Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Not sure what you’re getting at really 

I’m saying it in my personal capacity and not under my alter ego as a nation 

You are saying a team that qualified for the last euros and only just lost out on World Cup qualification is a pointless game 

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

There's a unique emotional experience with international football. Imagine if we actually did win a world cup - it would be heaven on earth wouldn't it? I think even people who say they don't like international football would shed a tear. We're in the worst position of being perennial losers but being good enough on paper to have a chance, so it's very easy for your imagination to get the better of you every single time as the media hypes it up.

It might be really controversial to say this but that Euros final was by far the most devastating footballing event I've witnessed, so I feel it will take some of the sting out of watching us lose in the quarterfinals for the next 30 years or so.

The English would do what the English do. The whole squad would get mbe’s, Southgate would be knighted and the FA would be hailed as being ‘geniuses’ for appointing him.

We’d hear stories about how ‘it was only a matter of time before Sir Southgate’ got it right and that being under 21 manager before was just the grounding he, and we, needed for success.

I sound cynical, but in this case, it would be warranted. To end so so many years of false dawns, penalty misses and changing of managers WOULD be something special.

For me, it’d be up there with Leicester winning the  Premiership. Not quite, but not far off.

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Sensational performance, well done lads! Great hat trick from Saka too, perfect 

Just as a response to the above discussion I prefer games where both teams start out with a genuine chance of winning i.e competitive sport. That can be at whatever level but too many games are processional formalities as far as I’m concerned. I’m not knocking how England played but more so the system. 

21 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Macedonia aren't normally a team you best by this score to be fair. Credit where its due, we are getting good at pushing these aside rather than making hard work of them. 

This Macedonia team prevented Italy from making Qatar…. And their biggest ever defeat before tonight was 5-0. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Just as a response to the above discussion I prefer games where both teams start out with a genuine chance of winning i.e competitive sport. That can be at whatever level but too many games are processional formalities as far as I’m concerned. I’m not knocking how England played but more so the system. 

I agree with teams like Liechtenstein, San Marino, Andorra ones that have no chance, but Macedonia generally are a team you don’t do this too. We played some excellent stuff and they couldn’t cope. They have proven ability in actually winning games against big sides and qualifying for major tournaments 

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

I agree with teams like Liechtenstein, San Marino, Andorra ones that have no chance, but Macedonia generally are a team you don’t do this too. We played some excellent stuff and they couldn’t cope. They have proven ability in actually winning games against big sides and qualifying for major tournaments 

I don’t think they’ve ever beaten us. I’d prefer to see more games between similar abilities as per Nations League. Then if a team improves it plays at a higher level. I used to be like you. I went to England games, celebrating 9-0 wins and the like but maybe I’ve just watched too much unequal sporting mismatches over the years to have now reached my bah humbug viewpoint 

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I don’t think they’ve ever beaten us. I’d prefer to see more games between similar abilities as per Nations League. Then if a team improves it plays at a higher level. I used to be like you. I went to England games, celebrating 9-0 wins and the like but maybe I’ve just watched too much unequal sporting mismatches over the years to have now reached my bah humbug viewpoint 

We really can't be doing that. Wouldn't the winner of the second division have to wait until the next set of qualifiers to have a chance to actually qualify for the tournament? Every team should have a chance to qualify for every tournament.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I say fair enough, just you aren’t going to get that all the time. Nations League is also just a friendly comp, and teams just test formations and the like well southgate does anyway 

Guest Col city fan
14 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Have you actually seen the stats of the game?

Macedonia had not one shot in the match. Either off target or on.

They we’re as bad as anything we’ve seen from an international opponent in years. 
I think it was down to, in order of importance:

- the high press. It completely worked tonight and overwhelmed the opposition.

- England having ‘one of those’ games where every time they shot, they scored

- The Macedonians being absolutely fookin dreadful.

Confidence breeds confidence yes, but again, take your time and see how we do against an opponent worth playing before you fall into the trap of saying it’s coming home.

I recall a few conversations I had on here immediately after we crashed and burned against France last year about the forthcoming Euro qualifiers. I stated it’ll be more of the same. We’ll cruise through the games and finish top of the group with maximum points. And so we will. No problem at all. EXACTLY as we have done for years. 
When it MATTERS will be the time we’ll see whether this, hugely capable, squad has the minerals to actually win something.

