Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Get Rafa

he worked under Ashley and kept Newcastle moving including promotion 

he will sort the squad fitness and organisationally - we need some experience and he has a bit to prove after EFC!

no brainier for me 

Completely agree. We haven’t been able to defend for 2 years. He might be boring but at least he’d sort that shit out, he would give us the best chance of staying up although admittedly we’d need a minor miracle 

4 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I don't know exactly what SPI is, or how it's defined. But noteworthy that it's currently a lot higher than it was when we dumped Sevilla out of the Champions league, and actually not that much lower than where Rodgers was when he came in. If where we are now in terms of 'SPI' is deemed to be relegation worthy then why didn't we get relegated in 2017-18 or 2018-19 when it was much lower? So is this really supporting your conclusions? I could write a different narrative for this graph in that it illustrates just how good a job Rodgers did in his first couple of years to elevate us to unprecedented highs before reverting back down to a level that's still higher than most of the 3 seasons prior to Rodgers.

I'm not defending him here, but I deal with statistics for a living and it's very easy to use numbers to support a variety of narratives depending on how you frame it.

when analysing a managers performance, do you give the manager credit from when he joins, or after a couple of transfer windows? because it seems to me Rodgers took over Puels squad at a perfect time, same with Ranieri. I give Ranieri alot of credit for mentally guiding those players to the ultimate prize but Rodgers couldn't do the same (top 4 finish). I half blame the club for a failure on both these misses on CL as it was obvious we needed signings in Jan to push us on but some of the games in second half of the season squandered were daft and cost us dearly. Some think Pearson/Walsh/shakespeare deserve alot of the the credit for the league win, does Puel deserve the same for our European finishes?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

The only good appointment would be a younger foreign manager who hasn’t been proven a failure in England.

Agree with the rest of your post but not with this. Plenty of good domestic coaches, the board just need to show some outside the box thinking instead of valuing convenience over everything else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian S said:

No one is keeping us up.

We are 2 points from safety and have 3 games in there we can win with the right appointment. The right manager can keep us up, which is why the club are dithering so much. They don’t know how to make that right appointment. 

• Like 4

Guest bennytwohats
12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

when analysing a managers performance, do you give the manager credit from when he joins, or after a couple of transfer windows? because it seems to me Rodgers took over Puels squad at a perfect time, same with Ranieri. I give Ranieri alot of credit for mentally guiding those players to the ultimate prize but Rodgers couldn't do the same (top 4 finish). I half blame the club for a failure on both these misses on CL as it was obvious we needed signings in Jan to push us on but some of the games in second half of the season squandered were daft and cost us dearly. Some think Pearson/Walsh/shakespeare deserve alot of the the credit for the league win, does Puel deserve the same for our European finishes?

All fair questions, and in my opinion you've hit upon the nuance of these things. I think Puel deserves a lot of credit for what he built and hindsight is a lot kinder to his era. But I also wouldn't deny Rodgers the credit for what he came in and did with that squad. People seem to forget how miserable the football was under Puel and in his first half season he really got that team firing, including things like bringing back Jamie Vardy who had been completely frozen out and getting some unbelievable form from him. The comment I replied to put this down to Rodgers being 'anyone but Puel' but I think that's doing him a disservice - this is what he thrives at.

What I think is that you have managers who can build a squad, and managers who can get the best out of a squad. Sometimes the right manager for a squad on the rise can't arrest a slide when things start going in reverse. Those who can do it all are a very rare breed (see Ferguson). You also have to take into account the conditions of the club, available transfer fund etc - some can do a job on a shoestring, others absolutely can't.

Most fans seem to gloss over this and see it in black and white. I still think Rodgers is a very good coach, I think he'll go on to do well elsewhere, I also think he was absolutely not the man for us this season and we were right to sack him. Same with Puel, Pearson, Ranieri - all great coaches at some parts of the job, all miserable coaches at other parts of the job.

Edited by bennytwohats

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Let’s be honest, the club will not do a short term appointment. If we stay up, that appointment will be considered a saviour and given a long contract. So the likes of Rafa, Allardyce etc, are still a disaster. We’ll be stuck with someone no good for us for ages again. A miserable existence.

