Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Chelsea post match 1-3

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

We are defending like cnuts but we have a manager insisting on a high line with players in defence who aren’t quick and a midfield what can’t press effectively. 

The answer is staring him in the face after the victories v Spurs and Villa…which was replicated in the ten minute spell in the first half yesterday. We thrive in chaos - we thrive when the game is like basketball. Stop the control waffle and take the hand break off. 

Exactly. We play our best football when we go against our norm.

2 hours ago, Rossiter said:

I think Sven when he was here got the players to disrupt any momentum the opposition had with 'injuries'. It's nothing new but it seems to have increased lately.

Muzzy would often have a lie down and the magic sponge when the opposing team had momentum.

I would recommend that every player requiring on pitch assessment has to be assessed for a further 2 minutes off pitch before having to resume. It would stop some of the fakery, if not all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The second goal should’ve had all three of them released on a free. That’s lack of ability, coaching and sense. 

2 of the back three chosen and signed by Rodgers, the 3rd chosen ahead of Evans, Soyuncu or Westergard (also a Rodgers signing).

If the back two/three cannot play a high line then that is no one's fault other than Rodgers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

They couldn’t believe that our defence managed to be so terrible to play him onside - wasn’t even really close either - no need for lines.  They were also shocked by ward’s contribution 

image.png.2dd4978a2b40974f125fd98f8d83bc93.png

Am I missing something here. I was looking at the blonde hair player between Faes and Souttar. Or was he not interring with play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Or maybe people have different opinions?

99% of them by the looks of it. ;-)  Hope all those with differing opinions (just in case it isn't clear, it is those who think Rodgers should continue to manage us) will be happy with the end result then. The easiest thing to do is do nothing... and thinking that doing nothing can lead to change. 

Guest Col city fan

I saw the Everton game yesterday as a great example of changing the manager for the better.

Everton scored a very early goal, a nice one from McNeil

Then, and against a freely scoring Brentford side, they closed ranks, defended resolutely and secured the one nil victory. 
This was ‘boring’ Dyche at his best and miles apart from Lampard, under which Everton would have conceded yesterday.

He’s got defenders who, like us, were conceding goals for fun, now tighter, more compact and with a clear game plan.

10 Mill a year Rodgers (I’m sorry but I still can’t get over that), has us doing exactly the opposite. Playing with a high line, leaving gaps behind.. and conceding week after week after week.

Its shocking management, tactically. 
Everton will stay up because they made the change when needed. I think.

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Just mustered the energy to see the extended highlights. Much of yesterday was a blur, to the point that none of us (me wifey and boy) could even remember Faes being sent off. Was certainly a rollercoaster of emotions from the Tifo at the start, through to really giving it a go at the end of the first half, to the inevitable Brendan out chants and the early emptying out of the stadium in the 2nd half.

My overriding feeling was that i was not watching a particularly good Chelsea team. This is the bit that hurts the most. Chilwells goal was so soft (Ward is unbelievably slow), and after Daka (great goal btw) got us back in it we had an excellent spell towards the end of the second half. The strangest part of all this, was that after Chelsea had a potential 2nd goal scrubbed off for offside, the first Rodgers out chants started and loads of people disappeared around us. Loads of people missed an overturned goal, us scoring and really getting into the game.

Then their second.... Nothing to say really. It felt at that point everything died around me. Again it was soft and there was a bit of sad poetry watching Ward just stare at the ball 'drifting' over his head. 

I remember very little about the 2nd half, other than lots of Fofana chanting and KDH scuffing a sitter. 

So back to my point about Chelsea, i feel the majority of our relegation competition would more likely get something out of that game. Last season i think we would have got something out of that game. Their first 2 goals were so soft. It feels to me this was a game that Brendan was willing to give a go, but under no circumstances should we be allowed to win.His mini's should be allowed to ride in the same race as the Ferrari, but under no circumstances should you be allowed to compete properly.

Its depressing. Everyone around us if fighting. Southampton have just ground out a draw at Old Trafford which is something this current team and management would never do. We refuse to win ugly, we refuse to do anything that isn't Brendan ball.

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. It was a poor and thoroughly depressing afternoon, including the old chap in front of me who thought i was having a go at him when i was singing along.  I felt the time to act was after Brighton earlier in the season. He's had his backing and if anything its got worse, so now is the time to act. No point waiting for Brentford and calling it 'must win', as this is a cycle that never ends. Get rid now and sort out an appointment to spend quality time with the team during the international break. At the very worst, let Knudsen take the Brentford game and release the shackles from the current players.  

