Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

First interview after a 8-0 loss at man city: "to be honest the de-fence wasn't an issue per se, I thought we were too slow on of-fence. Harold Barnes has some strong running and nearly kicked a field goal in the first quarter, but ultimately Manchester were using their timeouts more effectively."

I'm choosing to be positive about this. 

There's no real reason to be but given its match day and we are likely to be raging come 5pm, the last thing I want to do is take more stress on than I can handle. 

*insert pic of that wee dog with the hat in the burning kitchen, here*

5 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Very Puel esk appointment this will be if it happens, board has no ability whatsoever to think outside the box

Puel who saved us from relegation and revamped the squad with quality signings?

• Like 3

I

Just now, Tuna said:

Puel who saved us from relegation and revamped the squad with quality signings?

Though the same, it’s boring and not what everyone wants but if he can get us enough points to stay up it’s the right decision.

55 minutes ago, LeedsW5 said:

Guys, Leeds fan in peace here - let me tell you about Jesse Marsch. 

First of all, he wasn't onto a hiding to nothing coming in after Bielsa. Yes, we loved Bielsa because of his achievements with us and the amazing football, but most Leeds fans could see it wasn't working by the time he went. There was an open mind and a willingness to see what he could do. 

The problem we'd had under Bielsa was three-fold. First, he wanted a tiny squad. We entered last season with 18 senior pros on the books, which meant that when we got injuries (and we got loads) we simply didn't have the squad depth to cover them. Second, we relied on certain players - mainly Bamford and Phillips - to make the system work. With them out, we found ourselves losing the ball a lot more and conceding a lot more goals. Third, Bielsa refused to change. In games needing crucial points he'd go out guns blazing, kids in crucial positions rather than adapt to the players he had available. And this resulted in some pretty hefty defeats, which led to his sacking. Throughout this period we'd had no problems scoring goals, we'd just been conceding far too many of them. 

So in comes Jesse Marsch. His first game (away at you guys) he abandons the man-for-man marking system, marks up zonally at set pieces and operates a far more RB-style trap press, letting you play into certain areas before springing to win the ball back. But the attack he leaves alone, and it is probably the best performance of his entire tenure. Barnes nicks a goal for you guys and we lose 1-0, but a game we'd dominated and deserved all three points. 

From this point on, he sets about dismantling the way we attack. Our attack which had looked incisive ahead of a shaky defence falls to pieces, and the defence doesn't improve massively as he implements his RB system. We are very lucky to nick a last-minute winner at home to Norwich, and have Raul Jimenez getting sent off to thank for three points at Molineux. We get three lucky draws against Saints, Palace and Brighton. Wins against Watford and Brentford on the final day are deserved to keep us up. But throughout this there is no clear upward trajectory in performances, in defensive solidity or in attacking output. Instead we seem to just get some of the luck we'd missed in the first half of the season and nick some results

Which brings us to this season, and the full implementation of Marschball. 

Essentially, it's no more complicated than this:

• Stay narrow to stop the opponent playing through the middle
  • Press the oppo into losing the ball to create chances
  • Pass direct to goal (i.e. forwards through the middle) with as few touches as possible. 

You'll not that there is no plan to use the wings to attack, or to break down a defense while in possession. This is by design - under Marschball these things just don't happen. Which makes it very easy to defend against, as you just defend narrow and sit in behind the ball, playing on the break. This makes the system incredibly ineffective against teams willing to do just that - i.e. the entire bottom half of the PL. We've regularly had situations this year of 4 or 5 players stood around within 5 yards of the ball, all nonplussed as to what they should be doing because there is no attacking plan to speak of when a Marschball team is in possession. This is also why some of our better performances (Arsenal home, Spurs away, Liverpool away) have been against better teams than ourselves who will try and play through the Marsch press, and oftentimes get stuck in it. 

This is also by design, because the RB system was designed to make Salzburg and Leipzig competitive in the Champions League / Bundesliga while competing largely against teams they could simply outspend. You beat Bochum by having a squad worth 400 million euros, not by on-pitch tactics, those are reserved for Dortmund, Bayern and the Champions League. The problem is that in the EPL the quality is a lot higher - both of players and coaches - meaning not only can you not just financially outgun most of your league, but higher-up coaches will spot the way to break the RB system and take it, which is exactly what Brentford did both times we played them, as did you earlier this season. 

Marsch was very lucky not to be sacked earlier this season after we were beaten by Fulham at home in an awful performance, but kept his job after fluking an away win at Anfield and a mad-dash home win against Bournemouth, which should have got him the sack for the manner of the performance against the worst team in the league. When he actually was sacked, after a 1-0 defeat at Forest in which we struggled to create anything at all, it was to the widespread relief of the entire fanbase because there was absolutely no doubt that he was taking us down. 

What would Marsch at Leicester look like? Well I don't see how Maddison fits into his system, or Barnes, or most of your squad really. And I don't think his 'system' will work any better at Leicester than it has at Leeds, Man Utd or Southampton, or any of the other clubs where unreconstructed Rangnick disciplines have coached recently. It's a system out of its time and those coaches that have made it work to a certain degree - Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Rose - have moved away from it to a more possession-based system of management. Marsh at some points looked like he was starting to understand this, but it's like he's a novice manager working out that not everything Ralf Rangnick is true and he needs to work out some new ideas - but has no clue where to start. 

Appoint Marsch now and you may survive this season, but you are without a doubt down next season (probably after sacking him, leaving you in a worse place). He's not a good manager and I wouldn't wish him on any club in the league, except perhaps Chelsea and Manure. 

Fab assessment, thanks. 

I feel there's a panicked, short term feeling towards Marsch as we just want someone to talk us up, as a thoroughly self pitying Rodgers brought everyone down (Rodgers btw had justification to be pissed off, but, the spiteful way he handled it was criminal) 

Respectfully, our players (in theory) are miles ahead of yours and some love and positivity and work rate  might just see us through this season. Our players don't (seem) to do the miles (would be interested to see if a statto can back that up) ....if Marsch came in, said do this, run this, the players would probably figure the rest out. 

beyond this season tho, your excellent post appears disastrous for us. Based on that, I'd just hope to god Marsch recruite some up and coming coach out of nowhere who can form the structure and tactics, whilst Marsch take a more CEO role 

Well done to the board- of all the potential managerial appointments we appear to have settled on Yank Lampard, who’s already been sacked once during this years relegation battle. No imagination at all 

Edited by EnderbyFox

5 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

No please no not Marsch, If anyone from the club is reading this forum please stop and think then don’t appoint Marsch

If anyone from the club is reading our posts on this forum,then we should "Be afraid, Be very afraid!", allegedly. :P

Edited by smudger63