Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swarles Barkley

Your turning point?

Guest Col city fan

Losing 60/70 million Fofana to replace him with Faes and now Souttar was akin to footballing suicide. We sold another top class defender to replace him with Laurel and Hardy.

But we ARE a selling club and Fofana wanted out so we didn’t have much choice.

And the second thing was losing Schmeichel. God knows the amount of times he saved our terrible defence last season. To replace him with Ward was criminal really.

BUT I’ve not forgotten how so many on here were a. Happy to lose Kasper and b. happy to replace him with Ward.

So, you makes yer bed, you lies in it.

7 hours ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Interested to know for those who are Rodgers out, when was the turning point for you?

Likewise, if you think we’re going down, when did your head turn? 

When we bottled 4th the first time. It was clear from that point that things were going to get a lot worse. I was made to look like a bit of a nob the next season, until we bottled it again and it just confirmed my feelings even more. Yes we won the cup, but we didn’t deserve to in my opinion and it was incredibly lucky.

I’ve always struggled with Brendan. It’s felt like the second coming of Puel a lot of the time, even though we have played some lovely stuff at times.

For me, we are not a sideways and backwards club, I want to see us play high intensity football, press like crazy and leave a man or two up when defending corners etc, and playing it out quick to counter when the opportunity is there.

7 hours ago, Noahfence said:

I know we won the cup and finished 5th again but something changed after that 4-1 at Bournemouth. Maybe it’s just hindsight but to me it always felt like that was a turning point, can’t really explain what I mean but I know what I mean lol 

I know what you mean - even despite some highs since then I don't remember ever feeling so baffled by the level of ineptness on show. Knowing we were capable of that.. I've never been able to fully shake it.

We've been 'so' bad at times under Rodgers that I just don't think I can take any serious positives with it anymore. They're the symptoms of a team, and manager with serious flaws.

He's crap. I've no fear at all he'd go elsewhere and do well. He's shown his true level. He's shit.

• Like 4

The 3-1 defeat to Arsenal on 28th February 2021. The last third of our season then went into freefall with some dreadful performances and we never really recovered from the disappointment. Last season was a curious choppy one (though it almost seems half decent now) and this season has been utterly abysmal. Our nine season run in the Premier League has been full of a lot of great memories, but signing off with what will surely be a very anaemic and soulless relegation is a huge anticlimax.

12 hours ago, Stinky said:

Probs spurs or Brighton away this season. Football may have been dour last season but we could get results and come the end of the season, 8th and a European semi final (conference league or not) can't be seen as a failure, so I don't really get why there have been some people out with their pitchforks since like October 2021. 

1) I don’t think wanting a manager out because you think he has run his course equates to ‘getting the pitchforks out’.

2) Some people value other things over where we finish in the league after 38 games. Performances have been beyond awful for actual years now.

3) I enjoyed the Europa Conference League run as much as anyone but let’s not pretend it was a wonderful achievement. It’s been said to death but we got there by bombing out of a group with teams with a fraction of our resources.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lawless said:

Leicester 0-3 Chelsea. 

20th November 2021.

This has been a long, long time coming. 

Same for me. We were fighting it out for top 4 then all of a sudden we looked like a lower league side against them.

They had 3 marginal offside calls go against them, could easily have been 6+

There’s been loads of matches where the manager has deserved the boot. Forest away last year, Rome away, Spurs away, Bournemouth away, Forest away this year, Blackburn home and Southampton away just to name a few. 

Edited by Ian Nacho
  • Like 2

At points last season but the real turning points were his summer  criticism of the squad, the disgraceful one sub in the heat v Brentford and the start to this season. Should have gone minutes after Tottenham away.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Interested to know for those who are Rodgers out, when was the turning point for you?

Likewise, if you think we’re going down, when did your head turn? 

I wanted him gone before we won the fa cup, don’t care what anyone says we were pretty poor in that final and got a lucky win and he’s been dining out on it since. 

After the 4-1 drubbing away to Forest in February last year. It's really not got any better since then, the first 7 games of the season. 22 goals conceded. The most any team has shipped after 7 games of a Premier League season. Ok we went on a decent run of form just before the world cup, where we beat West Ham, Leeds, Everton and Wolves, but that was basically a flash in the pan. I felt more optimistic after the January transfer window after signing Tete, Kristiansen and Souttar. But there's no way Brendan is getting the best out of the new signings, or players who've been here longer. Look at the chances we've been missing. There's a lack of belief in the squad right now. And that belief comes from the manager. A good manager builds players up. Rodgers does the opposite.

Edited by Haywood_6

I was majorly pissed off at Legia. We played a team who were in the relegation zone of the Polish League and had a striker upfront who couldn’t cut it for Leyton Orient. It was about as tricky as travelling to a City game got. Other than Kasper, not another player showed any gratitude. 

However I was willing to accept last season on the notion that a lot of games is hard regardless if you are a big club or not. 

Then the Everton home loss came. Waived again. 

Bournsmouth away this season was the final straw for me. 

• Like 1

To put things into perspective now though, I was absolutely livid last season when we threw that game against Spurs with time pretty much up.

I've just come to expect it now. There's not even a disappointment, just acceptance. Cynically feel the club are content with relegation now too

• Like 2

I can understand several turning points listed.

The ones I can’t understand, are the ones who claim we bottled a top4 finish.  Bottling would imply that it’s a given.  That’s it’s our place - we are NOT a top 4 team.  We were not a top 4 team the year we won the league.  That’s what made it so special - doing something that was not expected.

If you don’t have realistic expectations, you are never going to be happy with whomever takes over after BR is gone.

• Haha 1