Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Brendan Rodgers SACKED - OFFICIAL

38 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Exactly, as in the post above this one of yours, I have mentioned this in relation to Southampton having bought a lot of players and spent more. Look at the type of players they have signed, wages will be a lot lower.

Some don’t realise retaining players or new contracts are a form of backing and base whether the manager is backed purely off the number of players who come in the door and how much transfer spend is.

My comment about not sure why we have never really spent is based on our overall time in the league, I.e before wage spiralled. 

I don't think we really needed to spend before though, a few teams are capable of having success for 3-5 years, eventually it becomes harder to keep recruiting up and coming stars consistently, that replace the stars you have made and lost.    Southampton found out a few years back. The mistake we made was allowing those wages to spiral, the moneyball formula that Brentford, Brighton and us before the wage spend gives you more financial wiggle room. I'd argue Fofana was a mini gamble at the time, even though a lot of big clubs were aware of him nobody wanted to spend £30+ million on a guy that had played about 30 games.

Edited by Beachyboy

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

You still just don’t get it.

For the record, here is Southampton’s transfer records, https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/alletransfers/verein/180

The year before last they made more in sales than they spent so that has helped them have a much bigger net spend this year as it helps balance out. They have hardly been big net spenders until this year so you are picking a specific point without the detail around it to make your argument.

Secondly, most of the players are young and will be on low wages. If you sign players on lower wages, you can sign more of them and spend more on transfer fees.

In my post above this one, I have questioned why we have never been able to find more to spend outside of funds made from outgoing across our time in the league. However, it is what is it and I am not in charge of club finances so shouldn’t be expected to know.

The point is though, Rodgers has been backed more than any other LCFC manager in his time here. We have never had net spends of over £100mill. Did Puel complain? Or Ranieri? Or Pearson? Or Shakespeare? No, they all go on with it.

I'm not sure what I'm not supposed to have got, as far as I'm concerned we've gone from one of the best run clubs in the PL to the worst, wasted all our money on Seagrave and an unsustainable wage bill paying ridiculous amounts to average players to the detriment of being able to invest in an declining squad.

For the record I picked the last 2 season because that's when our decline started under Rodgers.

You can go back to 16/17 and Southampton still have a higher net transfer spend £131 to our £114 mill.

But they haven't won the league, FA cup, finish 5th twice or featured in the CL and Europe in that time.

The ride was great whilst it lasted but we've totally wasted a golden opportunity over the last 7 years since the title win  to really establish Leicester as a top PL team.

• Like 4

On 11/04/2023 at 07:38, LCFCJohn said:

The money spent was fine before because Pearson and Puel were excellent as squid building with the right people around them (Walsh and Macia etc) and the right players were brought (mostly).

We need that now - I reckon a squid would make a great replacement for Danny Ward. 

Edited by Charl91
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trooky said:

I'm not sure what I'm not supposed to have got, as far as I'm concerned we've gone from one of the best run clubs in the PL to the worst, wasted all our money on Seagrave and an unsustainable wage bill paying ridiculous amounts to average players to the detriment of being able to invest in an declining squad.

For the record I picked the last 2 season because that's when our decline started under Rodgers.

You can go back to 16/17 and Southampton still have a higher net transfer spend £131 to our £114 mill.

But they haven't won the league, FA cup, finish 5th twice or featured in the CL and Europe in that time.

The ride was great whilst it lasted but we've totally wasted a golden opportunity over the last 7 years since the title win  to really establish Leicester as a top PL team.

I'm not sure what I'm not supposed to have got

Didn’t intend this to come across in an aggressive or condescending way by the way, apologies if it did. Basically about how our finances have been stretched in others ways such as wages. Hence my example of how Southampton have spent more in fees recently and brought more numbers in as they are surely on much lower wages as young players.

we've gone from one of the best run clubs in the PL to the worst, wasted all our money on Seagrave and an unsustainable wage bill paying ridiculous amounts to average players to the detriment of being able to invest in an declining squad.

I do agree with all this of course, the club has been badly run. 

It is about the whether Rodgers has been backed argument and over his time here, it is hard to argue that he hasn’t been backed more than any other managers we have had.

Last summer was a shambles as a result of over pushing based on the success of the previous couple of years in which big contracts were given and players were retained (so no big transfer fee the summer before). All that forms part of backing the manager to our detriment unfortunately!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, KFS said:

Give the Being Liverpool documentary a watch. It sent me from inconvenience to pure hatred of him lol 

I remember watching that a few years ago.  It was cringe-worthy and gave a good insight into his controlling and inflexible character,  I just hoped that by the time he joined us it had mellowed with experience ... apparently not!

