Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

People look at his time at Newcastle and Everton and say he's negative. Whilst not entirely untrue there are reasons for it.

But stats don't always tell the full story.

You could equally pick out the stat of: what is the highest ever win in the Champions League?

It's 8-0 and only ever been done twice. Both teams were managed by Benitez. 

That stat obviously doesn't tell the full story either. He's very pragmatic, which can be boring; but in the right situations he can be attacking. It's not all doom and gloom.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

You'd take Rafa if we can get him. I think people are underestimating what a seriously unattractive prospect we are right now. Relegation almost guaranteed, our best players due to leave, limited funds. It’s a poisoned chalice.

But not for managers with less reputation looking to make a name for themselves.

If you only appoint on reputation, without looking into their philosophy and character, of course you are going to have limited options.

If Burnley can get someone like Kompany, who has smashed it, why not us?

• Like 1

It's mostly doom and gloom.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Rafa at this point because survival trumps everything else.  I just hate the thought of being stuck with him for two more years if we somehow stay up.

Edited by Deeg67

8 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Worth remembering that Newcastle squad was shit, he got them up and finished tenth.

Yeah I agree he can be an effective manager, I just absolutely loathed the football they played. I think we will immediately see an impact and get a few results under him and maybe stay up, but then I’m worried the rebuild will be full of players designed purely to fit his system which he has a history of, and the football will be so dross that in 12 months we will probably want him gone anyway, but if it keeps us up then so be it. 

I’ll back him 100% 

27 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The problem is who is gonna come for 7 games? They're gonna be asking for a 2/3 year deal, so we're then stuck with them next season.

If that's the price, sign it, but still sack em and replace em. Just a different way of wording a big bonus to keep us up. Fed up being the nice guys. 

19 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

What is the time frame for Rafa turning us down? Later today or tomorrow? 

Will be tomorrow, after the club telling people it’s a ‘done deal’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

But not for managers with less reputation looking to make a name for themselves.

If you only appoint on reputation, without looking into their philosophy and character, of course you are going to have limited options.

Because we don’t have time for a gamble, for a chance on a unproven manager… we need results now and experience is essential 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

We can, but not a few games before the end of the season. He’s a short term option and everyone including him knows it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

How quickly we forget that Rafa plays abominably boring football.  At this point staying up trumps everything else, and he probably gives us the best (though still small) chance among everybody who might even remotely be a possibility.  But as far as who I'd rather have if we did somehow survive, I'd take Marsch over him any day.  Favors aggression and quick movement of the ball, and likes to use young players.

This is like a pundit’s summary, are you Chris Sutton by any chance??

We’ve had three days of dozens of Leeds fans telling us that Marsch ignores youth, and whilst moving the ball quickly is just giving the ball to the opposition quickly.

Rafa has kept a job at Liverpool and Real Madrid for over a decade, do you really think he played boring football at either?? He’s a pragmatic manager so will adjust his style of play to the players at his disposal, yes that may mean some defensive displays and direct out balls …. You know, kinda like how we became successful! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The way our board have been carrying on we'll probably end up with this bloke

Screenshot-2023-04-10-at-12-46-51.png

Looks more like O' Neill. :crylaugh:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Only issue will be if he's on a long deal and manages to keep us up, which as it stands is probably a decent issue to have. Don't think we should be building around him long-term should we stop up.

I'd back him in the Championship infinitely more than Marsch though, don't want to trot the "knows the league" cliche out but someone who knows how to manage a squad going for promotion in a long season like that is worth its weight in gold. 

At the very least we should have some semblance of organisation about us and the bloke doesn't seem like a complete gimp.

I suppose, in an ideal world, there's a scenario where he keeps us up and then moves upstairs to become a DoF with a young bright coach to take over team duties.....

3 hours ago, Ely fox said:

Yeah S and S are probably thinking hurry up Top and get someone in for next Saturday. Let us get back to sitting on the bench and kicking some balls at the keeper and carrying drinks around. 

...doesn't really require panic stations for this one!!!

A flat back five with three in front and two upfront,  being Vardy Central and Daka far wide in order to have an outball and stretching their defence.

So long as the wingbacks do not push forward we can stop the overloads and force them to come through the middle where there is more traffic.

Any other set up plays into their hands. No Nacho as this will not suit the way he plays.

With Maddison,  Ndidi and Mendy in the midfield we can look to break on them,  by getting balls to the front two as quick as possible, as Man. City struggles with being countered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

This is like a pundit’s summary, are you Chris Sutton by any chance??

We’ve had three days of dozens of Leeds fans telling us that Marsch ignores youth, and whilst moving the ball quickly is just giving the ball to the opposition quickly.

Rafa has kept a job at Liverpool and Real Madrid for over a decade, do you really think he played boring football at either?? He’s a pragmatic manager so will adjust his style of play to the players at his disposal, yes that may mean some defensive displays and direct out balls …. You know, kinda like how we became successful! 

I'd bite your hand off right now for a team that soaks up pressure and plays on the counter. Your last sentence sums it up - with the exception of those 1 in 50 games where Rodgersball actually worked, it's how we've found success over the past decade-plus.

Hell, even Barnes' goal against Villa was from our only bit of direct play we've seen since the Spurs game. Wout Faes got the assist for Christ's sake.

As an aside, the way Roy has got Palace playing should be a timely reminder not to judge a book by its cover until a few games have passed at least.

• Like 1

I think the last few days have shown me that gut feel is important.

My gut reaction to Marsch / MON / Shakey / Smith / NFP was disappointment.

My gut feeling when seeing the Rafa tweet - Relief and excitement that we may actually make the right decision. Finally!!! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's mostly doom and gloom.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Rafa at this point because survival trumps everything else.  I just hate the thought of being stuck with him for two more years if we somehow stay up.

If we were to stay up and there was to be a better option we could always pay up his contract and move on

No downside that I can see on that.

Let’s crack on turning this sh*tahow around.