Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OnlyOneCity

Older supporters

1 hour ago, Itsthejoeker said:

The best atmosphere this ground has every had is during the great escape and the following couple of years when we were playing exciting football. The shit we play now is draining, I come away from the game genuinely bored and no amount of bouncing around is going to stop Brendan telling our CBs to "pass it sideways quicker".

We played the best football i've seen us play in the 19/20 season. Atmosphere was still poor. Just an excuse

• Like 3

I only expect individual supporters make some noise at the appropriate qué and for themselves not to discourage others from vocally motivating Leicester City on the pitch. If you don't want to have a football team showcasing tepid, ambitionless, sterile & grey play - having 85% of the fans in the stadium summing those exact factors up theirselves maybe doesn't help.

And to add I'm not a massive proponent of having all of the noisy fans hidden away in their own little special corner either. If you have all the noisy folk stationed out on their own the rest of the home support across the stadium suffers. Regardless, we need more passion & noise from the fans.

Guest Fox99
18 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Exactly a reason why the singing section trial must stay on. As without it and L1 a few years from closure where will those that want to stand and sing be able to go?

Much like a family stand and padded seats area. There must a space/stand for all needs.

The only possible silver lining is, if those in L1 are forced out it might mean all like-minded fans can be in one area. This is the case elsewhere at other clubs, for the current section it would clearly grow it out and make it stronger.

Guest Fox99
7 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I doff my cap to the older generation who still decide to come. I honestly feel I would have been lost in the modern day football mess and have bowed out previously. 

I remember reading about a core who struggled with the move from Filbo and left their active supporting days behind them.

I've often wondered about this. It might in part explain why the fanbase is as it is.

2 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

The only possible silver lining is, if those in L1 are forced out it might mean all like-minded fans can be in one area. This is the case elsewhere at other clubs, for the current section it would clearly grow it out and make it stronger.

Why is L1 going to be forced out? 

Guest Fox99
21 hours ago, davieG said:

As an older supporter I believe the general lack of noise is because we're missing a large proportion of c16-c30 year olds as they are generally the ones most likely to do the singing, certainly based on my personal and observational experiences. This age group tends to include more people who can't go to every game, can't afford the the match day prices and like to go with mates, trying to find any seats together is a no no.

There's plenty of ways to support the team but the most effective way is total stadium noise which we only seem to get these days when the ref is a willy puller.

This is what seems to differentiate us from fellow Midlands clubs and wider clubs in the country. Although it's important to point out, those in that age category clearly don't all share the same mentality which I feel is particularly relevant to us. I guess it’s easy to compare to other clubs and their supporter bases without knowing the conversations they're having but I still don't rate our fanbase. Some might not agree but I also think the KP plays a part, aside from it obviously being a 21st century stadium. Unfortunately it does have a slight soulless feel to it which can reflect onto the fans, but it doesn't have to be this way if changes/improvements were made.

4 hours ago, los dedos said:

Thing is now it takes more commitment and finances. Years ago people could be in the pub of a Saturday and suddenly decide to " go down the City ' would struggle with that now .

I would quite often get up on a Saturday morning and decide whether or not to go to a game both home and away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexFT said:

This is what seems to differentiate us from fellow Midlands clubs and wider clubs in the country. Although it's important to point out, those in that age category clearly don't all share the same mentality which I feel is particularly relevant to us. I guess it’s easy to compare to other clubs and their supporter bases without knowing the conversations they're having but I still don't rate our fanbase. Some might not agree but I also think the KP plays a part, aside from it obviously being a 21st century stadium. Unfortunately it does have a slight soulless feel to it which can reflect onto the fans, but it doesn't have to be this way if changes/improvements were made.

Yep don’t think it gets spoken about enough but our stadium is actually soulless. No mention of our history anywhere and an absolute copy of Southampton’s. So generic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lcfc098 said:

Yep don’t think it gets spoken about enough but our stadium is actually soulless. No mention of our history anywhere and an absolute copy of Southampton’s. So generic

I’ve never known someone to consistently moan about something so much, I’d Jack it all in pal and go and do something else with your Saturdays 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Here you go, just so you havent completely missed out.  Just imagine how good they could have been, if they were playing on the carpets that the modern day footballer plays on.  Just as a side note, Wellers goal in this game was not only voted itvs goal of the season, but went on to be voted for as itvs goal of the decade too.  In fact the following season, Weller went on to score an exceptional own goal against Luton too.

Ha! I was behind the goal that day as a 15 year old, went to every game including both semifinal games. Interesting that, in this age of players earning 70,000 a week and getting splinters in the arse from the bench, that a cultured centre half in the game for us called Malcolm Munroe quit football to lorry drive in Canada! Don’t think too many top flight players will be doing that anytime soon aye Vesty??