On 11/04/2023 at 07:49, trooky said:

Last summer they should have  signed Lookman,  sacked Rodgers, sold Tielemans, Cags, Fofana and started again with a new manager and we would still be a mid-table PL team.

...Lookman was ineffective on the right and excelled on the left!!!

If we had bought him in, he would have been an understudy for Barnes, certainly a luxury we could not afford,  seeing our team was so unbalanced.

Selling Tielemans and Caglar would not have happened,  it is clear they intend to run down their contracts, attempting to force them out would have knocked a sizeable chunk off their individual values.

We got a good deal for Fofana, there wasn't a plan to sell, but Chelsea pushed and the player agitated for the move.

Rodgers should have gone a long time before the start of the season. This is a team very much in the managers image, flat track bullies and weak when the going gets tough.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Selling Tielemans and Caglar would not have happened,  it is clear they intend to run down their contracts, attempting to force them out would have knocked a sizeable chunk off their individual values.

How can you knock a sizable chunk of £0 because that's we'll get for them when their contracts expire this summer and leave for nothing

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

Kasper wouldn’t have negotiated an increase on his previous contract. He, the club, and his agent would know that he wasn’t worth what he was at his peak.

14 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

He’s on 65 grand a week at Nice.

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He wasn’t on 160k per week 

I think he was on 120/125

which ran for another year 

he’s signed for 3 years at nice on around 60/70k 

I’ve no idea what happened to his lost wages over this current season (approx 2.5m).

I would think that he left for one of two reasons 

a) to get away from rodgers 

b) to help our ffp issues and take on a new challenge at the same time 

both of these options were related to the fact that we seemingly weren’t prepared to offer kasper.a new deal beyond this coming summer

If Kasper got a new contract with LCFC it would not have been for 65k as it is in Nice & that i think we could underline, for instance Vardy re-signed Aug 2022 that contract was for £140k per week, those 2 were always the top earners in the club so stands to reason Kasper would have been around the same.
The long & short of it is he would be in that ball park per week playing in the Premier league, the club maybe thought they could pick up a decent keeper for less whilst saving those wages or adding some to the likes of Maddison & Tielemens to bump up a package to try & get them to stay?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

If Kasper got a new contract with LCFC it would not have been for 65k as it is in Nice & that i think we could underline, for instance Vardy re-signed Aug 2022 that contract was for £140k per week, those 2 were always the top earners in the club so stands to reason Kasper would have been around the same.
The long & short of it is he would be in that ball park per week playing in the Premier league, the club maybe thought they could pick up a decent keeper for less whilst saving those wages or adding some to the likes of Maddison & Tielemens to bump up a package to try & get them to stay?

Something doesn't add up, if he was on 140 grand a week and he had a year left on his contract, why sign for another team on 65 grand a week? why not just run the contract down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Something doesn't add up, if he was on 140 grand a week and he had a year left on his contract, why sign for another team on 65 grand a week? why not just run the contract down?

Brendan.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, trooky said:

We have a net spend of £25 million on transfers in the past 2 seasons, Southampton have a net transfer spend of £110 million in the same period.

They haven't won the FA cup, finished 5 twice or played in Europe in their recent history like we have.

I'm not defending Rodgers management or sticking up for him in anyway because even though the team is in decline, they should be good enough for at least 15th position. 

Without getting into his tactics, he chose to play Vardy, Amartey and Ward in too many games which as cost us.

I don't agree with the original post that he's been backed in the transfer market because the facts clearly prove he hasn't.

To be honest, I think we broadly agree.

You're absolutely right that our net spend over the entire Rodgers period has been lower than it should have been. You've fully acknowledged the role Seagrave played in our spending too. The two big caveats I'd put are also things which I think you're taking into consideration: firstly, that much of the backing for the manager came in the form of bumper new contracts for players and especially staff, or in simply keeping hold of players of varying degrees of usefulness instead of accepting lower-range offers for them. Secondly, that our spending up to and including summer 2021 was largely based on being competitive for Europa League and pushing for the CL. Summer 2021 was all about the latter, and I think most of us expected that spending would return to previously modest levels unless we 'went one better' in 21/22. When we didn't even make UEFA it meant we'd overstretched and had to recover past losses. If we'd achieved what our summer 2021 squad, wage bill and spending should, in the eyes of the club, have delivered, we'd be looking at a much higher net spend.