And on to the team playing for Rodgers still, Maddison might be but the not a chance from the rest of them. The last 10 minutes was a frightful watch. None of the highlights articulate how much the teams heads dropped in the last 10 and if the board watch any of this again, they should see the last 10 minutes in a loop for an afternoon. Here is a team 'fighting' for relegation, where even goal difference could make a difference.  Heck, nick a goal in the 85th minute and you could have a riotous last 10 minutes. Rodgers was getting nothing out of the players, whilst he is standing on the sidelines clapping along. They were not playing for him. They just wanted to go home. Its over.

Last thing really, why was Maddison playing so deep for much of the game? There were obviously moments of him showing his attacking ability, especially towards the end of the first half, but he spent a huge amount really deep. I presume its just me not understanding the change in formation.

I love these posts from people who were actually at the game and giving their reflection of how it ‘felt’ to be there yesterday.

Great post.

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I agree, but I'm saying I can see why he did it.

IMO it would have been better to keep the same shape but put some of the same players on. Barnes could have played up top with Nacho, Soumare could replace Mendy if he wants to freshen things up.

With today's game, poor defending cost us. What you can put on the manager is questioning if we should be playing a high line or not. Potter made a change and played Mudryk centrally so he could exploit our high line, and it worked out time and time again for Chelsea. So we made defensive errors, but we also put ourselves in a position where those errors are likely to happen.

Maybe we need to be more pragmatic in some of our games, but I don't think we are the type of team that can grind out results.

We are the definition of a team that tries to play a high press, but can't do it properly. That's why we concede so many chances.

Yeah they’re all fair points except the Soumare one IMO. He doesn’t freshen anything up. He comes on and looks un-athletic even when most of the players on the pitch have probably already cover 5-6km already. 

I wasn’t trying to put the result on Rodgers (if that’s how it came across). We had chances, he can’t help it that KDH didn’t make full contact or that Barnes shot was blocked on the line. 

The thing about the high line and the defence having lions share of the possession is that we don’t have the players to play that way. If you gamble often, the risk of losing is always going to be greater. If we played a different style of football, these mistakes would happen less often. This obviously wouldn’t make us a great team as you open yourself up to other issues. 

Personally I don’t think he has is playing this way because he thinks we’re capable. He doesn’t trust us to let the opponent have possession and us be able to defend capably. 

As much as I don’t like the bloke, he’s on a hiding to nothing with this squad. Whether or not that’s down to him is another debate and I’m too hungover to start on that one! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Just mustered the energy to see the extended highlights. Much of yesterday was a blur, to the point that none of us (me wifey and boy) could even remember Faes being sent off. Was certainly a rollercoaster of emotions from the Tifo at the start, through to really giving it a go at the end of the first half, to the inevitable Brendan out chants and the early emptying out of the stadium in the 2nd half.

My overriding feeling was that i was not watching a particularly good Chelsea team. This is the bit that hurts the most. Chilwells goal was so soft (Ward is unbelievably slow), and after Daka (great goal btw) got us back in it we had an excellent spell towards the end of the second half. The strangest part of all this, was that after Chelsea had a potential 2nd goal scrubbed off for offside, the first Rodgers out chants started and loads of people disappeared around us. Loads of people missed an overturned goal, us scoring and really getting into the game.

Then their second.... Nothing to say really. It felt at that point everything died around me. Again it was soft and there was a bit of sad poetry watching Ward just stare at the ball 'drifting' over his head. 

I remember very little about the 2nd half, other than lots of Fofana chanting and KDH scuffing a sitter. 

So back to my point about Chelsea, i feel the majority of our relegation competition would more likely get something out of that game. Last season i think we would have got something out of that game. Their first 2 goals were so soft. It feels to me this was a game that Brendan was willing to give a go, but under no circumstances should we be allowed to win.His mini's should be allowed to ride in the same race as the Ferrari, but under no circumstances should you be allowed to compete properly.

Its depressing. Everyone around us if fighting. Southampton have just ground out a draw at Old Trafford which is something this current team and management would never do. We refuse to win ugly, we refuse to do anything that isn't Brendan ball.

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. It was a poor and thoroughly depressing afternoon, including the old chap in front of me who thought i was having a go at him when i was singing along.  I felt the time to act was after Brighton earlier in the season. He's had his backing and if anything its got worse, so now is the time to act. No point waiting for Brentford and calling it 'must win', as this is a cycle that never ends. Get rid now and sort out an appointment to spend quality time with the team during the international break. At the very worst, let Knudsen take the Brentford game and release the shackles from the current players.  

