Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The 23/24 squad rebuild

This thread points the finger at the board more than Rodgers unfortunately. Seems obvious but I think a lot of fans still think Rodgers is the big problem. 

I think where we finish this season will determine the future of the club for the next 5 years, it’s that big.

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

If we get relegated Castagne and Ricardo will be gone. 

Don't think it's that straight forward. Look at Watford how they keep hold of Sarr, J Pedro etc. Unless they were gagging to leave then I think they'd stay if we were happy to keep them 

I don't see Soumare still being here. Total square peg at the club. I can only think the reason Rodgers still plays him is for a bit of shop window time. If we go down you can add Ricky and Castagne to that leaving list too. We'd certainly get offers for Justin despite his injuries.

I've never seen a manager bring in 8+ players in a summer rebuild. At any club. Even new managers rarely bring on more than 4 or 5. Closest would be the Martin Allen season and we know how that ended up.

1xGK, 2x CB, 2xCM, 1xRM, 2x ST for me.

I reckon you’ll see some of the names of last summer resurface this. For example the keeper Sanchez at Brighton, who has been dropped recently, and Levi Colwill. 

If we stay up it’s clear that we’re going to need 8-10 new players. Hopefully a couple of these come from the academy, but we’re going to need to be shrewd with free transfers also as we can’t afford to spend £100m+ in a window, even if Madders goes for £50m or so.

Edited by Devonfox1884

50 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Whilst Rudkin's here any rebuild has the potential to be a disaster too.

Squad planning, contract management, youth integration, negotiation, staff recruitment etc has been largely shit for years now. 

If Glover has a major say, I think we could do OK.  Glover being the main driver of the squad rebuild with a new manager is a workable solution.

• Like 1

We cannot let Rodgers be in charge for this, or we will for sure be related next season. He doesn’t know a decent signing if they slapped him in the face.

There’s not many managers who are well known for ‘building’ teams. Klopp, Pep, Fergie, Arteta. The only man I would trust fully with this and is attainable is Pearson. Would have to be alongside Shakey and Walsh tho. Anyone else I think will be a big gamble. Keeping Rodgers would be the biggest gamble. 

57 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Whilst Rudkin's here any rebuild has the potential to be a disaster too.

Squad planning, contract management, youth integration, negotiation, staff recruitment etc has been largely shit for years now. 

I don’t think it’s necessary about Rudkin’s ability. No well run organisation would allow one individual to manage all those tasks. It’s ridiculous on so many levels.  It encourages internal empire building and disharmony. 

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If Glover has a major say, I think we could do OK.  Glover being the main driver of the squad rebuild with a new manager is a workable solution.

It has to be a new manager for me though relegation or not.

For me personally, the two important dates

1. 28th of May (last fixture against West Ham).

2. 6th of June (last date for renewal for season tickets).

Whether in the Premiership or Championship, if Rodgers is gone then we shall be renewing and looking forward, come what may, to a new season. 

If Rodgers remains, even if still in the Premiership, then albeit having been season ticket holders since the 80s, I think we'll be off because I couldn't stomach even another half season of him in charge. I'm sure the club won't give a toss as the tickets will get snapped up but I've never felt such a disconnect with the club as a whole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allenho11 said:

This thread points the finger at the board more than Rodgers unfortunately. Seems obvious but I think a lot of fans still think Rodgers is the big problem. 

I think where we finish this season will determine the future of the club for the next 5 years, it’s that big.

The players we signed 1.5 years ago were done with succession in mind:

Daka - Vardy

Soumare - Tielemens

Vestergaard - Soyuncu

Faes - Fofana 

Bertrand - Fuchs 

it’s not the clubs fault that the manager and scouts keep signing tripe. It’s just in the past that 80 - 100 million outlay normally has returned good quality young players 

2 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

The players we signed 1.5 years ago were done with succession in mind:

Daka - Vardy

Soumare - Tielemens

Vestergaard - Soyuncu

Faes - Fofana 

Bertrand - Fuchs 

it’s not the clubs fault that the manager and scouts keep signing tripe. It’s just in the past that 80 - 100 million outlay normally has returned good quality young players 

perhaps i'm nit picking but a bit unfair including Faes with the others on that list

Iversen - if not good enough look to replace

Smithies

Patterson? 

Ricardo

Castagne

Krsitensen 

Thomas

New signing - Experienced CB (Saiss / Craig Dawson) someone similar to Evans

Faes

Souttar

Amartey 

Evans - if keep on lower contract if he plays more 

Ndidi

KDH

Mendy extension 

New CM - Ward - Prowse??

New CM - Flemming from Millwall (replace madders)

Barnes

Tete - Pay 15mill max 

New signing - Sarr from Watford - 25mill

Saint Maximam? 

Ihenancho 

Daka

Vardy - new manager will get him back to his best 

New signing - Balogun or Nketiah from Arsenal - who ever they willing to sell 

1 minute ago, dylanlegend said:

Iversen - if not good enough look to replace

Smithies

Patterson? 

Ricardo

Castagne

Krsitensen 

Thomas

New signing - Experienced CB (Saiss / Craig Dawson) someone similar to Evans

Faes

Souttar

Amartey 

Evans - if keep on lower contract if he plays more 

Ndidi

KDH

Mendy extension 

New CM - Ward - Prowse??

New CM - Flemming from Millwall (replace madders)

Barnes

Tete - Pay 15mill max 

New signing - Sarr from Watford - 25mill

Saint Maximam? 

Ihenancho 

Daka

Vardy - new manager will get him back to his best 

New signing - Balogun or Nketiah from Arsenal - who ever they willing to sell 

Vards is done mate

signs were there last season 

14 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

perhaps i'm nit picking but a bit unfair including Faes with the others on that list

Yeh I only included Faes as he replaced Fofana he’s one of the only Rodgers signings who’s been half decent. But the others on the list not forgetting Perez who we paid 30mill for just goes to show how shite BR signings are 

• Like 1

I am pretty excited about the summer; a massive chance to overhaul the squad. 

Other than Maddison and Tielemans, not really concerned about any of the others. 

Think the club have been looking towards the summer of 23/24 for a while as a reset.

Edited by coolhandfox

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

I am pretty excited about the summer; a massive chance to overhaul the squad. 

Other than Maddison and Tielemans, not really concerned about any of the others. 

Think the club have been looking towards the summer of 23/24 for a while as a reset.

I think (hope) we stay up but I’m only excited about the re-build if we have the right manager in charge to rebuild us.

IMO Rodgers is no longer motivated to be here so to give him the rebuild would be a huge error