Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, USMNT Matt said:

Sorry but that's total BS. The Leeds team sucked before he came in and were facing relegation to The Skybet Championship. He came in, told everyone to step back and steered the ship to safety. Did your precious Bielsa do that? Fat chance. I work in data analysis in football and LUFC was hitting all of the key underlying numbers under his control. The board just crapped their pants. Where was Gnonto before Jesse's impact? And Adams?  He turned down a top 4 club to go to Leeds and they repaid him by sacking him as soon as pressure mounted. But what's new, he's American. 

Hahahaha who did he turn down?

9 minutes ago, SK3Blue said:

If its Marsch, I'm done. 

I'd rather go and watch non league. 

me too, strongly suggests club had no real plan after sacking BR...Marsch would be a poor appointment for me..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

No of course it’s far more complex than that but generally speaking Man City and Liverpool have formed their own version of the same style, city play quite narrow too and although they cross the ball a lot much of their success comes from the middle from what I’ve seen, then again they create so many chances it’s hard to tell where their strength is as it’s pretty much everywhere. Liverpool do adopt wider player but defensively high press. 

Christ I’m just appreciative of the fact you’ve actually told me why you think the tactics won’t suit, and I appreciate your concern although I disagree with you on the idea that we can’t play intensive pressing. I don’t think we are able to match bielsa levels of pressure obviously and I think it would need to be adapted for what we have now, but generally speaking I think our players would probably excel more at direct narrow play compared to getting out to Barnes and Tete out wide. I think dropping into the middle would suit then moreto be honestly. All of this chat and we will end up with Big Sam anyway

edited as mispoke: 

I don’t know if I agree with that. I think city very wide, with grealish and mahrez hugging the touch line and then cutting in when they receive it. It makes room for their 8’s to press higher. 

Imo it’s just been quite clear that Marsch has failed at Leeds. He spent a lot of money to bring in his own players and they match his style of play, but they lost the ball so much that they’re always pressing and it’s just impossible to keep it up for 90 mins. I really don’t think our centre backs or goalkeeper can play with that intensive press and high line either. 

For what it’s worth I think Hassenhuttl would be a better option. He kept a really poor Southampton side in the league for a while. I’d have about 20 options ahead of him as well tho. 

4 minutes ago, USMNT Matt said:

Sorry but that's total BS. The Leeds team sucked before he came in and were facing relegation to The Skybet Championship. He came in, told everyone to step back and steered the ship to safety. Did your precious Bielsa do that? Fat chance. I work in data analysis in football and LUFC was hitting all of the key underlying numbers under his control. The board just crapped their pants. Where was Gnonto before Jesse's impact? And Adams?  He turned down a top 4 club to go to Leeds and they repaid him by sacking him as soon as pressure mounted. But what's new, he's American. 

Are you American? 🇺🇸

if so, is it true that the Big Macs out there are bigger than here in the UK?

4 minutes ago, USMNT Matt said:

Welcome Jesse. 

How did the interview go? 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

So we are playing the game of 'careful who you wish for' with Jesse Marsch now?

To be honest, this all depends on the type of appointment. If Marsch takes it as in interim role and we look for other options in the Summer then so be it, especially if we can't find anyone else now. But if he is getting a 2 (and 8 game) year deal, this is a stinking appointment. The board have let the club down waiting this long to get rid of Rodgers, and only have themselves to blame for there being such few interim appointments. 

But, i can't believe for one minute that Marsch will take it as an interim position without some guarantee that he will get the job full time if we stay up. I'm really, really concerned we are about to give this to someone who has proven themselves to be nowhere near the standard needed, when there will be many more candidates looking for this type of job when the season has finished.

Complete mess. And I think the board will be praying to every god out there that SaS get a tune out of the team tomorrow.

I'm not arguing what you are saying, but who do we get? 

Because I dont think we will stay up without an appointment. And then we are fishing in a much different pool of managers

Just now, WarehamFox said:

Sorry for saying this but why are so many fans being so negative? We are shite, the board are shite, Top is shite! We have had the most successful period of our Clubs being and trust me I was down every Saturday in the 80’s! Let’s get behind the City and who ever comes in. We have to be together to stay up! 👍

Think you answered your own question there bud. lol

Compared to Rodgers, and then seeing how similarly clueless Sadler and Stowell are, I’d have ****ing Joe Lycett in charge over any of them so yeah, really not going to get in a tantrum about Marsch like most of the forum is doing!

