Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Chelsea post match 1-3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Potter changed Chelsea to a back 4 to respond to our change of shape. So it had Potter concerned enough to do something about it.

I agree we were on top, so making the change at that point probably wasn't needed. But then if he makes no changes and we lose, people will say he didn't change things fast enough.

I am personally not the biggest fan of XG, but these are the stats from this match:

We made enough chances to get something, but our defence cost us -  always a potential problem when playing a high line. We aren't getting it right, meaning it's too easy to get in behind and get high quality chances as a result.

FWIW, I am not supporting the manager. 16 defeats in 26 games would see any manager sacked. Doesn't matter if it was Fergie, Klopp or Guardiola. Ranieri was sacked for much less, and he won us a Premier League title.

I'm not sure even on here there'd have been many who would hold it against him if he'd at least let that period of dominance culminate in either a goal or the game clearly moving back to one of our familiar 'run out of ideas' phases

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I like to feel I’m one of the more rational posters on here. And I can’t remember ever calling for a manager’s head. I even defended Puel and thought we should have given him more time but Brendan needs to go right now. And if he doesn’t then Top has to start taking a lot of the blame too.

I don't actually blame Rodgers now.  He needs putting out of our misery.  

I definitely don't want a change in ownership or any of that nonsense but there have now been numerous poor runs/terrible results/weird tactical decisions/poor man management for Rodgers to have been sacked.  Yet here he still is stinking out our Saturday afternoon. That's on the management team above Rodgers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

No the chilwell goal isn't relevant. We all know ward isn't good enough yet he persists with him. As for the 2 chances that didn't go on you can point to Chelsea playing through us with relative ease over and over again and argue they should have scored more. Disallowed goals not included. 

Ehhh? I stated individual errors. Clearly ward was at fault so its massively relevent.  Amartey scores, different game, KDH scores, different game, you can't deny the facts.

Just now, squidsworth said:

Funny we have players like Soyuncu yet Amartey gets the nod. I remember we were good once, and Soyuncu would give his all. We all think Vardy is past it, but maybe just past Rodgers like half the squad? Toxic fool of a manager, separating fans and players alike. And yet there are still those that want to suck him off. Unbelievable.

Crazy that Cags is always left out 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’m all for making changes when we’re being over-run/outplayed. Today we were well in the game, had some chances and he went and nullified us.

Personally, I’d have been happy with no major changes and go for it at 2-1 down. If we’d done that and lost 3-1, fair enough. 

I agree, but I'm saying I can see why he did it.

IMO it would have been better to keep the same shape but put some of the same players on. Barnes could have played up top with Nacho, Soumare could replace Mendy if he wants to freshen things up.

With today's game, poor defending cost us. What you can put on the manager is questioning if we should be playing a high line or not. Potter made a change and played Mudryk centrally so he could exploit our high line, and it worked out time and time again for Chelsea. So we made defensive errors, but we also put ourselves in a position where those errors are likely to happen.

Maybe we need to be more pragmatic in some of our games, but I don't think we are the type of team that can grind out results.

We are the definition of a team that tries to play a high press, but can't do it properly. That's why we concede so many chances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigMicky said:

Ehhh? I stated individual errors. Clearly ward was at fault so its massively relevent.  Amartey scores, different game, KDH scores, different game, you can't deny the facts.

It's relevant if it's a one off. Saying individual mistakes cost us every game is burying your head and avoiding the issue at hand. If the same errors keep costing us why aren't they being addressed? 

Fofana scores. Different game :dunno:

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Im off out to watch an evening of boxing ‘down town’. Probably a good thing before the FT playground gang spark up.

I’d say one thing first though. Get yersens a decent stream and watch the games before you post in the match thread.

Anyone suggesting that Souttar had had ‘a solid game’ today clearly hadn’t done that. Chelsea scored three, VAR chalked another two off and this was a side who, before today, had scored sod-all in 6/7 league games.

We WUZ wide open at the back. The only thing I’d add is that Big Dan was worse and Faes was worse still.

If Rodgers doesn’t sort out the defensive side of our game, we will be relegated. Of that I have no doubt.

Anyway, at fear of saying ‘I told you so’, over and out and have a decent evening.

The irony of telling people to watch the game properly and then saying VAR chalked off two Chelsea goals.

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It's relevant if it's a one off. Saying individual mistakes cost us every game is burying your head and avoiding the issue at hand. If the same errors keep costing us why aren't they being addressed? 

Fofana scores. Different game :dunno:

You can train all week, instil passages of play and work on set pieces, formations whatever you want. If a premier league player cant score from 3 yards out then that is on them, it happened last week and again this week. Players to blame yet again.

Know this Top .... if we do get relegated and its looking a distinct possibility... this team is not one to bounce straight back ... the championship requires passion and guts and this team has none .... it requires a total clearance of players who let's be honest are not even championship quality... and the fan base is going to be much much smaller .. and as before lots will hold off renewing season tickets until they see what changes are made 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I like to feel I’m one of the more rational posters on here. And I can’t remember ever calling for a manager’s head. I even defended Puel and thought we should have given him more time but Brendan needs to go right now. And if he doesn’t then Top has to start taking a lot of the blame too. 

Would be a fair call this. 

I'm in the same boat (re. Brendan - not  claiming your level of rationality).

Don't want to bang on about it but those three subs today (not even the actual subs... although Soumare?! ...the stupid rigid-idiot timing of them) have pushed me into 'don't even care who replaces him' mode. 

• Like 2

Tried to match them up. Worked for a bit. But Chelsea only had to be better than us today. Our mentality is poor. We are too easy to play against. Had enough chances again but there’s holes everywhere between our midfield and defence. 

We need to stop trying to fit KDH into the team. Gives the ball away a lot. So one footed he’s normally the one that stops our momentum. He’s not offering anything to the team at the minute, for me. 

Special shout out for the ref. How Fofana didn’t get a second yellow for going through the back of Maddison is beyond me. Believe we should’ve had a penalty as well, if the Liverpool penalty that was awarded to them is anything to go by. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Probably, that was a gilt edge chance. But even if that goal is scored, that makes it 2-2. We concede way too many goals. First two today were really bad ones, first one is not being switched on after clearing an initial corner and the second one is poor game management and bad keeping. TBH even the third one was preventable, but they got in behind so many times, that sooner or later one was going to go in.

Our games against teams around us will define if we stay up or not. That last game against West Ham has relegation decider for both teams written all over it.

Yes - and has we have no fight, guts or passion - we will lose and go down