to the BBC’s live feed on this story, MoTD is still going ahead…

18 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

If you have similar veiws to the government then you are allowed to voice them and carry on presenting on the beeb like Clarkson and Sir Alan Sugar, but if your veiws oppose the government then you get taken of air. This is a very dangerous precedent. 

Totally agree.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Has it been cancelled? According to the BBC’s live feed on this story, MoTD is still going ahead…

It’s an opportunity to sack the overpaid and underworked lot and let’s have a new format, fresh faces, new ideas.

2 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Full scale revolt now... Final score, 5live also impacted.

Waiting for actual matches to be cancelled. 

Infact, let's cancel this whole season. 

4 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

It’s an opportunity to sack the overpaid and underworked lot and let’s have a new format, fresh faces, new ideas.

I was referring to tonight’s episode, which Long Eaton Fox seemed to think was cancelled. But in response to your point, I seriously doubt that’s going to happen - the BBC will want Lineker back on as soon as possible. It’s just a matter of how they manage that without completely losing face and incurring the wrath of the government, of whom they’re clearly terrified.

Edited by ClaphamFox

4 hours ago, HoChiMinhFOX said:

Weird comment. Sure he's done more than about 99% of the population in relation to the issue.

99 percent of the population don’t have a problem with mass immigration though.
What about also supporting those nearer to home as well as a man stuck in the Asylum System from Turkey.

Or given that he is such an advocate for immigration maybe going down to Dover and getting some real insight and randomly housing someone direct from a boat as opposed to the “thorough screening and vetting process” that resulted in him taking in someone studying to be a Rocket Scientist.

Maybe he could also use his voice and speak out on the 1400 hundred homeless on any given night last year in his own County and potentially open up his home to some Local young men that have fallen on hard times and are homeless, if he has the space of course.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Not only did he not compare it to the holocaust, we should do our best to be vigilant that these things aren't repeated rather than pretend they won't ever happen again.

He didn't mention that word you're right  but he knew what he was saying and it's too close to the bone for some people.

When you're talking about vulnerable people you cannot compare people who are trying to force their way illegally in to our or any other country  ( as the Nazis did of course) such as  young male Albanians who live in a safe country with people who were fleeing Germany in the 30s for their lives to survive and were persecuted and murdered  in their  millions. We're not just talking about Jewish people as you will probably know.

It's an error of judgement at least and it creates diversity, which it's doing on this forum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

By the way no one cared about Gary's commitment to BBC impartiality when he literally tweeted "Bin Corbyn" in 2017. It's as if when there was a politician who actually cared about refugees he was fair game because he threatened Gary's big houses and tax dodging. Man's a virtue signalling clown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marcymarc666 said:

He didn't mention that word you're right  but he knew what he was saying and it's too close to the bone for some people.

When you're talking about vulnerable people you cannot compare people who are trying to force their way illegally in to our or any other country  ( as the Nazis did of course) such as  young male Albanians who live in a safe country with people who were fleeing Germany in the 30s for their lives to survive and were persecuted and murdered  in their  millions. We're not just talking about Jewish people as you will probably know.

It's an error of judgement at least and it creates diversity, which it's doing on this forum.

Again, we are supposed to be vigilant that such a situation does not happen again, not pretend it can never happen again. And trying to imply that refugees are all criminals is exactly the type of thing we need to avoid. In almost all cases they are refugees because countries like us have ****ed their country over.

• Like 1

What a load of political instigated Bull Schitt the BBC have bowed down to political interference in sports broadcasting just because Gary had the audacity to cast His own view over one of their policies but yet he was allowed to air his views on the World Cup in Qatar freely, now they’re finding out their own decisions have caused a huge backlash against themselves by the negative media and the fact that all of Gary’s colleagues are standing behind him !

Edited by justfoxes

So in reality, lineker has been suspended not for what he wrote, but for the reaction to it. The government has inferred their meaning from it and escalated accordingly. They could have just ignored it and moved on. But that’s hard to do when there is convenient outrage to keep other failings (looking at you HS2) from the front pages. 

• Like 3