Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Euro 2024 Qualifiers

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

They got to a semi-final and final (only losing on pens) in the last two tournaments. So probably not. 

We got a bit of a monkey off our back by beating a 'traditional big team' in Germany.

But going back to 2018, Croatia should've been put to bed. We were 1 up in minutes. As we were in the Euros final v Italy.

In the last World Cup, OK, it was France. Great team. But we fluffed our lines again.

Southgate is dull as fvck, but still cocked up 2 early leads.

I'd love to see what we'd do with a manager that knew what he was doing and gave the players a license to play to their capabilities. 

• Like 3

We (England) needed a player like Bellingham for a very good while - he has the technical attributes that can help unlock tight defences.

I just sense that, with Southgate's often-conservative approach, this team has strong potential to achieve great things with a strong midfield and experience and pace up front - but is being quite wasted, unnecessarily.

England, of course, aren't known for making it easy for themselves.*

It seems like the Southgate era is continuing this, in a different manner.

9 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Scotland had a good spell for 10-15 minutes, but were totally outclassed 3-1 could have been more that 

Yea but their good spell was the plucky bluster, blood and thunder of a 90s British Isle side. They haven’t moved on really. Some of the football we played was fantastic… Bellingham is ballon d’or material! 

7 hours ago, Craig said:

Nah, I was there. There were various chants about him but not that.

They did admittedly stop for a bit when he had your only attempt on target, but soon started again once the two goal lead was restored lol 

My bad. I credited you with being creative, I must have misheard! 😉

38 minutes ago, KFS said:

Jude single handedly makes England a good watch. Don’t even mind an international break when it means we get to watch him silk about playing like that. What a player 

His vision is so good. Seems to make hard passes look so easy.

After the match, pundits doing the usual ... going totally overboard.   

This is the best England team ever, golden generation, Bellingham is a cross between Messi and Maradona, blah blah blah.

We still generally do ok, until we come up against the first really good team in the knockout stage eg Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Spain, Germany) ... and then lose.

When they actually win something, THEN they will be the golden generation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

This is the best England team ever, golden generation, Bellingham is a cross between Messi and Maradona, blah blah blah.

We still generally do ok, until we come up against the first really good team in the knockout stage eg Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Spain, Germany) ... and then lose.

Yep we'll have already won the euro's before it starts.

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

You can definitely make the case that this is the most talented generation of player's we have ever had. In fact I would. 

21 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

You can definitely make the case that this is the most talented generation of player's we have ever had. In fact I would. 

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

That England side between 2004-2012 was heaving with talent who’d won club trophies at home and on the European stage.

Sven, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson (after 2012 I know) deserve to be up in court along with Rodgers for crimes against football. 

What trophies have the current England side won? Foden and Walker aside, I’m struggling to think of many who’ve won anything?

Having said that, Kane is a much better player for England than Rooney ever was. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Would be amazing to see this current team against the Euro ‘04 team. It’s an absolute travesty that team failed. 

Edited by Bert
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

That England side between 2004-2012 was heaving with talent who’d won club trophies at home and on the European stage.

Sven, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson (after 2012 I know) deserve to be up in court along with Rodgers for crimes against football. 

What trophies have the current England side won? Foden and Walker aside, I’m struggling to think of many who’ve won anything?

Having said that, Kane is a much better player for England than Rooney ever was. 

Current squad have about 50 major honours between them, I think. Not as much as the previous, admittedly. I'm not one for praising what is effectively failure, but this generation have achieved objectively far more than any side between 04-12. Also I don't indulge the idea that say the team of '66 or the 90s sides were somehow better, they just weren't. It's a completely different sport now factoring in fitness, skill level etc. 

Edited by kingkisnorbo

1 minute ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Current squad have about 50 major honours between them, I think. Not as much as the previous, admittedly. I'm not one for praising what is effectively failure, but this generation have achieved objectively far more than any side between 04-12. 

I didn’t know it was anywhere near that number 

Either way, my point was that that 04-12 group SHOULD’VE achieved something. There was talent all over that pitch, in each position a world class player. I’m not so sure you can say that about the 11 from last night 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Current squad have about 50 major honours between them, I think. Not as much as the previous, admittedly. I'm not one for praising what is effectively failure, but this generation have achieved objectively far more than any side between 04-12. Also I don't indulge the idea that say the team of '66 or the 90s sides were somehow better, they just weren't. It's a completely different sport now factoring in fitness, skill level etc. 

The 1966 team won the World Cup ... ie were better than all the rest .... and like every World Cup before and since,  the oppo had great players like Pele and Eusebio.

The England World Cup teams of 1982, 1986 and 1990 were absolutely oozing great players, and in all 3 years could easily have gone all the way.   But didn't.   That was deemed a "golden generation" at the time, and in the early 2000's we had another "golden generation", and so we have another one now.   And so on.  

As I said earlier, win something, then you can bask in the glory.

and saying it's a different sport now, is completely irrelevant.   Every team is of its era, and can only try and be the best against what exists at that time.   

(the 1970 Brazil team were a class above everyone else, but no doubt wouldn't be quite as "fit" as today's players)

14 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

This generation hasn't achieved anything, it hasn't won anything. May have got further but the opposition are not as good either.

In 2002 we were knocked out of the World Cup by a Brazil team that inclued Cafu, Lucio, Reberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.. This generation has never come up against a team half as good as that Brazil side. Sorry, I know you can only play what's in front of you, but there's no comparison for me.

15/20 years ago we could pick from Rio Ferdinand/John Terry/Sol Campbell just to play in central defence alone. They are much better than any central defenders we can pick now.

I think Bellingham and Kane are World Class players, and would get into the last generation's team, but I'm not sure who else would. Perhaps Foden on the left. You know, I like Rice but give me Gerrard any day.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

This generation hasn't achieved anything, it hasn't won anything. May have got further but the opposition are not as good either.

In 2002 we were knocked out of the World Cup by a Brazil team that inclued Cafu, Lucio, Reberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.. This generation has never come up against a team half as good as that Brazil side. Sorry, I know you can only play what's in front of you, but there's no comparison for me.

15/20 years ago we could pick from Rio Ferdinand/John Terry/Sol Campbell just to play in central defence alone. They are much better than any central defenders we can pick now.

I think Bellingham and Kane are World Class players, and would get into the last generation's team, but I'm not sure who else would. Perhaps Foden on the left. You know, I like Rice but give me Gerrard any day.

This would be pretty tidy. If i'm actually looking for a balanced team. 

Cole

Terry

Ferdinand

Walker

Rice

Gerrard

Foden

Rooney

Grealish

Kane

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

This would be pretty tidy. If i'm actually looking for a balanced team. 

Cole

Terry

Ferdinand

Walker

Rice

Gerrard

Foden

Rooney

Grealish

Kane

Looking good although I was a big Michael Owen fan, and him in his prime playing alongside (or just in front of) Kane would be great to see.

23 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

We saw in the World Cup that a France team missing half its first XI were too good for us without getting out of second gear. I think we’ve got a good chance of reaching the semi’s but France and Germany (I know they’ve been crap) on home soil will probably have enough. 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

We saw in the World Cup that a France team missing half its first XI were too good for us without getting out of second gear. I think we’ve got a good chance of reaching the semi’s but France and Germany (I know they’ve been crap) on home soil will probably have enough. 

Wasn’t the general feeling that we were unlucky v France to some extent  too .