Edited by Col city fan

8 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

We really can't be doing that. Wouldn't the winner of the second division have to wait until the next set of qualifiers to have a chance to actually qualify for the tournament? Every team should have a chance to qualify for every tournament.

In reality they don’t 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

3 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

In reality they don’t 

If we had your system north macedonia wouldn't have stopped italy from qualifying for the world cup. If we took the same logic to club football you have the super league.

Not only is it unfair to the smaller teams it reduces the achievement of winning.

• Like 1

We see the same thing with England as we do with Leicester, a certain breed of fan that cant just enjoy a decent performance without worrying about how an imaginary game years away against Spain or Argentina might go in a major competition. No one on here is saying this win will automatically mean anything long term either.

Bit like Leicester was when some regulars definitely didnt enjoy our FA Cup win because it appeared to paper over the cracks of our overall demise rather letting themselves enjoying our first FA Cup win.

I just dont get how people can follow football or simply operate in life with that attitude (those with mental health issues aside of course).

• Like 1

Just now, TJQuik said:

If we had your system north macedonia wouldn't have stopped italy from qualifying for the world cup. If we took the same logic to club football you have the super league.

Not only is it unfair to the smaller teams it reduces the achievement of winning.

I haven’t specified a system for Euro or World Cup qualifying 

If you want minnows there give them a real chance by ascribing a number of places from pools involving teams of that level of ability and so on right up through the ranks. This would mean that more of the big teams would be at risk of not qualifying although a system could weight places to the higher levels so as to preserve a quality for the finals whilst giving a variety of levels a genuine chance of participating. Thee are just some initial thoughts rather than a bulletproof blueprint to improve the game. I’m not up to that at this time on a Monday night !

In any event, these finals normally only produce 6 or so teams with a genuine chance of winning the tournament. I’m just bored of mismatched non competitive sport. I don’t really see the excitement of the one or two drivers in the fastest cars win the F1 week after week either. 

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, Nalis said:

We see the same thing with England as we do with Leicester, a certain breed of fan that cant just enjoy a decent performance without worrying about how an imaginary game years away against Spain or Argentina might go in a major competition. No one on here is saying this win will automatically mean anything long term either.

Bit like Leicester was when some regulars definitely didnt enjoy our FA Cup win because it appeared to paper over the cracks of our overall demise rather letting themselves enjoying our first FA Cup win.

I just dont get how people can follow football or simply operate in life with that attitude (those with mental health issues aside of course).

The opposite side of the coin is equally valid. Many many City fans were in complete denial that Leicester could get relegated.

That turned out well didn’t it.

Just because some people like to happy clap, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t just as fallible.

In fact, I’d called them berks for doing so.

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

For me it’s just about wanting to see more genuinely competitive games at all levels 

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I haven’t specified a system for Euro or World Cup qualifying 

If you want minnows there give them a real chance by ascribing a number of places from pools involving teams of that level of ability and so on right up through the ranks. This would mean that more of the big teams would be at risk of not qualifying although a system could weight places to the higher levels so as to preserve a quality for the finals whilst giving a variety of levels a genuine chance of participating. Thee are just some initial thoughts rather than a bulletproof blueprint to improve the game. I’m not up to that at this time on a Monday night !

In any event, these finals normally only produce 6 or so teams with a genuine chance of winning the tournament. I’m just bored of mismatched non competitive sport. I don’t really see the excitement of the one or two drivers in the fastest cars win the F1 week after week either. 

I’m the same personally. Whilst people are dribbling over England smashing 7 past Macedonia, I found the game, as a football spectacle, a complete bore-fest.

Id much rather watch England play more competitive matches where we are REALLY stretched and REALLY challenged.

I know these qualifiers give the smaller international sides the opportunity of playing in a tournament but in reality, the last two games against Malta and Macedonia have just been like exhibition matches. If that sounds arrogant, I don’t give a monkeys. It’s the reality.

The only adjunct to that I’d give is that it’s worth it if it provides the smaller teams with money. I don’t know if it does though? Do any of tonight’s gate receipts go to Macedonia? Or do the fat cats at the FA pocket even more cash?

Edited by Col city fan

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

This is without the best group of players we have had for years and years, so yes the quality is there to do something special 

Widely thought to be just about England’s best 11 since 1966:

👍 

IMG_4038.jpeg