But, as you say, with specific regard to transfer outlay, no, the manager wasn't exceptionally well backed. And as others have pointed out, you can't make players leave, and there are question marks over how low you should go when entertaining offers for the likes of Soyuncu, Tielemans, Ndidi, Iheanacho etc. However the high quality of the inherited squad, lofty wages, improved facilities, failure to meet objectives and the fact that Rodgers-era signings, whether primarily his doing or otherwise, often fell short, are also factors that have to be considered. And these don't reflect so well on the manager.

And, of course, Brighton's net spend is a good deal lower than ours over the same period - so maybe it's not the best yardstick for expectations anyway!

• Like 1

I reckon it’s futile  keeping any thread/topic open for Rodgers. We should close them all. He’s gone a new era (good or bad) begins.

Water under the bridge, opinions quite mute now,because all has been said..

Why carry on killing it..

• Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 15:31, trooky said:

The Club did try. We spent a lot of money by our standards to get: Perez, Fofana, Daka, Vesty, Soumare, Castagne etc over the years. Rodgers has been backed more than any previous managers. As you said though, and I also said over the last few years, we were in a small window with the success we had that allowed us to capitalize on it and step up. We spent the money to try to get to the next level. We had a brilliant squad (the best we had ever) when we choked twice under Rodgers. If Rodgers’ negative mentality and tactics did not start to kick in (hence we choked; btw, this is not new, I saw the failings and I was saying this before the first choke), and we got CL qualifications, we would not be where we are today. The investment would have found their rewards (difficult in this day and age with so many richly backed clubs). Rodgers blew our chances - you may recall how negative our tactics were at the time with sideways football and players holding back and getting scared to attack. Worst, years later, our players have forgotten how to attack and it is now very difficult to undo the damage that he has done. Foxes never quit - where is that mentality now? I don’t remember feeling it for quite a few years now.

So I don’t blame the club for being financially prudent. It is how we got to where we were in the first place. I blame though Rodgers for wasting it and in hindsight the Board for not making the decision to sack Rodgers earlier. I suppose this is the first sacking made by Top after his dad’s passing.

Edited by Tom12345

Is it possible for the club to seek compensation from Rodgers for gross negligence or downright willful misconduct?

Leaving aside the possibility of relegation, he has devastated the value of the squad.

He was leaving Soyuncu out in the cold and allowing him to leave on a free.

He was devaluing player value in Soumare, Perez, etc. It is becoming clear Rodgers has damaged the club way more than just the cost of potential relegation. Maybe Perez could have been some player had Rodgers played him in the right position and with more attacking players around him, allowing them to express themselves instead of playing Rodgerball and being scolded for taking risks.

Edited by Tom12345

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Is it possible for the club to seek compensation from Rodgers for gross negligence or downright willful misconduct?

Leaving aside the possibility of relegation, he has devastated the value of the squad.

He was devaluing player value in Soumare, Perez, etc.

No, that sort of thing would never happen anyway. But the club sat by and let it happen so they were culpable for not removing him much sooner before so much damage happened.

Just now, Tom12345 said:

Cags has indicated for a long time that he wouldn’t sign a new deal. Whether rodgers playing him might have enabled us to change his mind I wouldn’t know …. But there was definitely an issue between them 

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

If this was to be allowed legally, am sure many clubs in the world would follow through on it against their former managers they've sacked..

Wishing thinking, but do see where you're coming from.

Edited by Wymsey

The only thorn he left in was the passing "I'd've kept them up" comment. Where there was no evidence to suggest he would've done and if we still do go down he'll be able to roll that out again if asked at his next job.

We stay up and it's buried imo. Until then it can be a residual motivator, just to make sure he doesn't get the last laugh.

Edited by Jaspa
phone grammar

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

He was devaluing player value in Soumare, Perez, etc. It is becoming clear Rodgers has damaged the club way more than just the cost of potential relegation. Maybe Perez could have been some player had Rodgers played him in the right position and with more attacking players around him, allowing them to express themselves instead of playing Rodgerball and being scolded for taking risks.

He's worse than Taylor ever was.  The way in which Bodgers has undermined the playing squad is something that Taylor, despite his many faults, never quite achieved.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He's worse than Taylor ever was.  The way in which Bodgers has undermined the playing squad is something that Taylor, despite his many faults, never quite achieved.  

Taylor wrecked the team / club through incompetence. Rodgers has done it through spite and small-mindedness. Nasty piece of work.

• Like 1