And on to the team playing for Rodgers still, Maddison might be but the not a chance from the rest of them. The last 10 minutes was a frightful watch. None of the highlights articulate how much the teams heads dropped in the last 10 and if the board watch any of this again, they should see the last 10 minutes in a loop for an afternoon. Here is a team 'fighting' for relegation, where even goal difference could make a difference.  Heck, nick a goal in the 85th minute and you could have a riotous last 10 minutes. Rodgers was getting nothing out of the players, whilst he is standing on the sidelines clapping along. They were not playing for him. They just wanted to go home. Its over.

Last thing really, why was Maddison playing so deep for much of the game? There were obviously moments of him showing his attacking ability, especially towards the end of the first half, but he spent a huge amount really deep. I presume its just me not understanding the change in formation.

You said we had an excellent spell towards the end of the second half but also that we were frightful for the last 10 mins?

Not to be facetious because it’s a great post having not being at the game I’d like to know 

what you meant. Brain fart I assume :sweating:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

You said we had an excellent spell towards the end of the second half but also that we were frightful for the last 10 mins?

Not to be facetious because it’s a great post having not being at the game I’d like to know 

what you meant. Brain fart I assume :sweating:

Brain fart. I meant excellent spell towards the end of the first half, before their 2nd goal. And by excellent i mean just not rubbish. Edited my post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

My overriding feeling was that i was not watching a particularly good Chelsea team. This is the bit that hurts the most. Chilwells goal was so soft (Ward is unbelievably slow), and after Daka (great goal btw) got us back in it we had an excellent spell towards the end of the first half. The strangest part of all this, was that after Chelsea had a potential 2nd goal scrubbed off for offside, the first Rodgers out chants started and loads of people disappeared around us. Loads of people missed an overturned goal, us scoring and really getting into the game.

The last 10 minutes were shocking and definitely not helped by having taken both your strikers off (replaced by a shell of a vardy) when you are chasing goals

11 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

We are defending like cnuts but we have a manager insisting on a high line with players in defence who aren’t quick and a midfield what can’t press effectively. 

The answer is staring him in the face after the victories v Spurs and Villa…which was replicated in the ten minute spell in the first half yesterday. We thrive in chaos - we thrive when the game is like basketball. Stop the control waffle and take the hand break off. 

Only one out of the three goals yesterday was anything to do with the high line, and that was the last one where we were chasing the lead - even then, the defenders were back in position when the strike was taken.

It's just that our defenders are completely soft, and our midfield offers zero protection.

Oh, and out goalkeeper is crap.

And the entire team are demoralised and haven't had a lead to hold onto as long as anyone can remember.

10 hours ago, Rossiter said:

I think Sven when he was here got the players to disrupt any momentum the opposition had with 'injuries'. It's nothing new but it seems to have increased lately.

All teams do it when they are winning. We haven't been winning in so long that we think it is only things opposition players do.

8 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Only one out of the three goals yesterday was anything to do with the high line, and that was the last one where we were chasing the lead - even then, the defenders were back in position when the strike was taken.

It's just that our defenders are completely soft, and our midfield offers zero protection.

Oh, and out goalkeeper is crap.

And the entire team are demoralised and haven't had a lead to hold onto as long as anyone can remember.

Joao Felix hit the post at 1-0 when that high line was once again breached. 

For the last four weeks we’ve had a VAR check about an offside (or possible offside) - like replica goals 

On 12/03/2023 at 10:32, Col city fan said:

I agreed with your post until I saw your term ‘monghole’. I’m assuming you’ve spelt what you meant to write incorrectly.

If you did mean to write what I thought you meant to write then you should be ashamed of yourself.

This is 2023 ffs.

Please do enlighten me as to what it was I meant, as apparently I don’t know! 🤣

I’ll try to ensure that future posts meet (or exceed) your expectations sir.

I don't want to go to games any more, I'm dragging myself there and despising almost every moment. It's reached the point I was wanting them to score a second to put me out of my misery and give me a reason to leave. I absolutely hate feeling like this, but the football has just drained every ounce of enthusiasm out of me, combining that with having other priorities in life I certainly won't be renewing. 

On 12/03/2023 at 13:37, st albans fox said:

They couldn’t believe that our defence managed to be so terrible to play him onside - wasn’t even really close either - no need for lines.  They were also shocked by ward’s contribution 

image.png.2dd4978a2b40974f125fd98f8d83bc93.png

Also worth saying that Ricardo is even further back than Faes at right-back and is actually the last defender, but is not included in this image.

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Quite a few left after the suppose second goal Chelsea scored which was quickly chalked off by Var, that was only 25 minutes in! Did anyone here actually leave that early. 

I tried, bloke on the turnstile wouldn’t let me out as it was too early Ha.

In my defence my mates were in town who is not seen in a while and quite honestly I just wanted to meet them for a beer, I’m not usually that bad 

Ended up sticking it out until their 3rd, but I didn’t want to be there one iota.