Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The 23/24 squad rebuild

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

You're not factoring in the riches of Preier League membership and didn't we borrow against future TV revenue anyway?  I think that relegation would be financial apocalypse.

26 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

I doubt that they'll think like this - the Premier League is the commercial motherland, they won't want to be relegated. 

Also, I doubt Alves nor Braybrooke are ready to be relied upon in the Championship every week. 

Staying up is definitely better. We can rebuild this side, we just need to spend wisely. 

I agree by the way, you just never know how the minds of business people work sometimes! 

On the future revenue thing, that's what I meant by a seasons parachute would keep things steady.... financial apocolypse happens if we don't go straight back up lol 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

I think Ricardo might actually stay given the club have supported him through numerous serious injuries. Just got a feeling hes that kind of character.

Didn't we have the same thoughts about Fofana and his injuries and apparent love for LCFC from his media accounts. I see the difference in career length but maybe Ricardo still has ambitions to paly for his country.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Looking at the squad and our contract situations, I’d think that we only have 11 players you can guarantee will be here next season.

That’s Iversen, Faes, Souttar, Kristensen, Castagne, Justin, Ricardo, Soumare, KDH, Barnes, Daka.

We’re going to need at least 10 I think as a minimal.

This is not what I want, just a prediction.

I don't think we will sign 10 players if we stay up, but we will be desperate to make up the numbers.

Stolarczyk, Nelson & Madividua would be better off out on loan, but stay with the first team instead. Choudhury is too expensive for Watford so he replaces Mendy or Soumare. Also wouldnt write off the inclusion of George Hirst. 2 of our strikers could leave and he'd be a cheap 3rd choice option. 

Obviously this squad depth would be relegation standard, but I think its a realistic rebuild.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I said it in another thread, but I do wonder how much the board have seen what Burnley have done and thought 'that might not be the worst idea for a financial re-set', (I know it sounds farfetched but bare with me...) i'm starting to think they can't see a way out of the hole we are in without having a reason to have a fire sale.

- We'd make an absolute fortune/regain a fortune from being relegated with the players we'd sell and the wages we'd lose. (I can get to £150m just with Madders, Barnes, Castagne and Iheanacho)

- Parachute keeps things safe for a season assuming we go straight back up.

- Means we can get back to signing young players and better wages

- They'll look at a core of Iverson, Souttar, Faes (he wouldn't get bought), Kristiansen (too young to be plucked by a prem team straight away), Justin (a season to recover from injury), KDH (not done enough to be poached) Alves and Braybrooke (both retruning form injury)

- Issue is a whole new attacking line, there's not a single player in our attacking phase who would stay, lots of money to be made by the club there, potentially Daka is loaned for a season like Norwich often do with a big player while they're yo-yoing.

- Not to mention they get shift the goblin out on his massive wages and get a talented younger manager in.

- Could close a stand and get the redevelopment done a season early?

Haven't we signed off next season's TV money, so parachute payments would be taken by that immediately? Or was it just a line of credit against next season's money?

The squad and staff needs a complete overhaul.. we're a club that's in a transition which seems bizarre considering where we were a few years ago.

If we stay up and it's a big IF hopefully it's a wake up call to the club that we need massive freshness.

I think if we go down we'll lose pretty much all but a few players and that could really see us spiral out of control over next few years.

This season really is make or break and it's concerning the club are so against acting to give us the best chance to stay up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

There are going to be so many outgoings, we need to be offering Mendy and possibly Amartey new terms. We need backup players, I don’t want us to be spending sizeable amounts of money on them. Save it for those to make an impression on the first 11. As we saw with Vestegaard, sometimes that’s what 15 million gets you.

Amartey splits the fanbase so much but let's be real - the simple fact he can fill in at CB, RB and even DMF is reason enough to keep him around.

He shouldn't be relied upon as a regular first choice CB, but i don't mind him there either as a sub or, if we must, as part of a 3.

• Like 2

I can’t see Castagne staying in all honesty. He’s never seemed particularly happy and I then he thinks he’s a better than a relegation scrap. Can see him going back to Italy for £15m ish. Then I think we try and replace him with someone in the similar mould to Kristiansen. 