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

Ha! I was behind the goal that day as a 15 year old, went to every game including both semifinal games. Interesting that, in this age of players earning 70,000 a week and getting splinters in the arse from the bench, that a cultured centre half in the game for us called Malcolm Munroe quit football to lorry drive in Canada! Don’t think too many top flight players will be doing that anytime soon aye Vesty??

I'm pretty sure that Munros last game for us, was the Leatherhead game, where he came from no where to block their motormouth Chris Kelly from rolling the ball into an empty net at the start of the second half. If that had gone in, it would have been 3-0, and unlikely that we would have come back.  I rated Munro myself, but we signed Jeff Blockley and dropped Munro for him. Then he became disillusioned and left the club, and we kept his registration for years, which in them days meant he couldn't just sign for another club, without going through us. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The flip side to that though is, what on earth else is there to do? I absolutely HATE a lot of what's going on in modern football and even closer to home at our football club, but what are these people doing of a weekend when the Blue Army's on?

Plus, if you view it as an entertainment, you still get to see quality players like Vardy (before this season), Maddison, Tielemans, Barnes.

We are viewing it through negative lenses currently but, looking objectively, there is still a lot to enjoy about the team if coached properly.

20 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I'm pretty sure that Munros last game for us, was the Leatherhead game, where he came from no where to block their motormouth Chris Kelly from rolling the ball into an empty net at the start of the second half. If that had gone in, it would have been 3-0, and unlikely that we would have come back.  I rated Munro myself, but we signed Jeff Blockley and dropped Munro for him. Then he became disillusioned and left the club, and we kept his registration for years, which in them days meant he couldn't just sign for another club, without going through us. 

In a side with no shortage of extroverts Malcolm Munro was a quiet unassuming chap & despite being a decent defender you always got the impression he was never properly at home in team sport.

I believe he went to Canada & entered the haulage business.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

At 54 I’m guessing I come into the older fan bracket.

I’ve said before, me and my mates have been through the era of Brian Little, Martin O’Neill, the relegation to League one, Pearson etc.

We all said the season we won the league was the icing on top of the cherry on top of anything else you could think of on the cake.

That was the season I gave up my season ticket. Both for health reasons (prostate cancer) and because I knew it wouldn’t get better than that in my lifetime.

I’ve always liked a ‘cultured midfielder’. Steve Thompson, Garry Parker, Muzzy etc. This is why I always bang on about Tielemans. That player who can change a game with one pass. Clever players, nice on the ball.. that type of thing.

Thats also why I don’t like watching the Amartey’s, the Faes and the Soumares of this world. These guys are athletes, but they can’t play football particularly. Watching them play is no joy at all.

I’m happy now to be an armchair fan. I’ve lived through what I consider to be the best time of football.. the 80’s and the early 90’s when the grounds could be full of tension and proper fan  rivalry. Not nice or pretty, but tense, particularly to the youth of the time.

Nowadays, like lots, it’s so sterile by comparison. Not a bad thing of course, just ‘different’. 

55 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I’ve never known someone to consistently moan about something so much, I’d Jack it all in pal and go and do something else with your Saturdays 

Ffs forgot the LCFC spokesperson is on here to monitor my posts

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, boots60 said:

In a side with no shortage of extroverts Malcolm Munro was a quiet unassuming chap & despite being a decent defender you always got the impression he was never properly at home in team sport.

I believe he went to Canada & entered the haulage business.

Yes, I heard The Birch talking about him on the radio once, and that's what he said too.

2 hours ago, Lcfc098 said:

I agree with a lot of your points, but you have to respect the older generation for continually watching throughout some of the rubbish. Whether they sing or not is redundant, they’ll be here next season in the Championship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lcfc098 said:

The fans would sing louder if we had a few banners up mentioning the PL and FA Cup wins?

Arsenal do that, their ground certainly isn’t generic but it’s still a library.

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

The fans would sing louder if we had a few banners up mentioning the PL and FA Cup wins?

I’m not speaking about our atmosphere. Just about having more things to do with King Power up than our actual club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Not this season. 
The club has done a lot to help it. Throw in the AA and it looks like it is rocking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FoxnNorfolk said:

What about the Mclintock (manager) era ?!!😳😥

I try to erase the McClintock season from my memory. Thanks for reminding me again! :P

Probably up there with Peter Taylor in terms of total disasters, but maybe worse because it all went belly up from pretty much his first game in charge!  Didn't we score the lowest amount of goals ever in a top flight season?  Some awful signings too. A very past it George Armstrong, Alan Waddle, Lammie Robertson, and Roger Davies being the worst. Geoff Salmons probably the best that season, but in the longer term, Eddie Kelly proved to be an excellent signing, when he captained our very young team in our promotion season in 1980, under Jock Wallace, who is probably my favourite manager.

• Like 1