Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
East Langton Fox

Gary Lineker steps down from MOTD

20 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Tirade?  Bit strong!  

I run my own business and I don't use social media so that's not really relevant.  And nor is what your employer would do.  That's my point.

The BBC seems perfectly fine with political tweets when it suits them.

They can't have it both ways.  We must judge them on what they have done historically not on what some employer on the Clapham omnibus might do in a hypothetical situation.  

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer, I didn't intend to come across as having a rant at you apologies if that's how it appeared 

No, it’s fine, I am sure I overreacted. We literally had this exact type of ‘guidance’ at work this week, and the worst part was, it seemed reasonable at first.  :(

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

My opinion of him is not based on this single issue I’ve come to dislike the guy over a long period of time to such a degree that I’m sick of him. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

Of course it doesn’t make you a bad person. I rather like the man. We’ll agree to disagree 

Personally I don't care if Lineker hosts MotD, but I agree with a boycott... you can't be having an organisation preventing you from expressing opinions like that. What if he spoke in favour? Would they be so quick to take the same action?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Why do the last 2 Home Secretaries hate immigrants so much, when they are children of immigrants?  You'd think they would be understanding, but they seem to want to prove who's the hardest bar steward. 

The Tories have always liked to kick the ladder away

1 hour ago, East Langton Fox said:

As he is one of us, I’m interested to know what people think about him being told he can’t present MOTD until he rows the BBC line. 
Personally I think it’s a a mistake. Alan Sugar has had plenty to say as a Labour supporter. Andrew Neill, esteemed political presenter on the BBC is editor of the spectator which is not  politically neutral.

Double standards. Poor decision from the BBC

He is not one of me!!

Although he is entitled to his opinion he appears to have a penchant for being more and more outspoken and controversial in recent years.

To me, he seems more akin to David Icke!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No, it’s fine, I am sure I overreacted. We literally had this exact type of ‘guidance’ at work this week, and the worst part was, it seemed reasonable at first.  :(

I have been an employee and I have had similar guidance.  

I think James O'Brien has it.  Linekar has enough money to not give a fvck.  The rest of us not so much.   

We should be free to air our opinions (within reason, free speech is never an absolute) without our employers trying to gag us.

Sadly that's never going to be a reality.  

However, where the BBC has so flagrantly allowed others like Alan Sugar to spout off it's quite rightly now blowing up in their faces over Linekar.  

Similarly if your employer penalised you for expressing a political opinion but let your colleague get away with it, they'd be struggling to justify it at an employment tribunal.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

It’s a good job they haven’t kicked him off the programme for criticising the government, because that would look well 1930s fascist…………hang on a second………

To be fair, they didn’t - the BBC did, but they shouldn’t have given in to the ridiculous b@&&@cks and faux outrage of said Tory party.

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

The fact that this cretin Alastair Cambell can go on TV and carp on about the rights of refugee's when his dodgy dossier for an illegal war in Iraq created more of them than most (as well as killing a million) is a joke.

fair point - maybe we should be asking everyone who appears on news/current affairs to state all the potential conflicts of interest before they begin to speak ……

I wonder if Gary will take advantage of his afternoon off and come to the King Power tomorrow…..

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

I would say the Tories have picked this fight rather than the BBC.  

And let's face it this current crop of Tories are as thick as mince.  They have the political nous of a heavily inebriated badger, but with considerably less charm.  

Worst administration I’ve ever known, this Tory lot. The fook ups they’ve made since being in office have been astounding.

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

I would say the Tories have picked this fight rather than the BBC.  

And let's face it this current crop of Tories are as thick as mince.  They have the political nous of a heavily inebriated badger, but with considerably less charm.  

You are my new favourite poet 

And yeah it is a degree of both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1