More than anything, I just don’t want to see negative, passionless football anymore. If we go down, so be it.

The only good appointment would be a younger foreign manager who hasn’t been proven a failure in England. In other words, someone with potential who hasn’t already been picked up by a bigger club and would see us as an attractive gamble.

That won’t happen, so I think it’s bad times until we get new ownership. We’ve well and truly blown it.

lots were negative on a Dyche appointment claiming he'd turn us in Burnley, but he has Everton playing the most attacking football of all of us relegation fighting clubs, Benitez record clearly shows he has more success than failure, he knows this which is why i'd say we're hesitating over his demands, otherwise i reckon he'd be a shoe in. Just because we give him a 3 year, doesn't mean he'd have to be here 3 years, he is right now the best candidate from what i can see

21 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I think Rafa is the best option to keep us up. 

Even if he can’t keep us up when he went down with Newcastle they had a massive rebuild job as well

Lost 15-20 players and signed about 15, then won the league

• Like 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

Even if he can’t keep us up when he went down with Newcastle they had a massive rebuild job as well

Lost 15-20 players and signed about 15, then won the league

He is about the only name mentioned that I think the players might actually listen to. In the sense that they will all be aware of him. Long shot though as our players are all a joke atm.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Has to be otherwise if there accepting going down Chris Wilder could do a job, loves a rebuild that bloke.

I said I would take wilder a few weeks back. Would have put some fire into the team, demanded 100 %fight. Would also have been a good bet to get us back up. Once again the board were asleep  and missed  out again. 

28 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Right, but you're looking back with the benefit of hindsight. I think it's wrong to say that people who didn't want to sack Rodgers couldn't understand how bad we've been, a lot of people expected an improvement and didn't want us to be the kind of club who sack a previously successful manager at the first bad run of form. Over time that argument held less and less weight which is why you saw bigger portions of the fanbase a) accept we weren't going to get back to the high notes of Rodgers tenure, and b) accept that we needed to sack him. I'd also say hindsight has proved the Rodgers out crowd to be right from early on, but I don't recall a single argument that was made that was pulling together graphs like this and showing the decline with analysis - the reasons people wanted him gone were because 'I just don't like him and nothing will change that' and 'he's got chapped lips and claps', so let's not pretend that the Rodgers in crowd were all burying their heads in the sand whilst everyone else was sitting on the sort of analysis we are showing here.

For me the right time to sack him would have either been around September after the Brighton loss or after Blackburn dumped us out the cup. With Brighton I think there was the genuine mitigant against his name that he hadn't been backed in the summer. After the Blackburn game that excuse has gone and it was clear there was no way back, it was also early enough that we wouldn't be in the mess we are right now. Like I say, I know hindsight isn't kind to this view, but I stand by the fact that had we sacked him 18 months ago it would have been premature.

It’s not hindsight though, look at the graph, so many of us on this forum could see what was happening on the pitch, the graph just puts it into perspective of how awful it was yet fans on match day were clapping and cheering it. 
I agree the graphs were made with hindsight in that respect because obviously the results just accumulated and spiralled and that’s when people typically start to graph this stuff out to pinpoint exactly where it went wrong. And I understand the point you make about the weight of the argument to keep him declining. But for the first 6 months of decline I can understand people wanting to give him a chance to turn it around, but there were just so many mistakes mate I think after 6 months of the club falling apart on the pitch should have been a hell of a warning sign. Another 12 months without any booing or making voices known vocally on match day is just inexcusable really. FT was the only place that was actively pointing all of this out even 2 months ago, hell 6 weeks ago the boos were about 50 people it was embarrassing. I can understand it being hindsight regarding these graphs being made, but many people on this forum didn’t need graphs to see just how bad we had gotten but for some reason that didn’t seem to be a majority view until the last 2 months or so, which is probably part of the reason this incompetent board/ownership didn’t pull the trigger earlier. It’s easy to give a manager more time when there’s no public pressure. 

• Like 1