Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

On 08/09/2023 at 21:08, Wymsey said:

It would be great if they and the England fans get on well during Tuesday's 150th year anniversary since the two sides first met; but can see quite a bit of trouble, unfortunately..

Was very little trouble in 2014 and 2017.

I know from others that 1999 at Hampden and in Glasgow was off the scale trouble but that’s a generation ago now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Southgate basically only trusts the players that were in the 2018 WC Squad

Can see Scotland turning England over this week even if it’s just a friendly 

Scotland could win 3-0 and the FA would go into hyperdrive to ensure us they have full confidence in Southgate for the Euros and that any change will only be considered when we're dumped out by the first decent team we face again.

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Press up north saying Harvey Barnes fancies pulling on a Scotland top......

My opinion? it's good for the squad. 

Thoughts from the locals who watched him week in week out? 

He'd be a good addition to the Scotland squad, but don't rely on him to be a match winner when you need one. 

Can be a 5/10 as often as he can be a 9/10.

Depends how the Scotland players would take to someone who is English, played for England and changed allegiances after not being called up.

I know this happens often, but usually in the age groups rather than a capped international.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Don't know where he fits in the team to be honest. 

Ability wise, he would automatically become one of our best players but Scotland's recent up-turn in fortunes are a result of a group of players that are decent for the most part playing a system that suits them, that they trust and that they know back to front. That system doesn't have wingers and it would go against what we've been building to change it for one player. 

It's a tricky one. We obviously wouldn't want to turn away such a talent but as mental as it sounds, he wouldn't be a garentee to start. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wortho said:

Southgate should ditch Henderson, Maguire and Pickford. Find other players to fill these positions. 

Actually I reckon Maguire and Pickford have been decent for England.

That said for both ( more) positions,he should be putting more trust in newer/ recent players and select them not for the bench but a few games as starters.

Foden & Rashford,should be starting,with Rice I don’t understand Henderson,Bellingham needs another more skillfull player in Henderson’s position.

More attacking player..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Who is your main striker? If you get a back to goal, link up striker like Iheanacho then Barnes would be great for you. 

He'll be inconsistent but has a real goal threat.

• Like 1

“Make no mistake, this was James Maddison's true arrival at international level. His senior debut back in March against Ukraine before his second cap in the 4-0 trouncing of Malta back in June represented something of a soft launch while still a Leicester player.

It is now three games in four matches that Southgate has opted for Maddison, Bukayo Saka and Harry Kane as his front three - but this was different.

Maddison was the marquee buy for Tottenham over the summer and his early-season form left Gareth Southgate with little choice but to start him in Poland”

So Sky basically saying now you have moved to a top 6 team you can start, thou to those that watch him every week he hasn’t really changed what he is doing we all know the score 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3

I know our fans get pissy about the way we have been spoken about over the years but this general opinion that Maddison will go to new heights now at a "big club" is bizarre. With us he finished in the top five, went deep in domestic cups regularly and played in Europe. He might do none of those this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Corky said:

Who is your main striker? If you get a back to goal, link up striker like Iheanacho then Barnes would be great for you. 

He'll be inconsistent but has a real goal threat.

Che Adams or Lyndon Dykes are our two main striking options. Both would be decent in the role you're suggesting but to fit one of them AND Barnes, we will lose one of Mcginn, Mcgregor, Mctominay and Gilmour and that 4 man midfield is the engine of the team. Against smaller teams we could maybe lose one and play Barnes off of Dykes. That could work. 

I was actually thinking about this earlier after seeing this thread. I wonder how Barnes would fair as our out and out striker? I've been saying for a while that the one thing holding us back from that next step in quality is someone dangerous in front of goal. 

I like both Adams and Dykes but they aren't primarily goal threats and don't give us that sparkle of quality. They are work horses who do their job for the team but we have a squad filled with them. 

We, having watched Barnes for years know he wasn't suited to playing through the middle in the PL with our system but for Scotland, it might be different. 

Scotland play a back 3, wingbacks and 4 CM's. That's 10 men behind the ball, being disciplined and holding their positions.... To have Barnes, just sitting on the CB's, closing them down when off the ball and running at them or behind them when we have it might work... 

You play the system you do currently because it fits your best players. 

