Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

19 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Let’s be honest, the club will not do a short term appointment. If we stay up, that appointment will be considered a saviour and given a long contract. So the likes of Rafa, Allardyce etc, are still a disaster. We’ll be stuck with someone no good for us for ages again. At best, a miserable existence of more boring football that isn’t worth watching and does not get the best out of either our players or English football.

At worst, that manager will be sacked part way through the next season, with us once again struggling and unattractive to the next manager. The same mistakes again.

More than anything, I just don’t want to see negative, passionless football anymore. If we go down, so be it.

The only good appointment would be a younger foreign manager who hasn’t been proven a failure in England. In other words, someone with potential who hasn’t already been picked up by a bigger club and would see us as an attractive gamble.

That won’t happen, they haven’t done their research. They’ve never heard of those managers. So I think it’s bad times until we get new ownership. We’ve well and truly blown it.

You a time traveler?

3 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Kieran McKenna has done a good job rebuilding Ipswich. Bright, young coach with potential. Get him in now to assess the situation and let him start the rebuild in the summer.

Ipswich still have a chance of automatic promotion so he ain't going anywhere just now 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We are 2 points from safety and have 3 games in there we can win with the right appointment. The right manager can keep us up, which is why the club are dithering so much. They don’t know how to make that right appointment. 

I appreciate the stats but have you seen anything that suggests this team could pick up a minimum 11 points from 7 games , obviously discounting Man City. You could make a case for 11 from 6 with Newcastle on the horizon. After 25 from 30 games that would be some turnaround. I am desperately trying to find anything to give me some hope, I had convinced myself we would get a reaction on Saturday and beat Bournemouth and that went well.

4 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

All fair questions, and in my opinion you've hit upon the nuance of these things. I think Puel deserves a lot of credit for what he built and hindsight is a lot kinder to his era. But I also wouldn't deny Rodgers the credit for what he came in and did with that squad. People seem to forget how miserable the football was under Puel and in his first half season he really got that team firing, including things like bringing back Jamie Vardy who had been completely frozen out and getting some unbelievable form from him. The comment I replied to put this down to Rodgers being 'anyone but Puel' but I think that's doing him a disservice - this is what he thrives at.

What I think is that you have managers who can build a squad, and managers who can get the best out of a squad. Sometimes the right manager for a squad on the rise can't arrest a slide when things start going in reverse. Those who can do it all are a very rare breed (see Ferguson). You also have to take into account the conditions of the club, available transfer fund etc - some can do a job on a shoestring, others absolutely can't.

Most fans seem to gloss over this and see it in black and white. I still think Rodgers is a very good coach, I think he'll go on to do well elsewhere, I also think he was absolutely not the man for us this season and we were write to sack him. Same with Puel, Pearson, Ranieri - all great coaches at some parts of the job, all miserable coaches at other parts of the job.

Puel had a problem of linking the final third of the pitch. He played with 1 striker and our midfield struggled to give him service whilst we were playing with 2 holding midfielders, the missing link was Tielemens which Puel had identified and flourished after Puel left. Rodgers maybe a good coach but made huge mistakes as a manager; lost the fans by belittling the club and its achievements and status, falling out and freezing out vital players to the squad, careless in identifying transfers at huge costs to the club and to himself, not being very tactically astute during in-game play. As a result, i think you're right, his experience here will make Rodgers a better manager and coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oz was my hero said:

I said I would take wilder a few weeks back. Would have put some fire into the team, demanded 100 %fight. Would also have been a good bet to get us back up. Once again the board were asleep  and missed  out again. 

Yep, did great at Middlesbrough, look what Carrick has done with the same players, he is now doing no better at Watford.

Really don't know what the club is messing about at .

Just go get Rafa and be done with it..I said that soon as Rodgers was fired yet we are just dithering about..

He's the best candidate. Experience of premier league and championship.

The problem is I think the club is thinking if they stay up then they don't want Rafa to do the rebuild.

They want someone else or think they can attract a better candidate.

This is all going to end up with stowell and sadler taking charge till end of season. Possibly supported by shakespeare then readdress in summer.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

9 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Kieran McKenna has done a good job rebuilding Ipswich. Bright, young coach with potential. Get him in now to assess the situation and let him start the rebuild in the summer.

But there's evidence of these young, high-potential coaches struggling at bigger clubs, getting sacked and losing their credibility a bit - unfortunately.

Unfortunately, as we know, football is a very fine line.

4 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I appreciate the stats but have you seen anything that suggests this team could pick up a minimum 11 points from 7 games , obviously discounting Man City. You could make a case for 11 from 6 with Newcastle on the horizon. After 25 from 30 games that would be some turnaround. I am desperately trying to find anything to give me some hope, I had convinced myself we would get a reaction on Saturday and beat Bournemouth and that went well.

Hence why we need to give it a go with a good appointment now. Everton, Leeds, wolves and Fulham are winnable with the right appointment. Yes, would be some turnaround but that’s what we have to look for. Brendan ball played under Sadler won’t do. 

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

So do we have any idea who the 11th hour candidate was? This came out about the same time as the news broke about Marsch. 

Yeah I bumped this too as from what I remember, Sambiasso didn’t have a name. To me that suggested it was a manager not yet mentioned on FT.

That or a previous target had a changed their minds. 

The only appointment that would have worked was a big name who carries weight with overpaid prima donnas. 

Given the results and impending drubbing next weekend, there is no name who can walk in and create a miracle escape.

That ship has sailed.

The train has left the platform.

The parrot is dead. 

Everything now has to be about a manager who will lead a summer transformation and the work Top is going to do to support a transition behind the scenes and in player acquisition. Anything else is a waste of time, effort and cash. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Really don't know what the club is messing about at .

Just go get Rafa and be done with it..I said that soon as Rodgers was fired yet we are just dithering about..

He's the best candidate. Experience of premier league and championship.

The problem is I think the club is thinking if they stay up then they don't want Rafa to do the rebuild.

They want someone else. 

Half of nothing is nothing 

But they will actually be doing the calculations that when we come straight back up in a years time the sums are not a disaster - keeping the rump of the squad together apart from those that have to leave - that’s an even bigger gamble than they’ve taken this season. 

31 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Let’s be honest, the club will not do a short term appointment. If we stay up, that appointment will be considered a saviour and given a long contract. So the likes of Rafa, Allardyce etc, are still a disaster. We’ll be stuck with someone no good for us for ages again. At best, a miserable existence of more boring football that isn’t worth watching and does not get the best out of either our players or English football.

At worst, that manager will be sacked part way through the next season, with us once again struggling and unattractive to the next manager. The same mistakes again.

More than anything, I just don’t want to see negative, passionless football anymore. If we go down, so be it.

The only good appointment would be a younger foreign manager who hasn’t been proven a failure in England. In other words, someone with potential who hasn’t already been picked up by a bigger club and would see us as an attractive gamble.

That won’t happen, they haven’t done their research. They’ve never heard of those managers. So I think it’s bad times until we get new ownership. We’ve well and truly blown it.

Great post and absolutely correct.

People will disagree with me, and that's fine. but this is why I didn't want us to sack Rodgers. The heirarchy at the club havn't a clue about football.

2 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Clearly the board left it too late sacking Rodgers. Now they don’t know whether to go with someone who could keep us up with previous prem experience - Benitez, Hassenhutl, Marsch etc. 

Or plan for the championship next season and look whose we could get - Robins, Jdt, Carrick, McKenna etc.  
We really are limiting ourselves in both aspects. When we should look abroad in both cases. 

I imagine the decision will be made for them in a couple of weeks time, they can start preparing for the Championship.