For GK I really wanted us to go for Brice Samba who’s had a great season at Lens but he’s just been called up to the France squad so can see him getting a bigger move than us. Livakovic, Bijlow or Lafont might be more attainable but still good options. 

I think we need at least 2 centre backs and any of these would do:  

Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Anthony Rouault, Anel Ahemdhodzic, Armel Bella-Kotchapp, Kevin Danso, Zeno Debast or Ewoud Pletinckx. 

I think we need at least 3 midfielders to compensate for Mendy, Soumare and Tielemans leaving. For the holding/defensive role I’d like Hjulmand, Abdul Samed, Sofyan Amrabat, Mats Wieffer or Sivert Mansverk. And then any of Kocku, Le Fee, Caqueret or Lazar Samardzic (wildcard) to go with them. 

I’ve named several of the Lens team and I’d love Lois Openda up top as well, he looks phenomenal atm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I can’t see Castagne staying in all honesty. He’s never seemed particularly happy and I then he thinks he’s a better than a relegation scrap. Can see him going back to Italy for £15m ish. Then I think we try and replace him with someone in the similar mould to Kristiansen. 

For GK I really wanted us to go for Brice Samba who’s had a great season at Lens but he’s just been called up to the France squad so can see him getting a bigger move than us. Livakovic, Bijlow or Lafont might be more attainable but still good options. 

Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Anthony Rouault, Anel Ahemdhodzic, Armel Bella-Kotchapp, Kevin Danso, Zeno Debast or Ewoud Pletinckx. 

I think we need at least 3 midfielders to compensate for Mendy, Soumare and Tielemans leaving. For the holding/defensive role I’d like Hjulmand, Abdul Samed, Sofyan Amrabat, Mats Wieffer or Sivert Mansverk. And then any of Kocku, Le Fee, Caqueret or Lazar Samardzic (wildcard) to go with them. 

I’ve named several of the Lens team and I’d love Lois Openda up top as well, he looks phenomenal atm.

we need someone in midfield doing the Mansverk, these signings should be Pletinckx good enough. Just hope we can afford Le Fee

Edited by ParkerPen

10 minutes ago, Dusty said:

French league can be hit and miss 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Take one item... replacing youri.  How much would such a player cost?  We would be better to pay that ammount to youri over 4 years.... as we know what we are getting

.. too inconsistent, we need someone who can give us a 7/10 every game!!!

He has patches where he is outstanding but most of the time ineffective and a liability in some instances.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. too inconsistent, we need someone who can give us a 7/10 every game!!!

He has patches where he is outstanding but most of the time ineffective and a liability in some instances.

Even when Tielemans isn't magnificent, he is still one of our best players. We don't move the ball around anywhere near as well without him. He is usually 7/10 in most games. I'd love him to stay, I doubt we get a replacement as good as him in the summer. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, WoodyFox said:

French league can be hit and miss 

Every league can tbf, we’ve had some pretty good signings down the years from there. Besides Ghezzal, who I think we all knew would be a dud, the only major flop would be soumare. Unless I’m forgetting someone? 

11 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Every league can tbf, we’ve had some pretty good signings down the years from there. Besides Ghezzal, who I think we all knew would be a dud, the only major flop would be soumare. Unless I’m forgetting someone? 

That's enough to put me off for good

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Fousseni Diabaté 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tim1974 said:

Fousseni Diabaté 

Not a major flop in my eyes because he didn’t cost us much and again I don’t think anyone had high hopes for him, pretty sure we only got him because he played for Puels sons team and he liked the look of him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he hadn't ruined so many players through injury, bought so much crap and cast aside so many, or not treated them so badly we'd be in a better place.

Absolutely we would, I don't disagree but, shouldn't someone else have done something about the situation or addressed certain issues? Rodgers appears to have been given cart blanche to do anything he wants at times. 

Surely due diligence was undertaken prior to employing Congerton, what was it about his previous track record that made him such a desirable employee? Was it just on Rodgers say so? What was it in Rodgers past dealings in the transfer market or squad building that led the club to believe their previous model of buying was seemingly worth abandoning? Why have the club allowed such a long and protracted period of deterioration to occur without taking steps to address the situation?