• Like 2

I think the main issue Leeds had under the counter-pressing system was teams bypassing the press by going long. Usually, Leeds press was "activated" by teams pushing the ball out wide to the full-back or the winger, then the entire Leeds team would swarm across to that side of the pitch and very quickly outnumber the available players around the player with the ball making it impossible to make a pass. Against teams who like to hold the ball and build up pressure it works brilliantly well, but against teams like West Ham it didn't work so well because in order to activate the high press, multiple players need to be pushed up higher such as the full-backs, meaning a ball over the top to the striker makes it difficult for full-backs to constantly sprint back and forward into positions to stop the route 1 attack. 

I watched a video on this a few months ago by one of the big youtube tactical channels but I can't remember which one I'll have to check soon. It was interesting to watch nonetheless and definitely shows a weakness in the Leeds application of counter-pressing, but it's difficult to work out why it wasn't working at Leeds yet works at many other clubs who employ a similar counter-pressing swarm style defence. 

5 minutes ago, USMNT Matt said:

He kept them up on the last day of the season thanks to a great individual performance from Raphina and because Burnley lost 2-0. They also beat a Brentford side that had nothing to play for.

They were getting comfortably beaten this season and creating very, very little. He spent over £100m to get all of his players in and they’ve gotten worse as a result. From everything I heard he was absolutely hated at Leeds because it was clear what he was doing was not working and he never changed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I think a lot of people dislike Marsch because he's American, which is just strange to me. I quite like listening to him. He'll be much more refreshing than Rodgers, he's intelligent, passionate and he's got a good energy about him. The damage has been done this season, let's be honest about it. It's a tough job for anyone with 9 games left. There's not a lot of options out there right now, so if it's him. It's him. I'll give him a chance and get behind the guy.

I don't think most fans care where any player/manager is from imo. It's an international game. Maybe a few will think that USA is not a hotbed for football and may not favour him because of this.

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think the main issue Leeds had under the counter-pressing system was teams bypassing the press by going long. Usually, Leeds press was "activated" by teams pushing the ball out wide to the full-back or the winger, then the entire Leeds team would swarm across to that side of the pitch and very quickly outnumber the available players around the player with the ball making it impossible to make a pass. Against teams who like to hold the ball and build up pressure it works brilliantly well, but against teams like West Ham it didn't work so well because in order to activate the high press, multiple players need to be pushed up higher such as the full-backs, meaning a ball over the top to the striker makes it difficult for full-backs to constantly sprint back and forward into positions to stop the route 1 attack. 

I watched a video on this a few months ago by one of the big youtube tactical channels but I can't remember which one I'll have to check soon. It was interesting to watch nonetheless and definitely shows a weakness in the Leeds application of counter-pressing, but it's difficult to work out why it wasn't working at Leeds yet works at many other clubs who employ a similar counter-pressing swarm style defence. 

Didn't they already point it out? Set pieces and mistakes.

15 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

In terms of achievements, you can't even compare Rafa and Marsch (although they are obvs are different stages in their careers).  But i really struggle to understand how anyone thinks he did well at Leeds. They got massively lucky last season and he was doggo there this season. 

He saved them from relegation. Rafa is finished 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. I think city very wide, with grealish and mahrez hugging the touch line and then cutting in when they receive it. It makes room for their 8’s to press higher. 

Imo it’s just been quite clear that Marsch has failed at Leeds. He spent a lot of money to bring in his own players and they match his style of play, but they lost the ball so much that they’re always pressing and it’s just impossible to keep it up for 90 mins. I really don’t think our centre backs or goalkeeper can play with that intensive press and high line either. 

For what it’s worth I think Hassenhuttl would be a better option. He kept a really poor Southampton side in the league for a while. I’d have about 20 options ahead of him as well tho. 

I agree on that statement, Like Ralf a lot and he did a fantastic job on a shoestring at Southampton. I like the Rangnick/Red Bull approach to football and tbh Marsch probably isn't in my Top 3 of that batch of managers. Jaissle, Ralf and Hutter all sound more exciting to me. Regarding players not being able to keep up the press I think it would be a concern, but not so much for the centrebacks, Marsch's CBs typically don't press very much but do I trust players like Tete or Maddison to high-press? not really. I think that's a major issue with going for someone like Marsch now is that unless he's going to completely ignore his desired tactics until summer, I'm not sure we have the players to fulfil the style right now.