Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

Sorry mate but no.  As has been pointed out plenty of people who make coin from the BBC (e.g. Sugar) have spouted political stuff on personal social media accounts and got away with it.

You can't ignore it for one and then get your knickers in a twist (the BBC not you) for another because it criticises the government.

So your work would be fine with you raging against their customers/suppliers on your social media? That was my point before you started adopting some tirade as if as I am supporting the BBC.

21 minutes ago, 99 Problems said:

Personally I’m getting sick of football pundits getting political. The way Gary Neville has woven his Labour supporting views into Sky Sports shows at times has been sickening to watch. 

I don’t like the new refugee policy and I don’t like the Tories. The last person I want to hear from on the matter though is Lineker or Neville 

But Lineker didn’t air his comment on a football programme. 

He made his comment on an open forum website whereby a person has a choice to follow that person for their opinion. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

It isn't, its not balance, its bias. 

Fiona Bruce is another fairly entrenched Conservative.

Bruce and the government are a great marriage..

Definitely a mouthpiece for them.

Edited by Wymsey

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

So your work would be fine with you raging against their customers/suppliers on your social media? That was my point before you started adopting some tirade as if as I am supporting the BBC.

Slightly gets a bit muddy though as Lineker is in effect freelance. He’s on numerous TV platforms. 

• Like 1

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Slightly gets a bit muddy though as Lineker is in effect freelance. He’s on numerous TV platforms. 

Yes it does, but they pay him so he will be expected to abide by some guidelines, that was my only point. Still fair play to him tbh.

Utterly ridiculous.

I like people to have views and express them. Gary Lineker presents MOTD not Question Time so should be allowed his opinion.

I’m not even sure his remarks were that political anyway. What I believe he was actually trying to say was that we should be careful with our language and not demonise those who risk their lives crossing the channel. His mistake was to conflate it with the regime in 1930s Germany, which was totally too far and unfortunate. Now instead of conveying what I believe is an important message he’s just allowed a lot of politicians to hide behind a mask of self-righteous indignation. He’s actually helped their cause. 

All this for a policy that is doomed to failure anyway and was only put forward to grandstand to the baying masses who want an immediate fix to the immigration problem. They know it will play well to a certain market who don’t have the intelligence to realise that is a cover for the absence of a properly considered and coherent policy. 

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The BBC IS the government. We currently have one of the least impartial and most politically biased forms of the BBC we've ever had. That's the problem. 

That and the fact that everyone treats politics like football these days. You support a team and you don't stray from it, in fact, changing sides is treachery. 

Which is why you'll have Tory voters stick their fingers in their ears and deny that Braverman is exactly what Lineker implied she is, because they don't want to feel like they're the Bad Guys. 

...the Conservatives have long had a problem with the BBC, it sees it as very much to the political left and has it in their sights to bring it down or get it to tow the line (espouse their beliefs)!!!

They are not going to stop until the BBC are officially their mouth piece, it has a major influence and the Tories have for sometime seen it as their enemy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I mean

16 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

I mean 

In respect of Lineker, he shouldn't be under duress to publicly apologise at the behest of the BBC. Being asked to rein in his social media activity in the future is arguably understandable and this has been broached before. Sadly, he may never return. Perhaps he should have gobbed at a Father and his young daughter after leaving Old Trafford instead?

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Ok that's fine I'll revisit that but my original post and I stand by it is I don't like how he's become this self important know it all that's always correct.

Self important know it all that’s always correct?

He just gave an opinion on a hugely important issue. He didn’t claim he was correct. It’s just an opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Who said I'm celebrating? I don't celebrate that I've come to dislike someone I used to admire.

Okay maybe celebrate was the wrong wording, but you’re openly welcoming the idea that he should lose his job because of his private opinions. His contract with the BBC is for BBC impartiality, not personal impartiality. 

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Tirade?  Bit strong!  

I run my own business and I don't use social media so that's not really relevant.  And nor is what your employer would do.  That's my point.

The BBC seems perfectly fine with political tweets when it suits them.

They can't have it both ways.  We must judge them on what they have done historically not on what some employer on the Clapham omnibus might do in a hypothetical situation.  

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer, I didn't intend to come across as having a rant at you apologies if that's how it appeared 

Wonder if the BBC are looking for a bit of an excuse to push Lineker out as he is on a very large wage and not that young now?

Even if they didn't agree with the comment no-one will want to go on and be seen going against the big boss so to speak.

I find it amazing how marmite Lineker is, even more so as a leicester fan. 

I personally really like the bloke and because he cares enough to put his views out there people get frustrated with him. Isnt that the whole point of twitter, hes allowed his opinions and if you dont like them dont follow him. 

If he was sat doing motd telling everyone that they should take a refugee into their house then id get it. But it seems to be just a clash of peoples own political views. 

Another example is morrisey... yeah he's a massive turd but that doesnt mean I wont listen to the smiths, I just ignore him outside of the music. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Wonder if the BBC are looking for a bit of an excuse to push Lineker out as he is on a very large wage and not that young now?

Even if they didn't agree with the comment no-one will want to go on and be seen going against the big boss so to speak.

This is a fairly catastrophic way of going about it if so! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

They are scared of the right wing press. If they wanted him to go I'm sure an amicable agreement would've been reached before.

• Like 1

Suella Braverman was told by a Jewish Holocaust survivor that her language reminded her of that used by the Nazis.

What Lineker said was tame and plenty of people who are talking heads for the BBC air views. Ffs Clarkson had to physically assault a producer before he was given the boot.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Was it rediculous? 

It's quite clear to see policies infringing on rights to vote, rights to protest, rights for immigrants to settle where they decide to and many others be blocked by policies in the last two year's

It's nice to see someone with a public voice stand up for those who don't. Many wish more would do that but yet when it happens gammons all kick off because those with different skin colour want to settle here. Very few saw problems with Ukrainians moving here from a war torn country, yet war torn Syrians escape here and it's an issue?

Well the comment itself was just out there, comparing to the Nazi’s… could have been said better no need for such a statement