No team needs to play a four man midfield and absolutely no team needs to play Lyndon fvcking Dykes. 

Barnes is an obvious improvement to your talent pool and probably walks in to your starting lineup. Hell, even if Gordon also comes you just play them both. They'd enable you to play a more conventional shape, there's a reason most of the world play some form of 433 and not... whatever the fvck Scotland's shape is atm

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Corky said:

I know our fans get pissy about the way we have been spoken about over the years but this general opinion that Maddison will go to new heights now at a "big club" is bizarre. With us he finished in the top five, went deep in domestic cups regularly and played in Europe. He might do none of those this season.

Heard Upson say Maddison is more consistent now on 5Live. Aye, he disappeared for us from March international break 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

That said for both ( more) positions,he should be putting more trust in newer/ recent players and select them not for the bench but a few games as starters.

Foden & Rashford,should be starting,with Rice I don’t understand Henderson,Bellingham needs another more skillfull player in Henderson’s position.

More attacking player..

I think Maguire should certainly be replaced before the Euros. I just hope Southgate is gone soon, he has possibly the best front 6 in Europe. But he is just so negative.

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You play the system you do currently because it fits your best players. 

No team needs to play a four man midfield and absolutely no team needs to play Lyndon fvcking Dykes. 

Barnes is an obvious improvement to your talent pool and probably walks in to your starting lineup. Hell, even if Gordon also comes you just play them both. They'd enable you to play a more conventional shape, there's a reason most of the world play some form of 433 and not... whatever the fvck Scotland's shape is atm

That's the point... We play a system that fits our best players. Our best players are CM's and LB's so we play 4 CM's and 2 LB's in a way that we've somehow mad sense of. 

Like I said, I wouldn't turn him away, obviously as he improves our talent pool massively as you correctly say and for the fact that we are not always going to play without wingers especially if we had him and Ben Doak coming through at Liverpool but I also wouldn't be so quick to move away from a system that fits everyone else when fitting in someone who becomes one of our best players by removing another. Gilmour and Mcgregor as deep lying playmaker and Mcginn with Mctominay as #8s is working and teams have been finding it difficult playing against a non traditional formation. Also, there are replacement to those players, like for like should we need them. Stuart Armstong, Ryan Christie, Ryan Gauld and hopefully Elliot Anderson for the 8's and McCrorie, Jack, McLean and Ferguson for the 6's. If Barnes came in and got injured, there isn't a replacement and we have to change systems so it offers less continuity and stability. 

As it stands, without rocking the boat, Barnes would have to get comfortable playing centrally. Either off a Dykes or an Adams or as a main striker. I would be eager to see how both worked out. 

You build your England team around Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane. 

Pickford

Walker Maguire stones Trent 

Rice, Bellingham, maddison 

Foden kane Saka

For me that's the best we have at the minute, we really have a lack of CBs no idea who will come in to them position in the next few years 

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

More attacking player..

9 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

The 'Harry Maguire always plays well for England''  rhetoric is getting tedious (not on here, granted).

Anyone half decent would look good playing in defence for England against 95% of the teams we face.

This is it though… I quoted my previous post. When it comes to a semi or a final, they aren’t as good as what the opposition have. That doesn’t mean there isn’t anyone better for us, but there’s no harm in giving someone a shot. 

2 hours ago, Wortho said:

I think Maguire should certainly be replaced before the Euros. I just hope Southgate is gone soon, he has possibly the best front 6 in Europe. But he is just so negative.

This is what is frustrating,having his long period positive start with attacking play.

We now seem to be set up, worried not to lose,and some player holding others back by not playing quick ball,or looking for the attacking player…Bellingham ( like hoddle before,maybe now Rashford and previous Sterling), not being allowed to play to his & teams strengths…These are not guys that should be coached,they get enough of  that playing top football with their club sides.

You pick ‚em because they are playing their best football at an higher standard..Dont tell them…“but we want you to do…..“

Yes you put some of your ( has manager) own twists and certain style..but England often England have a group of immaculate

silk purses,then redesign the natural skillsets & copywrite of the individual and end up with Pigs ears.

Or hide their skills at the bottom shelf of the  abattoir,instead of them prancing around showing their preised skills..