Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OnlyOneCity

Older supporters

15 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

If you can get us 6 tickets together, on the aisle, with a similar view and for the same price then we may move. Especially if I don’t have to listen to kids singing in support of Amartey. 😉

The worse song for the worse centre back. Cringe every time I hear it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Here you go, just so you havent completely missed out.  Just imagine how good they could have been, if they were playing on the carpets that the modern day footballer plays on.  Just as a side note, Wellers goal in this game was not only voted itvs goal of the season, but went on to be voted for as itvs goal of the decade too.  In fact the following season, Weller went on to score an exceptional own goal against Luton too.

That just about summed up Rodney Fern lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnlyOneCity said:

Judging by some of the comments on here, many of the current posters will not be following City once they reach 40 as they seem to object to any older supporters. They seem to be far too concerned about what fans of other clubs think about our fans, whether it’s how old they look or how loud they shout. Palace fans are always held in high esteem by commentators because they sing a lot, but my abiding memory of the FA Cup Final between Man Utd and Palace, was the rows of black jacketed Palace fans behind the goal with NO colours. No identity, they could have been anyone.

True supporters will follow their Club until they die whatever their age.

I couldn't care less about what other fans think about us as there are far more important issues to contend with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Its not long after that you feel that farting loud and smelly in groups is OK because you can't be arsed to hold it in anymore, just look blank when everyone turns in your direction. 

Is that taken from the page of Danny Ward?

I can't remember if it was in a programme or The Mercury, but a few years ago there was an interview with a proper ancient City fan and they asked him what they used to sing when he was a lad and he said they didn't, singing at matches to him was a relatively recent development

49 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I can't remember if it was in a programme or The Mercury, but a few years ago there was an interview with a proper ancient City fan and they asked him what they used to sing when he was a lad and he said they didn't, singing at matches to him was a relatively recent development

We we're definitely singing in the early 60s but then I think chart music was much easier to adopt, adapt and sing.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

We we're definitely singing in the early 60s but then I think chart music was much easier to adopt, adapt and sing.

I wish I could remember where I read it so I could see if I could track it down.

This bloke was proper ancient and went to his first games maybe as far back as the 1920s.

The enduring image of football in the past in the popular consciousness seems to be rooted in the 1970s, and I think that's probably just because that's the first era there's an abundance of colour TV footage from. Obviously there are still plenty of folk about that can remember the 60s well and the decade before that, but go back any further and it all gets a bit mysterious doesn't it?

My Gran is unbelievably still alive and I think probably went to her first and only game before the War, but unfortunately the chances of me getting any sense out of her about what that experience was like are now pretty remote 

10 hours ago, smudger63 said:

To be honest i never thought about the club being a nearly club.  Of course i was aware of our history, losing 4 FA Cup finals, missing out on the chance of doing the double in 63 etc, but they were just my club regardless. We could have been a mid table 4th division team, and i would still have followed us. I just loved football and loved Leicester City.

You mocked those that talk of the Bloomfield team, but they were usually (not always) a joy to watch, which is why they still talk of that team that never won anything.  To still be spoken of 50 years later, in such glowing terms from those that seen them play, when they never actually won anything, should tell you that they must have been a good watch at least.

Im one of the oldies now, and still love Leicester City, i still go down, and football is still a passion, but modern football is a bit shite really, but im sure i have that view because i am old, and remember what i regard a better time. 

If you look at the fans in that video of the Luton game, so many young fans there, just like the young fans of today, but they will now either be dead or old.

Many in that video, im sure will still be going down the City, and they may not be as vocal as back in their day, and  they may not be able to jump around these days, but those that are still going down the City, and many that maybe cant for reasons that they have no control over, are still as passionate about the club as they were 50 years ago.  That isnt something to be mocked by the younger fan of today, that is to be applauded.

Post of the year easy to mock and criticise when you havent been part of it yourself.  I was there as a 15 yr old in that Luton cup tie.  Eric Morcambe who was Luton Town chairman then said, that was the finest display of football I have ever seen by any side that has played here, and the Weller goal was simply out of this world.   Great times, look at the state of the pitch and 8000 Leicester fans wow.

• Like 3

I doff my cap to the older generation who still decide to come. I honestly feel I would have been lost in the modern day football mess and have bowed out previously. 

I remember reading about a core who struggled with the move from Filbo and left their active supporting days behind them.

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I doff my cap to the older generation who still decide to come. I honestly feel I would have been lost in the modern day football mess and have bowed out previously. 

I remember reading about a core who struggled with the move from Filbo and left their active supporting days behind them.

The flip side to that though is, what on earth else is there to do? I absolutely HATE a lot of what's going on in modern football and even closer to home at our football club, but what are these people doing of a weekend when the Blue Army's on?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Yea, I remember seeing a news clip about the Kop at Liverpool and how the singing there started due to the Beatles etc .

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The flip side to that though is, what on earth else is there to do? I absolutely HATE a lot of what's going on in modern football and even closer to home at our football club, but what are these people doing of a weekend when the Blue Army's on?

Thing is now it takes more commitment and finances. Years ago people could be in the pub of a Saturday and suddenly decide to " go down the City ' would struggle with that now .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davieG said:

As an older supporter I believe the general lack of noise is because we're missing a large proportion of c16-c30 year olds as they are generally the ones most likely to do the singing, certainly based on my personal and observational experiences. This age group tends to include more people who can't go to every game, can't afford the the match day prices and like to go with mates, trying to find any seats together is a no no.

There's plenty of ways to support the team but the most effective way is total stadium noise which we only seem to get these days when the ref is a willy puller.

Or when the team drives on with pace and gets us off our seats, often happened with a Pearson, Shakey team, sadly not so often since we started “controlling the football “!

The best atmosphere this ground has every had is during the great escape and the following couple of years when we were playing exciting football. The shit we play now is draining, I come away from the game genuinely bored and no amount of bouncing around is going to stop Brendan telling our CBs to "pass it sideways quicker".

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

Yea, I remember seeing a news clip about the Kop at Liverpool and how the singing there started due to the Beatles etc .

Yeah and when it was first released as a single loads of clubs were singing YNWA, Liverpool persevered with it I suppose as the singers were from Liverpool although it was originally from a 50s Hollywood Movie

• Like 2