Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Widely thought to be just about England’s best 11 since 1966:

👍

IMG_4038.jpeg

Indeed it was, and didn’t we only draw against Macedonia during the euro 2004 campaign. Not sure what we are getting at. The team we have now have been to a final and make qualifying look a piece of cake, something those lot didn’t do 

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The opposite side of the coin is equally valid. Many many City fans were in complete denial that Leicester could get relegated.

That turned out well didn’t it.

Just because some people like to happy clap, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t just as fallible.

In fact, I’d called them berks for doing so.

Agreed that some happy clapped including me for a period but not enjoying an FA Cup win in that moment in time due to worrying about the future? You can be concerned after the match of course but seems a bit extreme not to enjoy the good times too otherwise whats the point?

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I haven’t specified a system for Euro or World Cup qualifying 

If you want minnows there give them a real chance by ascribing a number of places from pools involving teams of that level of ability and so on right up through the ranks. This would mean that more of the big teams would be at risk of not qualifying although a system could weight places to the higher levels so as to preserve a quality for the finals whilst giving a variety of levels a genuine chance of participating. Thee are just some initial thoughts rather than a bulletproof blueprint to improve the game. I’m not up to that at this time on a Monday night !

In any event, these finals normally only produce 6 or so teams with a genuine chance of winning the tournament. I’m just bored of mismatched non competitive sport. I don’t really see the excitement of the one or two drivers in the fastest cars win the F1 week after week either. 

I get it's just a blueprint, but if we did that it would mean a weaker tournament with fewer actually good teams and more shite teams involved. The current process works - give the minnows a chance to qualify (which they sometimes do) but ultimately separate the worse teams from the better teams so the final tournament is more balanced.

If we're bored of hyping up England thrashing another pub team the solution is to not watch it or to just not hype them up.

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Indeed it was, and didn’t we only draw against Macedonia during the euro 2004 campaign. Not sure what we are getting at. The team we have now have been to a final and make qualifying look a piece of cake, something those lot didn’t do 

The best players probably, certainly not the best team.

8 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I haven’t specified a system for Euro or World Cup qualifying 

If you want minnows there give them a real chance by ascribing a number of places from pools involving teams of that level of ability and so on right up through the ranks. This would mean that more of the big teams would be at risk of not qualifying although a system could weight places to the higher levels so as to preserve a quality for the finals whilst giving a variety of levels a genuine chance of participating. Thee are just some initial thoughts rather than a bulletproof blueprint to improve the game. I’m not up to that at this time on a Monday night !

In any event, these finals normally only produce 6 or so teams with a genuine chance of winning the tournament. I’m just bored of mismatched non competitive sport. I don’t really see the excitement of the one or two drivers in the fastest cars win the F1 week after week either. 

With the Euros this effectively happens because of the playoffs centred around the Nations League performance. 

As it stands for example, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Bulgaria will playoff for a place. 

Interestingly as it stands, Armenia, Kazahnstan and Georgia are due to qualify automatically 

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Rooney was on fire that tournament. His injury early in the QF vs Portugal was the end of England's hope.

He was indeed!

I’m just trying again to emphasise the number of false dawns some of us have had over the years with England.

And, at risk of falling into the bloody trap myself, I genuinely do think that next summer we’ll crack it and win the tournament.

BUT if, and only if, Southgate sets us up to attack and to win and  NOT to defend and not lose.

If he does that again, I fear I’ll implode. This squad is good enough now. My fear is that Sir Gareth will be the reason we blow it again.

32 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This game at Hampden will surely be a British record for the latest ever finish. You’ll be looking at 11.15-11.30??

This might just pip it from 1996 at Wolves .

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/bomb-scare-delays-u21-game-1357589.html

I think half of that England team played for you!?

Right old mess.

Officials and Scotland obviously wanted to get the game done.

Edited by Super_horns

15 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

With the Euros this effectively happens because of the playoffs centred around the Nations League performance. 

As it stands for example, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Bulgaria will playoff for a place. 

Interestingly as it stands, Armenia, Kazahnstan and Georgia are due to qualify automatically 

Luxembourg beat Bosnia tonight and Moldova beat Poland - the minnows are improving 

• Like 1

Scotland just edging forward bit by bit. 

Not going to pretend we are the most technically gifted team, clearly we are not but how drilled we are in Clarke's system and how well it suits us is very impressive. 

11 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Luxembourg beat Bosnia tonight and Moldova beat Poland - the minnows are improving 

They most definitely are. 

Except a few sides like San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Malta and Gibraltar, all teams are potential banana skins for bigger teams, which is quite different from 20 years ago.

38 minutes ago, shen said:

They most definitely are. 

Except a few sides like San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Malta and Gibraltar, all teams are potential banana skins for bigger teams, which is quite different from 20 years ago.

Luxembourg's first back to back wins in qualification within 16 years or something. 

Both them and Faroe Islands have really benefitted from the Nations League. Lux's chances of qualification probably hinge on their games v Iceland 

• 2 months later...